RUSSELL - Jamaica - St Elizabeth

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

RUSSELL - Jamaica - St Elizabeth

Postby Tarnya » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:03 pm

Hi i'm looking to trace my ancestory and am starting with as far as I know back.

My family are from a place called Santa Cruz in St. Elizabeth and their surname is RUSSELL, I'm looking for anyone who may know any of the Russell's of Santa Cruz and maybe their ancestory.

Also I want to trace back as far as I can so please feel free to hand over any tips, I'd absolutely love that.
Tarnya

Re: RUSSELL - Jamaica - St Elizabeth

Postby Russell » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:39 pm

I AM ALSO SEARCHING FOR MY ROOTS IN ST. Elizabeth.

LLOYD RUSSELL
Russell

Postby Tarnya » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:52 pm

Russell wrote:I AM ALSO SEARCHING FOR MY ROOTS IN ST. Elizabeth.

LLOYD RUSSELL

Hi Lloyd,

Apologies, you sent me a message earlier and I didn't get round to replying.
Let’s just say I haven't got very far in my search, one of the main reasons for posting a message was to see if any kind people out there would be able to point me in the direction of a good births and deaths record directory for Jamaica that could really help me with my search.

I only know as far back as my Great grandfather who was called Dorell Russell (any relation??) and also that my family on my mum's side is from a district call Santa Cruz where majority of the [people there have the surname Russell.

So..... big question here is what do you know and do you have any tips on how to find out more????
Tarnya

Postby Russell » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:10 pm

Hi Tarnya

I am doing a lot of my research on the internet and liaising with the records office in St. Catherine.
i have also contacted authors of genealogy for advice.
But as long as you know your grandfathers/grandmothers name and parish you can get a lot on FAMILY SEARCH.ORG,SCROLL DOWN TO CARIBBEAN AND CENTRAL AMERICA , THEN CLICK ON JAMAICA ,THEN NAME SEARCH, its all free, you just have to register.

I live in England and i am getting plenty info, so you can do it as i am still searching,not sure of your name you gave me ,but it is still early days for me.

regards

lloyd
Russell

Postby Russell » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:23 pm

What year was your great grandfather born and parish, so i can keep an eye on him,

lloyd
Russell

Postby Tarnya » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:22 pm

Hi Lloyd,

thanks for all that info. I've got my Mum finding that out for me now so I'll know exactly when this evening however he was in born in St. Elizabeth in an area called Santa Cruz.
Also thanks a lot for the link, I'm going to spend some time this weekend having a look.

Thanks,

Tarnya
Tarnya

Postby Russell » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:40 pm

Hi Tarnya

Let me know the date and year, to see if i can be an assistance to get you started

lloyd
Russell

Postby bimjim » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:14 pm

I suggest you start looking at the IGI and then find the original reco5rtds to confirm what you found... always confirm what you got out of the IGI, for a number of reasons...
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Search/ ... ch_IGI.asp

Here are just a few of the Russell names I found there - in St. Elizabeth only, there are many others in other areas in Jamaica - and by clicking on the name-links in the initial results, like I did, you can "drill down" for more details.

Tip: Make sure you select "Caribbean Islands" from the drop-down "Region" menu.
Tip: At the bottom of each results page is a "next' link that will take you to the next 400 names. Each search will give you a total of about 5,000 names out of the database.

--

Caroline Powell Russell
Christening: 20 AUG 1826 St Elizabeth,Cornwall, Jamaica
Age at Christening: 17
Parents:
Father: Thomas Russell
Mother: Ann Dare

--

Clarence Charles Martin Russell
Birth: 25 JUL 1859 Pleasant Hill, Saint Elizabeth Parish, Jamaica
Parents:
Mother: Eliza

--

David Henry Russell
Birth: 09 MAR 1845 Pleasant Hill, Saint Elizabeth Parish, Jamaica
Parents:

--

Edward Russell
Birth: < 1739> <St Elizabeth Par, Jamaica>

--

Eleanor Russell
Birth: 16 NOV 1840 Melshon, Saint Elizabeth Parish, Jamaica
Parents:

--

John Alexander Russell
Birth: 02 OCT 1856 Pleasant Hill, Saint Elizabeth Parish, Jamaica
Parents:

--

Joseph Augustus Russell
Birth: 13 MAR 1855 Pleasant Hill, Saint Elizabeth Parish, Jamaica
Parents:

--

Margaret Turner Russell
Christening: 28 NOV 1830 St Elizabeth, Cornwall, Jamaica
Age at Christening: 5
Parents:
Father: William Russell
Mother: Grace Ann Barton
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby Russell » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:00 pm

Hi Tatiana

I will tell you what's frustrating for me. I have spent a lot of time researching and finding my own information on Family Search.org on my Russell family, baring in mind I live in England,but getting clarification from JA register Office, takes such a long time, and they are not very frequent with their communication.

Reading these threads keeps you going, especially when we are on a long journey to find our roots. Do you have records of plantations with your family on them. I have traced back to a few plantations of my Russells in St. Elizabeth, eg. Bagdale, Fullerswood and Coffee Valley, but I am finding it very hard to get confirmation.

Regards

Lloyd
Russell

Postby Russell » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:05 pm

Not sure how to go private through this site
Russell

Postby bimjim » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:05 pm

On the RIGHT SIDE of every Post there is a list that looks like this:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------> Username

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------> Posts: XX
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------> Joined: Day Month Date, Year Time

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------> (Button) PM

The quickest way to send someone a PM is to go to a Post of the person you want to send a PM (Private Message) to, click on the PM button (at the right side, as described), and the message form that comes up will be pre-set with the user's address already in it - you can add more if you wish.

Type in a Subject line, then type in a message, click on Submit, and it will be in your Outbox until the Private Message is collected. Then it becomes a Sent message.
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby Tarnya » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:38 pm

tatiana369 wrote:Deleted

Hi Tatiana,

I think you have been trying to send me a message but it keeps being deleted.

@Lloyd - Thanks for all the help that you have sent through, I have been very busty with work and studying but I'm planning to press ahead when I have my days off in October. I will definitely keep you posted as to how I get on.

Thank you!
Tarnya

Postby bimjim » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:55 pm

It appears that Tatiana is deleting those messages... it certainly is not me (the Admin).
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby bimjim » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:31 pm

Sorry, but Tatiana has asked me to delete their account. I have sent them an email privately and I am hoping I may be able to get them to register again or pass on the info through me, but I can't make any guarantees.

If I have any further info for you in the future I will Post it here or send it to the users subscribed to this Post privately.

Jim Lynch
Owner/Admin
Caribbean Surname Index
bimjim
Site Admin

Return to Jamaica