LYNCH - Barbados, St. Michael

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

LYNCH - Barbados, St. Michael

Postby TriniJan » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:07 pm

Hi,

I'm a Lynch descendant living in Trinidad. My great-grandmother came to Trinidad in the 1920's, and was from a clan of Lynch's from St. Michael's Barbados. They were also related to the BRIGGS and BABBS clan from the same area. I don't know if there are any family members left, as they seemed to die pretty much childless, but worth a shot. lol

I would be interested in any information about my great-great-grandfather and beyond, so here goes:

William Lynch (mulatto Irish, merchant) married Dorothy Briggs Lynch (free black)
children:
Maude Leonie Lynch (b. 1896, d. 1997)
George Lynch
Harold Lynch
Aubryn Lynch

relatives:
John Lynch (brother to William)
Dolly Briggs (daughter of Dorothy Lynch's brother, migrated to Trinidad)
George Babbs

So if you have come across these names or think they may be a realtion, give me a holla.

Thanks,

Jan
TriniJan

Re: LYNCH - Barbados, St. Michael

Postby bimjim » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:36 pm

I never found a relationship link between my line and theirs, but there is another Lynch family line in Barbados who produced Louis Lynch - and he created a Secondary School in Barbados which still exists (I believe). There are still many Lynch's in Barbados.

My earliest known ancestor was a "free mulatto" Hamlet Mayers Lynch, whose father I believe to have been Hazel (or Hasel or Hassel or Hassell) Lynch of the white Irish Lynch merchant family in Bridgetown between 1715 and 1800. Hamlet's partner (I have never found a marriage record) was a "free negro woman" Minifred (also recorded as Menifred) Lynch.

From later family records I am led to believe that Hamlet was moderately wealthy... he had slaves and bought several who had the same names as his own family - we can only assume he was taking them out of slavery with another owner and providing them with a kind of freedom. There is a vague record of his buying one of these similarly-named slaves from a Barbadian owner Conrade Adams in military service and stationed in Guadeloupe.

Hamlet and his son, John Richard Lynch, are noted for signed petitions and being part of the political opposition in Barbados in favour of emancipation for the poor and the blacks in a day when a person had to own property - and be white - just to vote and/or to occupy any elected position.

A descendant of Hamlet Lynch and John Richard Lynch is James Alsop Lynch, another outstanding Barbadian who is listed somewhere as a cooper (barrel-maker), and started James A. Lynch and Company, which appears to have made him very wealthy. His son, James Challenor Lynch, was one of the founders of the Barbados Museum.

Apparently all of the white Irish Lynch families in the Caribbean - Jamaica, Barbados, Antigua, Montserrat, Nevis, St. Kitts (that I know of, possibly Grenada and Trinidad as well) - are all of the same family which originated in Galway, Ireland.
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby TriniJan » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:00 am

Let me see what else I can remember. Grama often talked about her father's estate and life on the estate. Not sure whether it was some kind farm or plantation. I wonder if land records can shed any light?

I remember her nephew was a prominent banker, Leary Lynch, who was murdered by his wife in Jamaica. This is an article on the case:

http://m.jamaicaobserver.com/mobile/new ... n_11225431

Only one of her brothers had children and with the death of Leary thus ended the rest of this Lynch branch. So the only descendants of this family now are her descendants here in Trinidad lol.
TriniJan

Postby bimjim » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:13 am

Sorry, no Leary in my family "hedge", either. But, apart from my direct line and many of the early ancestors, most of the names in the other branches of my family seem to have disappeared.

I have also been trying to contact the son of Louis Lynch, a prominent Barbadian after whom a Secondary school is named, but he does not return my emails (they don't bounce, either).

Please advise if you find anything else out... thanks much in advance.

Jim Lynch
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby Maxwell » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:19 am

I'm looking for any information about Angelina Lynch (born around 1859), who married a William Blackman in St Michael/Barbados in 1882, and her children.I'm also looking for info about William Blackman's parents and his siblings.
Maxwell

Postby TriniJan » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:09 pm

Hi Jim,

Just found out some info on my Lynch line. I always knew one of my great-grandmother's brothers went to work on building the Panama Canal (Harold I believe). But now I'm told the eldest brother (George) went to Cuba and the family never heard from him again. He went just before the revolution and it is believed he could not get out. No idea what happened to him.

So there may be a Lynch link in Cuba... amazing.
TriniJan

Postby Jblyn51 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:06 pm

Hello There,

I am a Lynch descendant from Panama and I'm interested to see how far back I can go...

The only relative I can find info on is my great grandfather...

My great grandfather worked in the Canal Zone and started when he was 19 according to a 1930 US Census record I found that lists him as a "boarder" and "waiter" in the Hospital (presumably Gorgas). US records also show a "request for metal check issue" record that lists my great grandfather as having a birthdate of 12/01/1909. Comparing both records reveal that my grandfather may have been raised on the Canal Zone as the census record notes of his immigration to the zone from Barbados in 1911 (2 years old).

My great grandfather was also called "Briggs" but his name was Egbert Lynch on record. He went on to name his son (my grandfather) the same.

As I don't have much info on my great grandmother, I'm hoping to find some connections here...
Jblyn51

Postby bimjim » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:58 pm

TriniJan,

I have 11 George in my database, most listed for Barbados. Do you have a DOB for your George? Even approximate?

I am sure there is a Lynch link in Cuba. Che Guevera's middle name was Lynch.

Jblyn51,

Sorry, I have no Egbert in my Barbados-centric "hedge", but for at least 20 years I have been trying to find out where all my other family went to since 1804. My "brick wall" ancestor had seven children, I am sure three of the four males survived, but the only one I can follow through the records is my direct line to just one of them.

I believe hurricanes destroyed the earliest records, hence the "brick wall", but it seems to me I should be able to find SOMEbody who is related.

Onwards and upwards...
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby Jblyn51 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:41 pm

I see...

My great grandfather is where the line stops for me. I'd love to know exactly what country my family came from before coming to Barbados.

I've linked some documents here...
Attachments
IMG_6132.JPG
IMG_6135.JPG
Jblyn51

Postby bimjim » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:14 pm

Born in 1911, 19 in the 1930 Census. You may have these already...

I don't know if he was a young man out working and boarding at the Hospital, but if you allow that people were getting together - or getting married - and having children as young as 16 back then there is at least one family he might fit into below... going by the Rules of the Census, if he lived at the Hospital then he would not have been included in the enumeration at home.

Good luck.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XCVY-R2M

Egbert Lynch
United States Census, 1930
Name Egbert Lynch
Event Type Census
Event Date 1930
Event Place Ancon, Balboa District, Panama Canal Zone
Gender Male
Age 19
Marital Status Single
Race Negro
Race (Original) Negro
Relationship to Head of Household Boarder
Relationship to Head of Household (Original) Boarder
Birth Year (Estimated) 1911
Birthplace Barbados
Immigration Year 1911
Father's Birthplace Barbados
Mother's Birthplace Barbados
Sheet Letter A
Sheet Number 17

Citing this Record
"United States Census, 1930," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XCVY-R2M : accessed 13 November 2017), Egbert Lynch, Ancon, Balboa District, Panama Canal Zone; citing enumeration district (ED) ED 1, sheet 17A, line 8, family , NARA microfilm publication T626 (Washington D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 2002), roll 2638; FHL microfilm 2,342,372.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XCVB-3PP

Laurence E Lynch
Name Laurence E Lynch
Event Type Census
Event Date 1930
Event Place Rural East Side, Balboa District, Panama Canal Zone
Gender Male
Age 39
Marital Status Married
Race Negro
Race (Original) Negro
Relationship to Head of Household Head
Relationship to Head of Household (Original) Head
Birth Year (Estimated) 1891
Birthplace Barbados
Immigration Year 1908
Sheet Letter B
Sheet Number 6

Citing this Record
"United States Census, 1930," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XCVB-3PP : accessed 13 November 2017), Laurence E Lynch, Rural East Side, Balboa District, Panama Canal Zone; citing enumeration district (ED) ED 20, sheet 6B, line 80, family 46, NARA microfilm publication T626 (Washington D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 2002), roll 2638; FHL microfilm 2,342,372.

(Looks like this one lived alone)

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XCVB-N2G

Ida E Lynch
Name Ida E Lynch
Event Type Census
Event Date 1930
Event Place Silver City, Cristobal District, Panama Canal Zone
Gender Female
Age 15
Marital Status Single
Race Negro
Race (Original) Negro
Relationship to Head of Household Daughter
Relationship to Head of Household (Original) Daughter
Birth Year (Estimated) 1915
Birthplace Barbados
Immigration Year 1917
Sheet Letter B
Sheet Number 2

Household Role Sex Age Birthplace
Cyril B Lynch Head M 34 Barbados
Edith P Lynch Wife F 33 Barbados
Ida E Lynch Daughter F 15 Barbados
Edmond G Lynch Son M 11 Canal Zone
Elsinova L Lynch Daughter F 8 Canal Zone
Irena M Lynch Daughter F 7 Canal Zone
Eleise Lynch Daughter F 5 Canal Zone

Citing this Record
"United States Census, 1930," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XCVB-N2G : accessed 13 November 2017), Ida E Lynch in household of Cyril B Lynch, Silver City, Cristobal District, Panama Canal Zone; citing enumeration district (ED) ED 41, sheet 2B, line 56, family 27, NARA microfilm publication T626 (Washington D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 2002), roll 2638; FHL microfilm 2,342,372.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XCV1-7YM

George E Lynch
Name George E Lynch
Event Type Census
Event Date 1930
Event Place Gatun, Cristobal District, Panama Canal Zone
Gender Male
Age 49
Marital Status Married
Race Negro
Race (Original) Negro
Relationship to Head of Household Lodger
Relationship to Head of Household (Original) Lodger
Birth Year (Estimated) 1881
Birthplace Barbados
Immigration Year 1909
Sheet Letter B
Sheet Number 6

Iceilo Francis Head M 39 Panama
Maria G Francis Wife F 32 Panama
Ricardo Francis Son M 12 Canal Zone
Carmen Francis Daughter F 11 Canal Zone
Francisca Francis Daughter F 10 Canal Zone
Enriquez Francis Son M 9 Canal Zone
Eligio Francis Son M 5 Canal Zone
Maria Francis Daughter F 0 Canal Zone
Dudley S Woodman Lodger M 28 Barbados
Eustace Blake Lodger M 38 Jamaica
Isaac Johnson Lodger M 50 Barbados
Louis Joseph Lodger M 49 Martinique
Preston Brown Lodger M 40 Barbados
Samuel A Mcclean Lodger M 58 Barbados
Fitzgerald Hines Lodger M 34 Barbados
Daniel J Beckford Lodger M 44 Jamaica
Samuel Martin Lodger M 43 Barbados
Jose Valencia Lodger M 29 Panama
Gerald Jemmott Lodger M 45 Barbados
Joseph Bynoe Lodger M 22 Barbados
Samuel N Booth Lodger M 32 Jamaica
Miguel Ancel Lodger M 37 Colombia
Jacob N Allen Lodger M 54 Barbados
Clement Blackett Lodger M 58 Barbados
Joseph N Marvell Lodger M 39 Barbados
Albert S Griffith Lodger M 40 Barbados
Charles Sachell Lodger M 65 Jamaica
George E Lynch Lodger M 49 Barbados
Jesus Davis Lodger M 30 Panama
Albert A Scott Lodger M 35 Barbados
John H Durant Lodger M 33 Barbados
Bienvenido Camacho Lodger M 25 Costa Rica
Sarcey Scott Lodger M 34 Barbados
Nick Kasefes Lodger M 52 Greece
Tola J Antonio Lodger M 62 Italy
Romon Rodriguez Lodger M 57 Spain

Citing this Record
"United States Census, 1930," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XCV1-7YM : accessed 13 November 2017), George E Lynch in household of Iceilo Francis, Gatun, Cristobal District, Panama Canal Zone; citing enumeration district (ED) ED 36, sheet 6B, line 82, family 85, NARA microfilm publication T626 (Washington D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 2002), roll 2638; FHL microfilm 2,342,372.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XCV1-713

Joseph E Lynch
Name Joseph E Lynch
Event Type Census
Event Date 1930
Gender Male
Age 45
Marital Status Married
Race Negro
Race (Original) Negro
Relationship to Head of Household Head
Relationship to Head of Household (Original) Head
Birth Year (Estimated) 1885
Birthplace Barbados
Immigration Year 1910
Sheet Letter A
Sheet Number 7

Joseph E Lynch Head M 45 Barbados
Agnes L Lynch Wife F 35 Barbados
Joseph Lynch Son M 21 Barbados
Earther S Lynch Daughter F 19 Barbados

Citing this Record
"United States Census, 1930," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XCV1-713 : accessed 13 November 2017), Joseph E Lynch, Gatun, Cristobal District, Panama Canal Zone; citing enumeration district (ED) ED 36, sheet 7A, line 45, family 95, NARA microfilm publication T626 (Washington D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 2002), roll 2638; FHL microfilm 2,342,372.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XCV1-49L

Millicent E Lynch
Name Millicent E Lynch
Event Type Census
Event Date 1930
Gender Female
Age 37
Marital Status Single
Race Negro
Race (Original) Negro
Relationship to Head of Household Sister-in-law
Relationship to Head of Household (Original) Sister-in-law
Birth Year (Estimated) 1893
Birthplace Barbados
Immigration Year 1921
Sheet Letter A
Sheet Number 9

Christopher M Whitaker Head M 41 Barbados
Leonara W Whitaker Wife F 42 Barbados
Eulalee I Whitaker Daughter F 5 Canal Zone
Millicent E Lynch Sister-in-law F 37 Barbados

Citing this Record
"United States Census, 1930," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XCV1-49L : accessed 13 November 2017), Millicent E Lynch in household of Christopher M Whitaker, Gatun, Cristobal District, Panama Canal Zone; citing enumeration district (ED) ED 36, sheet 9A, line 23, family 127, NARA microfilm publication T626 (Washington D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 2002), roll 2638; FHL microfilm 2,342,372.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SP8B-385

Ida E Lynch
United States Census, 1920
Name Ida E Lynch
Event Type Census
Event Date 1920
Event Place Cristobal, Civilians In Canal Zone, Panama Canal Zone
Gender Female
Age 4
Marital Status Single
Race Black
Race (Original) Black
Relationship to Head of Household Daughter
Relationship to Head of Household (Original) Daughter
Birth Year (Estimated) 1916
Birthplace Barbados
Sheet Letter B
Sheet Number 20

Cyril Lynch Head M 31 Barbados
Edith Lynch Wife F 30 Barbados
Ida E Lynch Daughter F 4 Barbados
Edmund G Lynch Son M 0 Cristobal Panama

Citing this Record
"United States Census, 1920," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SP8B-385 : accessed 13 November 2017), Ida E Lynch in household of Cyril Lynch, Cristobal, Civilians In Canal Zone, Panama Canal Zone; citing ED 6, sheet 20B, line , family , NARA microfilm publication T625 (Washington D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 1992), roll 2042; FHL microfilm 1,822,042.
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby TriniJan » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:52 am

Jblyn51, that is interesting that your great-grandfather's nickname was Briggs. My great-great-grandmother was Dorothy Briggs and it's her son Harold who went to Panama to work. In fact the Briggs and Lynch families were close. My great-grandmother went to trinidad to stay at her uncle's. She was very close to her cousin Dolly Briggs.

I did find burial records for my great-great-grandmother . under St Michael parish records. Maybe it is something you can try
TriniJan

Postby TriniJan » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:57 am

Bimjim, George would have been born after 1896 as grama was the eldest and that was her birth year.
TriniJan

Postby bimjim » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:37 pm

Then we have a miss this time... all of my Georges were born, baptised, christened or died before 1896.

Sorry.
bimjim
Site Admin

Return to Surnames L