BROWNBILL - Anguilla

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).
Tumaini

BROWNBILL - Anguilla

Post by Tumaini » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:30 pm

Hi there! Seeking information about the surname Brownbill on Anguilla. Any information about folk who carried/carry that name would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Tumaini

Badminton

Re: BROWNBILL - Anguilla

Post by Badminton » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:59 pm

There were some BROWNHILL names in St. Kitts in the 1800 and 1900's.
I have never come across the name BROWNBILL in any old Anguilla documents.

Tumaini

Post by Tumaini » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:59 am

Greetings! I was searching wide when I sought out "Brownbill" in Anguilla. My true target is St. kitts. Please direct me to the source of you info on St. Kitts Brownbill. It was my Grandmother's surname. She as born in the 1860's and died on St. Kitts in 1940. Thank you for your time and effort. I am grateful for all assistance.
Sincerely,
Tumaini

Badminton

Post by Badminton » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:25 pm

NB The name I have is BROWNHILL and not Brownbill.

From St. Kitts Moravian Church Records:
Descendants of Abraham of st.k Woodley

1 Abraham of st.k WOODLEY b: Bef. 1822 in of Taylor Estate, St.Kitts. Carpenter.
. +Isabella of st.k BROWNHILL b: Bef. 1824 in of Coleman's estate, St.Kitts. Labourer. m: August 9, 1845 in St. George's Church, St.Kitts. Bachelor/spinster, both full age. Witnesses, Abraham Duppie, Eve Philip.
====
From St. Kitts Marriage Bonds and Oaths:
Descendants of William Brownhill

1 William of st.k BROWNHILL b: Bef. 1831 in of St. Kitts.
. +Henrietta of st.k BOWREY b: Bef. 1833 in of St. Peters, St. Kitts. m: November 10, 1852 in St. Kitts.
=====
From Anguilla Civil Death Records:
Descendants of Alice of anguilla Brownhill

1 Alice of anguilla BROWNHILL b: Bef. 1921 in of The Valley, Anguilla, BWI.
2 Stillborn BROWNHILL b: December 18, 1939 in of The Valley, Anguilla. d: December 18, 1939 in of The Valley, Anguilla. Stillbirth.
=====
From St. Kitts Marriage Bonds and Oaths:
Descendants of Edmund Bernard Blanchette

1 Edmund Bernard of st.k BLANCHETTE b: 1898 in of Basseterre, St. Kitts.
. +Vivienne Griffith of st.k BROWNHILL b: 1898 in of Basseterre, St. Kitts. m: March 21, 1921 in St. Kitts. Spinster. Both aged 23y.
====

Badminton

Post by Badminton » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:31 pm

There is also the name Brownwell of St. Thomas DVI

Descendants of Isabella of st.th Brownwell

1 Isabella of st.th BROWNWELL b: 1828 in of St. Thomas, DVI. Nurse.
2 Henry Milton of st.th BROWNWELL b: January 3, 1858 in St. Thomas, DVI. Baptised: May 30, 1858 All Saints Church, St. Thomas Virgin Islands. Entry No. 231.
==
There was a James Brownsell of Nevis before 1658. He was in the 1678 Census.
==
An Unknown Brownwell married to Rebecca Temple - reference Caribbeana Volume 2. Family connections to Jamaica.

Tumaini

Post by Tumaini » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:50 pm

Thank you for the extensive body of research.

I believe Brownhill is the closest name to Brownbill for SK that I have I have found. Researching in the old documents, I see legibility is everything and the deciphering of penmanship was a hit and miss affair. It is therefore perfectly reasonable to me that the names could have become interchanged over time. My Grandmother neé Brownbill was married in St. George Parish, the entry mentioning it as a place where perhaps Great great Grandparents also got married. It seems as good a starting place as any.

Did you find this info on Family Search, the Mormon Church research site? I did research at the Mormon Church and that is where the microfiche documentation of my Grandparents marriage was located. Later I went to St. Kitts, to the church of St. George Parish, and got a copy of the original document.

Thank you for your guidance. I am grateful for this valuable research.

Sincerely,
Tumaini

Badminton

Post by Badminton » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:57 pm

No, records from St.Kitts Archives. Viki O'Flaherty is in charge.
You need to check Caribbeana, all volumes, there may well be more names.

Tumaini

Post by Tumaini » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:20 pm

Good morning!

I don't know of Caribbeana or where to locate this information. I know there are Brownbill records, the one, if no other, is my Grandmother's marriage certificate at St. George's Church office. My Great Grandmother's name was Francis Deebles, and she was a midwife. My Grandfather's name was Charles A. Martin. He died young at 45 years in 1908. This Martin family, from before the time of my father's birth, lived in Salt Pond Alley. Their 2 story house (stone frame), is still standing there, however the wood is age destroyed. They were St. George Parish, that information is certain.

I met Viki when I was last at her office 6 years ago. There was a major backlog of files which had, at that time, been recently moved from their old place to the new facility. She could find nothing during my visit as all was higgly-piggly in the new offices. Again, I am grateful for your diligence. If you are willing to share, I am interested to know how you come by this information?

Thank you.

Tumaini

Badminton

Post by Badminton » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:38 pm

http://www.dloc.com/UF00075409/00003
You can find Vol3 there.

Search the net for: Vere Langford Oliver author of Caribbeana, there are 8 books and you'll need to look in the indices for similar names to your family. At the moment I do not have time to search names for you but if you are still stuck in a couple of months, I will try and help again.

I do not have your grandparents names but there is an Eliza Jane Deebles of St. Kitts who married Clement Kliest Caines of St. John ( St. Kitts) on the 24 November 1858. Ref St. Kitts Marriage Bonds and Oaths.

For St. Kitts BMD records contact the Registry Office in St. Kitts. Am sure you can find the address .. Island Civil registration for B, M, D's, I believe started around 1883, certainly in Anguilla, so you might get more info from the Registry Office.

Good hunting.

Tumaini

Post by Tumaini » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:22 am

Thank you. I am grateful for your generous contribution of time and assistance. i shall carry on. Remain well!
Tumaini

Return to “Anguilla”