COLON Y VELEZ - Puerto Rico, Santana, Arecibo

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

COLON Y VELEZ - Puerto Rico, Santana, Arecibo

Postby Bonnie » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:02 am

Hello Everyone,

I've been working on my family tree for some time now and been able to get pretty far with my father side of the family, but when it comes to my mother side, that's a different story. I'm looking for any information on my grandmother's mother, my great grandmother's name was Cruz Colon y Velez de Legarreta. I found her on the 1910 U.S. Census which indicates she was 13 years old at the time. Then on the Puerto Rico civil registration 1885-2001 I found her marriage certificate which dates 1913, making her 15 years old but her certificates says she is 18 years old. Well, that's not too important at the moment. On the certificate, her father is listed as Martin Colon De Jesus and list a neighbor Joaquina Velez de Colon as witness. My living aunt meet her during her younger years and confirms she, Joaquina, was not their mother.

My great grandmother had two sisters and according to my aunt and my mom they were orphans. Last known residence, again according to my aunt they lived in a wooden shack with a tin roof, before she was married was Santana, Arecibo Puerto Rico.

I read some where that prior to the 1910 U.S. census Spain kept records but I can't seem to find anything. I would appreciated if anyone could point me on the right directions as I am at a lost.

Thank you
Bonnie
Bonnie

Return to Puerto Rico