how to post

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

how to post

Postby anita » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:49 pm

How do I post to website?
anita

Re: how to post

Postby bimjim » Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:40 pm

1. You must be logged in to Post... unfortunately, this is something some people do not understand, so - also unfortunately - it is something that must be said. And in order to be logged in, you need to first register.

2. Under "Surname Index - Alphabetical", find the first character of the surname you want to Post - my surname of interest is Lynch, so I would be looking for "Surnames L". Click on that link.

3. In that new page, under "Surnames L" click on the link with red characters "NEWTOPIC".

4. The next page that comes up is the form used to Post your research.

5. In the Subject Line, start with the surname or surnames, IN CAPITALS, followed by a dash, followed by the Country, and if necessary follwed by a comma and the local area. Multiple surnames are quite acceptable.

Such as "LYNCH - Barbados, St. Michael".

In genealogy we like to CAPITALISE SURNAMES so that they stand out from the first names, because sometimes surnames are like first names (Is the surname of a record with "Michael, Anthony" really Anthony, or Michael? But "MICHAEL, Anthony" tells us right away what we are looking at.

6. When you have put in the Subject line, in the larger text box now add as many names, places and dates as you can about that individual in the Subject line, so that someone looking for you will find the info and be able to detarmine right away if they are related. Vague and meaningless information does not protect you, it just wastes other peoples time and promotes frustration.

7. Do NOT NOT NOT add any email address/es in this Public Post. This resource protects you and your privacy, and bad things happen when you make your email address available to anyone who comes along. Quite apart from that, email addresses in public promote the use of SPAM, and I can assure you it is not amusing to receive 6,000+ SPAM - a day - and have to lose two or three hours - every day - sorting through all of that for your own one or two messages.

8. When you are done, click on the "Submit" button.

NOTE: As long as you are logged in, you will be able to Edit your Post yourself. If you do not see the "Edit" button at the top right of YOUR Post, let me know the URL and what you want it changed to, and I would be happy to change it for you.

NOTE: I check the Index every day, usually several times, so even if you make just one Post I will distribute it myself by Copying to other Boards for maximum coverage.

I hope that helps...

Jim Lynch
bimjim
Site Admin

Return to Message from the Administrator