MONTAGUE - Bermuda

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

MONTAGUE - Bermuda

Postby Teadrinker66 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:33 pm

Hello,

I am trying to find details on my Great Granddad, Arthur Jefferson Montague who I know was born 5th November 1868 in St. Georges, Bermuda. Arthur married Fanny Frances King (born 1872 in Portsea, England) in 1889 Portsea Island near Portsmouth, England.

Arthur was in the British Merchant Navy between 1st October 1884 and 17th May 1911 according to a government record. In the 1901 English census Arthur and Fanny’s address is 1A Alma Terrace, Harrow where his occupation is a “Sehooly” Messenger and the 1911 English census at 43 Russell Ave, Wood Green, Edmonton where his occupation is a Bank Hall Porter. How these occupations fit in with the naval record I do not know.

Arthur and Fanny had the following children:

- Arthur Harold Montague born 1902 in Harrow On The Hill, England who was awarded a Mercantile Marine Ribbon and British Medal Ribbon 12th August 1919 and again 8th December 1924 according to a government record

- Achibald Jefferson Montague born 1904 in Harrow On The Hill, England was a motor mechanic who seems to have married Margaret Allanson in 1922 Gateshead, England and/or Anne Hilda Stear (another mechanic) in 1923 St. Catherines, Lincoln County, Thorold TWP, Canada

- Frederick Ivor Montague born 1907 in Kentish Town, London, England was a cook/hotel porter in February 1947 and was sentenced for bigamy in Brisbane, Australia for marrying Eileen Mary Shay 9th March 1946 whilst still being married to Polly Montague (maiden name Zuch). Frederick was later engaged to Gloria Mavis Holding 26th February 1951 where the Brisbane newspaper The Courier indicates Arthur Jefferson Montague had died

- Stanley Leonard Montague born 1911 in Wood Green, London, Middlesex, England

- Alfred George Montague born 29th April 1908 in Wood Green, Edmonton, London, England married Rose Frances Thorogood (born March 1917 in Romford, London, England) was in the Merchant Navy seaman between 31st October 1923 to 28th October 1927 and had tattoos down each arm according to a government record.

Arthur and Fanny had another child although I do not have a name or sex but know they lived and died between the 1901 and 1911 English census.

I am after further information on Arthur Jefferson Montague’s parents names and details to continue my family tree but would welcome any information on the family as a whole. I have contacted the Bermudian Registry office for Arthur’s birth certificate but they have little or no records before 1910. I have a copy of Arthur and Fanny’s marriage certificate which details Arthur as a seaman on the HMS Excellent and his father as Alfred Montague also a seaman.

I would like to get in touch with a Denise Montague who corrected the information regarding Frederick on the Australian Trove website to see if she is a distant relation but she is not a Trove member.

Thanks,

Andy
Teadrinker66

Return to Surnames M