CARRINGTON - Barbados to Trinidad and Tobago

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

CARRINGTON - Barbados to Trinidad and Tobago

Postby Candice Francois » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:09 pm

I am looking for information about Carrington brothers who left Barbados in the late 1800s/early 1900s and migrated to Trinidad and Tobago. Somehow all Carringtons in Trinidad and Tobago are supposedly descendants of these siblings. I have not been able to pinpoint the exact story and was wondering if anyone could help. I have heard the following variations of the story from different members of my family:

Version 1:
3 Carrington brothers came from Barbados to Trinidad and Tobago: James, Wesley and Gustavus. They settled in Tobago and had several children. Their father's name was Seddra Carrington.

Version 2:
6 Carrington brothers and 1 sister came from Barbados to Trinidad and Tobago. The sister's name was Bebe Carrington. The brothers' names were:
- Wesley Carrington a.k.a. James Wesley Carrington
- Shadrach Carrington
- William Carrington
- Prophet Carrington
- No one knows the other 2 boys' names for sure, but one may be called Henry Carrington. (Someone from Princes Town, Trinidad is looking for information about a Carrington relative that came from Barbados and mentioned Henry Carrington's name).

Version 3:
3 brothers came from Barbados: Shedrach Carrington, William Carrington and another who no one knows his name.
- Shedrach was James Wesley Carrington's father.
- Gustavus Carrington was the other Carrington brother's son (the one who no ones his name) .

I am not sure if there are records in Barbados about any of these people. I would like to know what the real story is so that I can update my tree.

Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide.
Candice Francois

Re: CARRINGTON - Barbados to Trinidad and Tobago

Postby GTCarri » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:33 pm

Do you know if any of the brother's ever went to Guyana? I have been told that my grandfather Cecil Percival Carrington who was born in Barbados about 1894 had brothers and sisters that came to Guyana in late 1890's and 1900's. His brothers were in the sugar industry I was told that one left for Trinidad and never returned to Guyana. I only knew of one of his sister's Miriam Carrington. I have found a Miriam Gertrude Carrington born to John Davis Carrington and Sarah Dorothy Peterkins on 3/3/1888 in the Barbados Births/Baptisms Records.....I have not found anything on my grandfather. Just thought I would share my info.
GTCarri

Postby Sedublin » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:08 pm

Hi! This feels strange and cool to read.

I am in the Carrington family from Trinidad. You'll have to excuse me because I personally only know the names of my family in the US.

None of my family has mentioned the Carringtons coming from Barbados, though. My great grandfather and his wife, along with their 11 children moved to the US maybe around 1930. The 11, with their children and grandchildren, are now in several US states, but mainly in Maryland, Alabama, Florida, and maybe still New York.

I will get names from my family if this post is responded to.
Sedublin

Postby Candice Francois » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:30 pm

I'm a descendant of the Carrington family. I was born in and grew up in Trinidad, and but my grandmother's family was from Tobago. I live in Maryland USA now. We are likely related - my grandmother told me that all of the Carringtons from Trinidad/Tobago are from the same family.
Candice Francois

Postby Sedublin » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:01 pm

Candice Francois wrote:I'm a descendant of the Carrington family. I was born in and grew up in Trinidad, and but my grandmother's family was from Tobago. I live in Maryland USA now. We are likely related - my grandmother told me that all of the Carringtons from Trinidad/Tobago are from the same family.

Oh wow! I live in DC.
Yes, I've been told they're all one family. I think I've heard of one relative that lived or lives in Tobago, otherwise everyone else I know is from Trinidad. Have you heard of a Pearl Alice Carrington?
Sedublin

Postby Candice Francois » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:51 pm

Sorry - no. I don't know Pearl Alice Carrington. Can you provide more names? I can search my family tree and see what I can find. It is by no means comprehensive, but maybe somewhere along the line we can find a match. I found a distant cousin while doing some research and was able to tap into his tree as well.

You said you're in DC? Any relation to Dr. Carrington who taught History at Howard University? I never met him but my cousin mentioned that he was likely a relative...
Candice Francois

Postby bimjim » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:50 am

As Admin, reading all of the Posts on the Index day after day, I must say that I see far too often a phrase suggesting that all of one name in any one country or that someone of the same name nearby must be a relative, that need not be the case. It is my practice to add anyone I find who MIGHT BE a relative into my database with such a note for future reference, but then to make every effort to make a viable connection or to leave a question mark against their name.

May I suggest you use familysearch.org to search for connections. A good start is to go to the search page, insert just the first and last name you are looking for, then click on the Search button. When the results roll in, scroll down the left side and start selecting filters - some have subsequent layers, such as Birth Place > Caribbean & South America > Country, and the same goes for other parameters, including dates.

And if you enter just the surname and then select and add in the parents, you may find a number of children that do not show up using just the parents names. Try using both surnames (mother and father) in case some were born out of wedlock.

Then come back to Facebook and find the Facebook genealogy Groups for your home location, join if necessary, and ask any questions remaining. I have found all of them to be useful, helpful and kind (Jamaica has at least one Group per Parish). There may even be some there on location who will check local records or churches for you, maybe even find the "relative" in question so you can establish contact and ask questions directly.

Best wishes on your search. I just think adding the wrong people to your tree is as bad as leaving the right people out.
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby GTCarri » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:40 pm

My name is Ivor Carrington I live in Prince George County Maryland my grandfather's family are from Barbados with ties to Guyana and Trinidad I was born in Guyana. Candace was any of your family in MD a Pastor or a Bishop in a Church ???? I have been researching the Carrington's for the past 5 years .....could we link up to explore the possibilities. ....
GTCarri

Postby Candice Francois » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:06 pm

GTCarri, I actually don't know any of the Carringtons that are in MD. My great grandmother was a Carrington from Tobago, and I have spent some time researching her side of the family. I heard of a Dr. Carrington who worked at Howard County, and that's the only connection to the Maryland area that I know of. He was from Tobago as well. Carrington seems to be a fairly popular name in Barbados, and all I know is that some of our ancestors used to live there.
Candice Francois

Postby PreciousTrini » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:48 am

I believe that Prophet was actually a nickname.
PreciousTrini

Postby PreciousTrini » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:40 am

Candice, did you ever figure out how you may be related to Dr. Carrington?
PreciousTrini

Postby Buxton » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:56 pm

Hi - my family is from Guyana. I am trying to find out more about the Carrington family. My great grand father was James W Carrington. I understand that he met my great grand mother in Trinidad. Her name was Sophia Rodney and I believe she was originally from Grenada. At least one of their 9/10 children was born in Trindad - Evelyn 1909.
Buxton

Postby jambo » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:46 pm

Hi

I have a Thomas Carrington 1749-1798 Barnados whose parents were William Carrington and Elizabeth Williams. Thomas Carrington married my ancestor, Sarah Smith Benjamin in 1780, St James Parish (born 1754 in Barbados, daughter of William Benjamin and Ann/Hannah).

They had at least 4 children:
Sarah Ann Carrington born ~1780 - married Thomas Alder in 1798 (possible)
Elizabeth Carrington born ~1780
John Carrington born 1790
Thomas Treasure Carrington born 1793 and died 1845 - married Mary Ann Roberts born 1789-~1845

Thomas and Mary married in St Michael Parish in 1817
Children:
Thomas Henry Royal Carrington1818
Mary Elizabeth Carrington 1821 m William Lord Turney in 1844
Charles William Carrington 1823
Sarah Frances Carrington 1826 m William Henry Thorpe in 1843
Children: Edwin Smith Thorpe 1846 m Mary Paul 1876 in New Jersey

George James Carrington1829
Catherine Ann Davis Carrington1830 - m James Abraham Reed in 1849
Children: James Elliot Reed
Margaret Augusta Reed 1856 m John Nathaniel Allamby in 1877
Children: Lillian Allamby
Edith Rosemond Allamby 1881-1933 m William Arthur Seale 1877-1946

Eleanor Frances Carrington1834 m George Thomas Hinkson in 1860
Children: William Thomas Grannum Hinkson 1861-1917 m Malvina Evelina Stephen Emtage 1864-1896 in 1883
Rachael Stephenson Hinkson 1863
George Hinkson

Samuel James Carrington 1837

Any information would be very gratefully accepted.

Thanks
jambo

Postby PreciousTrini » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:03 am

Sedublin wrote:
Candice Francois wrote:I'm a descendant of the Carrington family. I was born in and grew up in Trinidad, and but my grandmother's family was from Tobago. I live in Maryland USA now. We are likely related - my grandmother told me that all of the Carringtons from Trinidad/Tobago are from the same family.

Oh wow! I live in DC.
Yes, I've been told they're all one family. I think I've heard of one relative that lived or lives in Tobago, otherwise everyone else I know is from Trinidad. Have you heard of a Pearl Alice Carrington?

I am related to Pearl Alice Carrington. Have you found more information for you tree?
PreciousTrini

Postby PreciousTrini » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:04 am

Candice Francois wrote:GTCarri, I actually don't know any of the Carringtons that are in MD. My great grandmother was a Carrington from Tobago, and I have spent some time researching her side of the family. I heard of a Dr. Carrington who worked at Howard County, and that's the only connection to the Maryland area that I know of. He was from Tobago as well. Carrington seems to be a fairly popular name in Barbados, and all I know is that some of our ancestors used to live there.

Dr. Carrington is my Uncle.
PreciousTrini

Next

Return to Barbados