David ARIEL

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

David ARIEL

Postby Harrysmum » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:26 am

David ARIEL died in Barbados in 1838 of yellow fever. I have the obit from the Gentleman's Magazine. He was originally from Bristol England. The Ariel family traded in wines, cloth, sugar, etc. I am trying to find where he might be buried.........and the possiblilty of any family he left. I'd like to find anything about his time there. As he was only 20 years old, I doubt there was any family but you never know. Thank you.
Harrysmum

Re: David ARIEL

Postby bimjim » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:12 pm

I think your name is of a Jewish family in Barbados - no longer there, so far as i know. In 50 years living (and visiting after I left) I never heard the surname, anyway.

Searching Google for burial records there was no such surname in the very large general (Christian) cemetery (Westbury), nor in any others that had been recorded so far.

But there is restoration work being done on the Jewish Synagogue in Bridgetown and the graves being cleaned up - here is one of the web pages describing that task. I get the impression you can leave messages there, or you could search the Net and try to contact the person in charge of renovating the premises, Mr. Paul Altman, and ask if that name has been found anywhere.
http://cemeteryparks.wordpress.com/cate ... -cemetery/

I have copy of the book "Jewish Monumental Inscriptions in Barbados", by Shilstone, and there is no reference to the surname Ariel in any of the Indexes. The body of the book refers to the tombstones directly and is in English, Spanish, Portugese and Hebrew, and is therefore un-indexable, bit runs about 170 pages and would quite a labour on my part to read and search for you. Maybe you can find it at your largest regional library, or ask then about the Inter-Library Loan (ILL) facility and they may be able to borrow it from another library for you.

HTH

Jim Lynch
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby Harrysmum » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:13 pm

Thank you for that. David was born in Bristol England 1818, son of Myles Ariel. They were Baptists rather than Jewish, although I know the name "Ariel" should have been originally Jewish.

I was wondering if there is an index of deaths or burials in Barbados at all.
Harrysmum

Postby bimjim » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:23 pm

Sorry i could not help more. If you want the services of a researcher I can recommend someone who is both reliable and reasonable.
bimjim
Site Admin

Return to Surnames A