DUROSSEAU - Barbados

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

DUROSSEAU - Barbados

Postby Samuel » Sun May 06, 2012 9:22 am

Late 17th century early 18th century. I am looking for any information on the Durousseau family especially how they were employed on the Island and which church they would have worshiped in. Samuel the head of the family, was said to be a Colonel and eventualy was appointed storekeeper to the garrison. He was born in Barbezieu in France and his parents were Peter Durousseau and Mary Dannan and he was naturalised in 1693 before the table in the House of Commons.
Samuel

Re: DUROSSEAU - Barbados

Postby junabria » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:29 am

Samuel Durousseau married Martha Hassell in 1690, so had obviously been living on the Island a few years before he was naturalised. He and his family were members of St Michaels Church and Sam was an elected freedholder to the Vestry of St Michaels from 1707 apparently without a break until his death in 1738.

I believe his military ranking is Militia rather than British Army.

Sam and Martha had 1 son and 3 daughters. One of his daughters Mary married a David Aubin of the British Royal Navy and had 3 children......this is my line.

It takes a long time to get records from Barbados, I am still waiting for copies of wills.

I don't know exactly what the Durousseau trade was, but believe that they were connected with the plantations, Martha's father certainly had a small plantation.

I do have some marriage/birth dates if you are interested

Regards Junabria :)
junabria

Return to Barbados