GENTLES - Jamaica, All Caribbean

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

GENTLES - Jamaica, All Caribbean

Postby GentlesBonetree » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:40 pm

I have just joined and hopefully will find out more about a couple of my wife's relatives that emigrated from Falkirk, Scotland to Jamaica around the late 1820's to early 1830's in particular the area around Trelawny. Their names were John GENTLES (1788-1851) and his brother William (1795-1851). I have just traced one living relative who now lives in the UK. This has sparked the interest in the GENTLES family history back into flames and I want to find out more.

I am particularly interested in any information relating to Robert A. GENTLES (b May 1848) but also in some of the other names that are cropping up with connections. The surnames are BROMFIELD, CANHAM, COX, EVANS, JOHNSON, RUSSELL, SIMPSON, WAITE, WEBB AND WILLIAMS.

thanks
GentlesBonetree

Re: GENTLES - Jamaica, All Caribbean

Postby JulesMill » Tue May 19, 2015 12:37 pm

Hello,

My maiden name was Waite, and my father was born on Colyville, Jamaica. I do have Gentles in my family tree and think they are the same ones. If you want I can send you some information as to where they sit in my tree,

Kind regards Julia Miller :lol:
JulesMill

Postby GentlesBonetree » Mon May 25, 2015 6:05 pm

Hello Julia,

I would like to find out more information about the Waites and the connection with the Gentles Family. The Waites I have are shown as born in Manchester, Middlesex, Jamaica rather than Colyville, hopefully you can fill out more of the details for me.

The earliest Waite to join my family tree was Robert James Waite (b abt 1875) who married Eva Rebertha Gentles (b abt 1877) on 3rd Feb 1897. I have a number of children listed but have some gaps. I have a girl born 7th Jun 1901 and a boy born 11th Dec 1914, but don't know their names. The details of the other children and subsequent spouses (if any) and their children are very patchy.

Any help you can give, would be appreciated. If there is anything I can help you with, please ask.
Thanks
Brian Bone
GentlesBonetree

Postby JulesMill » Tue May 26, 2015 12:45 pm

Hello Brian,

Robert James Waite was my Great Grandfather. Please see below section copied from my family tree. Hope this is of some help.
Robert James Waite
Birth: 1873
?, Manchester, Jamaica
Death: December 14, 1925 (52)
Jamaica
Immediate Family:
Son of Frederick Waite; Fredric Waite; Georgiana Waite and Georgieana Waite (Evans)
Husband of Eva Rebertha Waite
Father of Mabel Rebertha Waite daughter,Ina Williams daughter,Minna Sarah Rhino,daughter and my Grandmother, Myrtle Waite daughter,Gerald Waite son,George Waite son, Ivy Hudson daughter, Nora Waite daughter, William Waite son.
Georgieana Waite (Evans)mother, Fredric Waite father.

Kind regards
Julia
JulesMill

Postby GentlesBonetree » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:18 pm

Thanks for that Jules.

I have most of those. RE; Ivy Waite (1899-1980). You have her married name as Hudson. Can you tell me more about the husband? First name, DoB. DoD, when they married, did they have children, etc.?

I have Minna's middle name as Stella. Could this be right or was it Sarah? Do you have any more information? I have that she married twice. Do you know Daniel's DoD and when she married Gerald. Also, if one of these is your Grandfather, can you let me know details of Minna's children and their decendants, including yourself?

In addition to the children you mentioned, I have a girl (no name) born 7th Jun 1901. Do you know her Name and any other details, Dod, marriage, children etc.

I also have a boy (no name) born 11th Dec 1914. You have mentioned William, is this him? Again any more details would be very much appreciated.

Sorry for not replying sooner. Brian
GentlesBonetree

Return to Surnames W