MYERS - St. Vincent/Trinidad

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

MYERS - St. Vincent/Trinidad

Postby shbro1 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:37 am

Hello,

I am trying to learn more about my great grandfather, Claremont Lawson Myers. So far I know about him the following, including alternative information where given:

Birth date: 1878/abt.1874
Place of birth: St Vincent, West Indies/Port of Spain
Mother: Unknown
Father: 'Kenneth Myers' (?)
Sister: 'Henrietta' (?)
Wife: Violet Clara Susannah Patience (married 3 July 1909, West Ham, Essex, England)
Daughter: Evelyn Melita Myers, born 12 August 1916, New Zealand (my maternal grandmother)
Date of death: 15 March 1953, in Auckland New Zealand
Religion: reportedly Jewish

I have done DNA testing on ancestry.com and matched with a few people living in Trinidad and Tobago, originally from St Vincent, I believe. I have sent some messages, and am awaiting their replies, if any.

I am Australian and have very little knowledge about genealogy or the West Indies, so am not yet sure how to best proceed with my ongoing research on this matter. If anyone is able to point me in the right direction, that would be most appreciated.

Thank you,
Sophia Brownlee
Attachments
claremont myers.jpg
shbro1

Re: MYERS - St. Vincent/Trinidad

Postby bimjim » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:05 pm

That MYERS marriage and death are here...
https://familysearch.org/search/record/ ... e%3AMyers~

A selection of viable PATIENCE records here...
https://familysearch.org/search/record/ ... APatience~

With the passage of various hurricanes and being an earthquake zone ("Caribbean Ring Of Fire"), some records are sparse anyway. In St. Vincent in particular I have heard about piles of what should be archival records sitting in unused damp prison cells and rotting from the bottom up. Even now I hear stories about termites in original record books in the Barbados Archives, and the Director simply locking them in the safe away from public use - I can only assume to give the termites opportunity to eat in peace.

The "foil hat" officialdom in the islands simply do not care, even today.

The LDS (familysearch.org) went through the islands microfilming where they could get permission. If there was the slightest public objection they would close up their equipment and leave. I don't see any records for Claremont Myers in St. Vincent, but many of the microfilms have not yet been converted to data, so you might search the site for the microfilm images and sapend some time running through them looking for the original entries.

Good luck...

Jim Lynch
bimjim
Site Admin

Re: MYERS - St. Vincent/Trinidad

Postby shbro1 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:47 pm

Thank you so much, Jim.

I've still got a few good leads, so here's hoping termites won't be my brick wall. :?
shbro1

Return to Surnames M