MATTHEW - St. Kitts

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

MATTHEW - St. Kitts

Postby CloeyGF » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:43 am

I am searching for any relatives of Theodorsha, Henry, Austin and Zephania Matthew of St. Kitts.
CloeyGF

Re: MATTHEW - St. Kitts

Postby dee matthew » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:59 pm

Try generations.kn and ancestry.com for info and use both versions of the name, then try to locate people in the family who are familiar to you and tie them in with the names that you find to create timelines and lineage.
dee matthew

Postby dee matthew » Sat May 23, 2015 1:51 am

It's been a while, but I haven't given up ---- just busy starting and growing other family trees for each of my parents and my husband's parents. So far, we're progressing. Found a lot of stuff on ancestry.com and even more on generations.kn (which is now defunct), so I switched to http://www.myheritage.com and http://www.familysearch.org, and they're both working quite well for me; it's just a matter of tying the names into each other. I'm sure you'll find them both helpful. Best to you.
dee matthew

Postby glyphics » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:00 pm

I am still working on my family tree in ancestry.com. My grandfather, Frederick George Matthew, married into a large Thompson family in St Kitts and migrated to the U.S. (New York City) around 1903. My grandfather had a brother, Henry, who also migrated to New York. I get a little discouraged because the name Matthew (without the "s") is fairly common in St. Kitts but I'm still searching for connections. I have found a few Thompson relatives in the U.S. but no Matthew or Thompson relatives in St. Kitts.

Family legend has it that my maternal great great grandfather was a cooper from Glasgow, Scotland named John Thompson (Possibly John Henry Thompson) but my family appears and identifies as African diaspora.
glyphics

Postby bimjim » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:35 pm

On the matter of names, always remember that most people back then could not read or write - both whites and blacks. Names and events were recorded by scribes whjo could tread and write such as priests and government officials, and what they wrote down stuck - because usually nobody else could or would correct what they wrote.

Which is why the IGI - the database at familysearch.org - uses "fuzzy" software to return names to a search which sounds like or has a root in what you are looking for. The LDS developed "Soundex" a long time ago, and it is quite good at approximating what names you are searching for, but obviously are no substitute for the variations you have in your own documentation / family tree.

As an example, my surname LYNCH is translated by the Soundex into L520, and that is what is used to perform the search - all the names in the database have been similarly converted, and they are returned to you in their orighinal format. SO I would get back LYNCH, LINCH, LYNCHE, and so on, but the database would not know that the origin of some of the names is O'Loinsang as well as other Irish and French (Norman invasion) sources.

This is not an exact science. If you want to make real progress you have to look at a name and figure out if it could possibly have been twisted into or from what is is known as now.

It's worse in the US... as immigrants arrived, the English-speaking Officers would give them new surnames as whatever they felt like assigning, due to the multiple language barriers and lack of translators.
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby glyphics » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:58 pm

Thanks. My grandparents could read and write.

I do understand the subtleties. One of my uncles decided he wanted to be a Matthews, with the "s." Go figure. Also, most of us rely on oral histories and that's where the connections are made. I assume that connections are the purpose of the forum. Some connections will be dead ends. No problem. Connect first, document later.
glyphics

Postby bimjim » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:54 pm

The lack of reading and writing was common as late as the 1800s - long before your grandparents.

And I had a Honychurch who became a Church, for whatever reason. Of course later generations almost lost track of him!!
bimjim
Site Admin

Return to Surnames M