ST. HILL - St. Vincent

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

ST. HILL - St. Vincent

Postby Jennie » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:02 am

My great great grandmother was Eleanor St Hill, born 1810 in St Vincent. I would love to have more information about her.
Jennie

Re: ST. HILL - St. Vincent

Postby bimjim » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:15 am

I don't see anything useful in the IGI for that name, hmaybe you might have better luck with two Facebook Genealogy Groups - just go onto facebook and search with the keywords "St. Vincent Genealogy" and you will find them both quickly.

The first is one I created and which nobody has joined yet. Feel free to Post as you wish.
- St. Vincent & Grenadines Genealogy

The second is a closed Group, so you need to request to join in order to participate - just click on the green button marked "+ JOIN" and the admin will let you in when they get to it.
- St Vincent & the Grenadines Genealogy & Family Search

Good luck...
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby tartanpixie » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:51 am

Hello -

Eleanor (Maria) St Hill b.1810 in St Vincent was the daughter of (Charles) Henry St Hill and Isabella Fox. Henry St Hill was the brother of my G G G G grandfather John Randall St Hill and was born in Barbados. I have lots of information on Henry and his numerous other children.

I too am interested in the St Hills of St Vincent. Henry was stationed there by the British government for a few years and a long time ago I had a list of the St Hills born in St Vincent. I have since lost that list and if anybody has access to the St Vincent IGI I would be extremely grateful for a new list!
As far as I can remember Eleanor Maria St Hill had a sister called Mary Eleanor St Hill (by a different mother) who moved to Liverpool in England and had a boarding school there.

Which of Eleanor Marias children are you descended from ? She had two children with Duncan Forbes Sutherland - Ellen Forbes Sutherland (1832-1901), Evena Baillie Sutherland (1836) and one by her husband Thomas Kay, Amy Roberta Kay. Amy went to school in Liverpool (with Mary Eleanor as her teacher).

I believe on the IGI there was a Richard Augustus St Hill who married Amaryllis Collymore. I would really love to know more about this particular branch of the family. I don't know who Richards father was but I think he must be closely connected to my (our!) ancestors. We share lots of the same names, Henry, Charles, Herbert, Amy and Forbes.

Let me know what particular information I might be able to help you with..

Tartanpixie
tartanpixie

Postby Jennie » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:37 pm

My GGrandmother was Ellen Forbes Sutherland. Her mother, Eleanor Maria St Hill's mother was Isabella Fox, father Charles Fox and mother Sarah Buchan. do you have any info of them please?

I am hoping to go to St Vincent next year so any info on where my ancestors lived would be most welcome. I know that the Sutherlands were based at Orange Hill Estate.
Jennie

Postby Jennie » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:45 pm

I would love to chat as we are visiting the UK in May (from Australia) and it would be great to photograph any family places. My great great grandmother was Eleanor St Hil born 1810 in St Vincent, father Henry St Hill and mother Isabella Fox. Eleanor's daughter, Ellen Forbes Sutherland married Augustus Sayers and travelled to Australia. do we have a connection??
Regards
Jennie
Jennie

Postby Jennie » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:53 pm

and good morning from Australia. I will be a spasmodic correspondent as we are in the middle of vintage. I will get back to you after I have checked out my family tree notes.
Regards Jennie
Jennie

Postby Duncan » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:05 pm

Jennie.
When you visit St Vincent I would be happy to show you the ancestral Sutherland estates of Waterloo and Orange Hill and explain how the Sutherlands came by them.
Duncan

Postby Jennie » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:48 pm

I am thrilled to have the contact and Duncan, I will certainly let you know when I visit St Vincent. It will now probably be in May 2016.
Jennie

Postby tartanpixie » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:20 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have been trying to find a connection between Richard Augustus St Hill family and Mary Eleanor St Hill for YEARS and have not got anywhere! I would love to know how they are related! Its great too to hear from someone descended from Susan Darlington St Hill - Hello Maddy :D

Mary Eleanor's father was Charles Henry St Hill and he was my GGG Grandfathers brother (John Randall St Hill)

Jennie - have you got a copy of a book by Ian William? is he one of your clan? It is the history of The Sayers of Geelong west and includes the history of the Ward, Dunt, Sutherland (including references to the St HIlls) and Small family of Birmingham and Tasmania.

If you are coming near Stratford Upon Avon on your UK travels (maybe taking in a little Shakespeare?!) please get in touch too - I would love to meet you!

Victoria
tartanpixie

Postby Fulaan » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:23 am

Hello all. My Great-Grandfather was James Actilous St Hill born March 3, 1884 in Saint Vincent. He was a seaman on the British ship the Grayson. He ultimately settled in Atlantic City, NJ in the United States. If anyone could help with any additional information it would be appreciated.
Fulaan

Return to Surnames S