LYNCH - Barbados, St. Michael

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

LYNCH - Barbados, St. Michael

Postby TriniJan » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:07 pm

Hi,

I'm a Lynch descendant living in Trinidad. My great-grandmother came to Trinidad in the 1920's, and was from a clan of Lynch's from St. Michael's Barbados. They were also related to the BRIGGS and BABBS clan from the same area. I don't know if there are any family members left, as they seemed to die pretty much childless, but worth a shot. lol

I would be interested in any information about my great-great-grandfather and beyond, so here goes:

William Lynch (mulatto Irish, merchant) married Dorothy Briggs Lynch (free black)
children:
Maude Leonie Lynch (b. 1896, d. 1997)
George Lynch
Harold Lynch
Aubryn Lynch

relatives:
John Lynch (brother to William)
Dolly Briggs (daughter of Dorothy Lynch's brother, migrated to Trinidad)
George Babbs

So if you have come across these names or think they may be a realtion, give me a holla.

Thanks,

Jan
TriniJan

Re: LYNCH - Barbados, St. Michael

Postby bimjim » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:36 pm

I never found a relationship link between my line and theirs, but there is another Lynch family line in Barbados who produced Louis Lynch - and he created a Secondary School in Barbados which still exists (I believe). There are still many Lynch's in Barbados.

My earliest known ancestor was a "free mulatto" Hamlet Mayers Lynch, whose father I believe to have been Hazel (or Hasel or Hassel or Hassell) Lynch of the white Irish Lynch merchant family in Bridgetown between 1715 and 1800. Hamlet's partner (I have never found a marriage record) was a "free negro woman" Minifred (also recorded as Menifred) Lynch.

From later family records I am led to believe that Hamlet was moderately wealthy... he had slaves and bought several who had the same names as his own family - we can only assume he was taking them out of slavery with another owner and providing them with a kind of freedom. There is a vague record of his buying one of these similarly-named slaves from a Barbadian owner Conrade Adams in military service and stationed in Guadeloupe.

Hamlet and his son, John Richard Lynch, are noted for signed petitions and being part of the political opposition in Barbados in favour of emancipation for the poor and the blacks in a day when a person had to own property - and be white - just to vote and/or to occupy any elected position.

A descendant of Hamlet Lynch and John Richard Lynch is James Alsop Lynch, another outstanding Barbadian who is listed somewhere as a cooper (barrel-maker), and started James A. Lynch and Company, which appears to have made him very wealthy. His son, James Challenor Lynch, was one of the founders of the Barbados Museum.

Apparently all of the white Irish Lynch families in the Caribbean - Jamaica, Barbados, Antigua, Montserrat, Nevis, St. Kitts (that I know of, possibly Grenada and Trinidad as well) - are all of the same family which originated in Galway, Ireland.
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby TriniJan » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:00 am

Let me see what else I can remember. Grama often talked about her father's estate and life on the estate. Not sure whether it was some kind farm or plantation. I wonder if land records can shed any light?

I remember her nephew was a prominent banker, Leary Lynch, who was murdered by his wife in Jamaica. This is an article on the case:

http://m.jamaicaobserver.com/mobile/new ... n_11225431

Only one of her brothers had children and with the death of Leary thus ended the rest of this Lynch branch. So the only descendants of this family now are her descendants here in Trinidad lol.
TriniJan

Postby bimjim » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:13 am

Sorry, no Leary in my family "hedge", either. But, apart from my direct line and many of the early ancestors, most of the names in the other branches of my family seem to have disappeared.

I have also been trying to contact the son of Louis Lynch, a prominent Barbadian after whom a Secondary school is named, but he does not return my emails (they don't bounce, either).

Please advise if you find anything else out... thanks much in advance.

Jim Lynch
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby Maxwell » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:19 am

I'm looking for any information about Angelina Lynch (born around 1859), who married a William Blackman in St Michael/Barbados in 1882, and her children.I'm also looking for info about William Blackman's parents and his siblings.
Maxwell

Postby TriniJan » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:09 pm

Hi Jim,

Just found out some info on my Lynch line. I always knew one of my great-grandmother's brothers went to work on building the Panama Canal (Harold I believe). But now I'm told the eldest brother (George) went to Cuba and the family never heard from him again. He went just before the revolution and it is believed he could not get out. No idea what happened to him.

So there may be a Lynch link in Cuba... amazing.
TriniJan

Return to Surnames L