COAKLAY - Jost Van Dyke, Tortola

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

COAKLAY - Jost Van Dyke, Tortola

Postby Phantom06 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:24 pm

I've accounted for all my ancestors back to ~1730 with the exception of three.

My 3x great grandfather was Henry Coaklay (the family name is Coakley from 1717 until present but apparently Henry wanted to be distinguishable from other, related Henry Coakley's and opted for the "ay" ending). He had 5 children with his first wife, Eliza Woods. All are accounted for in the US except for daughter, Henrianna (b: 1814 St Barts). She remained on St John with her father while her siblings moved to the US in 1837.

With his third wife, Catherine (b: ~1806 Jost Van Dyke), Henry had a daughter -- Amanda Malvina Coaklay (b: 1836 St John)

Henry Coaklay died unexpectedly in 1840 at his estate -- Brown Bay on St John. His widow and daughters appear on the 1841 St John census residing at Mt Pleasant -- the Richardson's estate on St John. The Richardson's are Coaklay/Coakley relatives -- Mrs Richardson is the daughter of Henry's cousin.

In October 1841, harbormaster Thomas Davis writes a letter informing that Catherine Coaklay and Henrianna Coaklay (5 year old Amanda is presumed with them) had left the island without permission -- reportedly heading for Great Thatch Island.

There is no further record of of them on St John.

My suspicion is that they ultimately went to Anguilla.

I've not been able to find anything on any of them after 1841. I'm hoping someone might have seen reference to them in the BVI records.
Phantom06

Return to Jost van Dyke