Azore

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

Azore

Postby Caractacus » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:13 pm

Hi.

Looking for information on Edward Azore, or any information on this rare and unusual name.
Edward was a black man born in 1881 in the British West Indies (Island unknown) and worked as a greaser on board ships - the only known ships are the Danube and S.S Sixaola.

Sometime before 1921 he moved to Britain and married my great grandmother in that year, fathering my Grandfather's half brother - Roy Azore. During this time he worked in music halls as a performer. Later he returned to the Caribbean and was serving on board the Sixaola when it was torpedoed in 1940 in WW2. He was killed in the blast. He is known to have visited Colombia and the Sixaola was en route to New Orleans when it was destroyed.

As far as I can ascertain, there are very few people named Azore. However, we have ascertained that there were several slaves sold in Louisiana named Azore (or perhaps one or two slaves sold several times, so there may be a connection here.

Unfortunately we cannot ascertain Edward's place of birth which could be any one of about 15 countries in the Caribbean and the sources have run dry. Short of turning over the record offices of all 15 countries, the only lead left is the name Azore. So if you have any information on this unique name, I would be immensely greatful
Caractacus

Return to Surnames A