DELAUSSAC - St Kitts and Westminster London UK

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

DELAUSSAC - St Kitts and Westminster London UK

Postby jasturges » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:10 pm

Jenny Sturges seeking any information about the Delaussac family of St Kitts between 1725 - 1835.
Also known as Laussac and Losack - for information please see entry under Losack
jasturges
jasturges

Re: DELAUSSAC - St Kitts and Westminster London UK

Postby Whaleman » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:46 am

Take a look at the website listed below:

http://www.historicbasseterre.com/hsite2.asp?HSID=16

It states:

"Warner Park is bordered by Losack Road on its south side, Victoria Road in the west, the Basseterre High School on the northern side and Park Range to the east. Originally it was part of an estate owned by the Losack family, a French family that continued to live in St. Kitts after the British gained control of the whole island. In 1817, the Original List of Slaves records a return of seventy-one slaves made by John Malzac on behalf of Admiral George Losack then owner of the Lozack plantations on the island. Eleven of them were born in Africa. Thirteen were too young to work and two were infirm. Among the remainder there were an overseer, a driver, two boilers, a cooper, a distillers and a carpenter. Except for a few house servants the rest worked in the field.”

Please PM if you get any more information as I'm interested in the Malzac's of this era.
Whaleman

Re: DELAUSSAC - St Kitts and Westminster London UK

Postby jasturges » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:03 pm

Thank you for this link. I also had a look at the St Kitts National Archives. Many years ago a cousin managed to get a researcher to extract details from the will of James Losack. Efforts to get a copy of the will by writing to St Kitts Archives from the UK have failed, although I live in hope!!

The article on Warner Park mentions the family being French which fits in with me believing that James was the son of a French Huguenot Antoine Dastor de Laussac and his wife Jane de Bricheau who married in London in February 1697/98. Antoine, formerly a prior and an archdeacon of the Church of Rome had become a protestant minister first in London’s Huguenot churches and then as an Army Chaplin in Portugal during the Queen Anne’s War. There was a James Guy de Laussac serving as an Ensign in Portugal at this time who was probably James Losack who appears in St Kitts as a Deputy Secretary 1728, Speaker 1744 and Judge of the Vice Admiralty Court 1754.

If anyone is able to do some ‘unpaid’ research (I’m a pensioner!) in the St Kitts National Archives I would be eternally grateful to them.

Sorry but I've not come across the name you are researching
Thank you again for getting in touch with me.
jasturges
jasturges

Return to Surnames D