CLARKE, Mary - Barbados

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).
SusanG

CLARKE, Mary - Barbados

Post by SusanG » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:31 pm

I am searching info on Mary Clarke. She was an English Creole, married to Henry Wiles and they lived in Barbados. She was born in Barbados in 1751. I especially would like to find out the names of her parents.

annohn

Re: CLARKE, Mary - Barbados

Post by annohn » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:53 pm

Hi,
I don't know whether you can help me as well. I have A Henry Wiles born ? Who had a son David c 1831 He came to England around 1860 ? (woking and London). I have the line from him going to Norway.

I notice that you have Barbados. maybe it is west indies which also "contains" Barbados

Yours John Allan

Loviniarose

Post by Loviniarose » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:47 pm

Hi, I have in my family tree a Mary Jane Clarke who got married to John Richard Elliott in Barbados in 1849, maybe she could have been a descendant of your Mary Clarke.

John Richard Elliott was my great great grandfather, Edward Elliott's brother. The witness at their wedding was Francis Clarke. They resided at White Park Road , St. Michael, Barbados

SusanG

Post by SusanG » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:00 pm

My Mary Clarke was married to Henry Wiles and I am trying to find out more about her. The Wiles family which is what I am researching has Creole in and I am trying to find out where in the family line it comes in

Graceofsummer

Post by Graceofsummer » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:39 am

I have a Mary Clark in my tree but thought she was an English wife of Henry Wiles. There is another Mary listed as a "free woman of color" who had several children by Henry Wiles: perhaps as many as 15. Maybe I have the Clark assigned to the wrong Mary. Henry was the brother of James and John. James Wiles, a botanist, sailed on the Providence and completed an 18 month voyage with the infamous Captain Bligh!

palepete

Post by palepete » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:47 pm

I am a direct descendant of Henry Wiles (1771- 1846) - formerly of Holywell, Lincolnshire - who settled in Jamaica with his brothers James and John. My mother Winifred Wiles a direct descendant.

I also know that my gt gt gt gt grandfather Henry Wiles married a Mary Clarke, but I have conflicting suggestions about her ancestry. Some histories in my possession suggest she was from Barbados, and some suggest she may have been the daughter of a Dr Clarke, possibly from Edinburgh, who was head gardener at the Bath Garden in Kingston, Jamaica.

My family tradition passed down to me is that she may have been creole. But I have no evidence for this either way. Indeed all stories may all be true as Dr Clarke himself may have married a creole. But although I believe Dr Clarke's presence in Jamaica is factual, I have no knowledge of any connection he had with Barbados.

I have no information linking Henry's wife Mary Clarke to UK, beyond the vague suggestion that she may have been Dr Clarke's daughter. But I think this deduction was entirely based on the surname, which does not appear to be uncommon.

I would be very interested in any further information anyone has about whether these Mary Clarkes are all the same person, and where my gt(4) grandmother was from.

Return to “Surnames C”