SENIOR (Richard) - West Indies

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

Re: SENIOR (Richard) - West Indies

Postby Pauline » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:09 am

Sivam....do you have the census records for William and Alice Harwood.....In 1851 census he was a Whitehall Pensioner aged 66, Alice his wife is aged 61, Julia 24, James aged 21 unemployed bricklayer, and 3 grandchildren, Julia 11mt, Richard 11 and William 9.
In the marriage of James Harwood and Eliza Maria Friar in 1851William Harwood was listed as Shoemaker, her father Robert Friar was an Engineer.
Looks like the witness William Harwood could have been his father, as the signature on William's marriage and the witness one are very similar, especially the Harwood surname, as in his own marriage he signed it Wm Harwood, but the Harwood is the same as he had a funny way of doing his 'H'
It is really good when you have the actual parish marrriage entries. In the marriage of Catherine there is a witness William Henry Harwood, but the registrar wrote this entry.
Have you followed the Harwoods through the census in Kent, in 1871 William H Harwood is a Navy Pensioner
On his death 17 June 1872 St Nichlas Co Kent
141 William Henry Harwood, Male 83 years. Superannuated Warden from H M Dockyard Sheerness of Senile decay.....Julia present at death made her mark.
On the death of Alice 17 March 1881 aged 91 named as Widow of William Harwood a Prison Warder, also of senile decay, again the mark of Julia Harwood daughter present at death, 10 Greenfield St Deptford.

Do you have this info?? Let me know what you need.

Do you think that Edward was influenced by his sister Catherine to upgrade their father!!
Pauline
Pauline

Postby Pauline » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:56 am

Looking through my records I have an entry that states that Richard Senior was married to a Judah not a Julia........this is what I have. Alice Harwood nee Senior died aged 91 buried in Brockley SE London. Mother Judah could be buried in Jewish grounds in Sheppey but no records remain. Alice's father Richard late Army/Chelsea hospital and watchman in Sheerness Naval Dockyard buried in Sheppey.
Anyone else know of any information relating to this please.
thanks Pauline
Pauline

Postby Sivam » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:45 am

Thank you Pauline, I will be printing off all the information you have given. I did have some census records but hadn't followed Edward's siblings and that is interesting. Hopefully someone has information regarding jewish burials. :D
Sivam

Postby Sivam » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:43 am

Pauline, a Julia Senior died in minster in sheppy, kent on 22 March 1837, is that the Julia (judah) do you think. Sivam :o
Sivam

Postby Pauline » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:31 am

Sounds possible, its just pre civil registration so hopefully a parish register entry.....have you seen it at all?
Pauline
Pauline

Postby Sivam » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:21 pm

Pauline, I haven't seen the original just a printed version, not sure how we could view the original entry. :roll:
Sivam

Postby Pauline » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:10 am

Sivam, there are no transcriptions on Find my past only a written one from the register, wonder if anyone has viewed the original.
Richard Senior aged 71 birth 1764 death 1835 18th January Sheerness Minster in Sheppey Kent
East Kent burial index

Julia Senior aged 71, birth 1766 death 1837 22nd March, Sheerness Minster in Sheppey Kent
East Kent burial index.

Nothing else but looks like the 2 we are looking for
Pauline
Pauline

Postby bimjim » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:07 pm

Have you tried FreeBMD for the UK? They usually have images attached. They are transcriptions by volunteers, so not everything is there, but worth a look.
http://www.freebmd.org.uk/
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby Pauline » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:40 pm

Thanks for the input, but think they are after Civil Registration of June/July 1837 images, we really need the parish registers, but saying that they will not give any extra information only where they lived I think.....
Thanks again Pauline
Pauline

Postby EricD » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:49 pm

I have just come across this thread. Alice Senior, born around 1790 is my 4xgreat-grandmother. Findmypast has the record of a Private Richard Senior being discharged from the British Army (Captain Archibald’s Company of the 9th Regiment of Foot) on 17 January 1794. He is aged 29, has served 11 years, was born in Dewsbury, Yorkshire and was a weaver by trade. Reason for discharge “having two contracted fingers which renders him unfit for further service”. He is recommended for a Chelsea pension. The place of discharge was “B. Hill, St Christopher”. The 9th Regiment of Foot were posted to Brimstone Hill, St Kitts in 1786 and were still there in 1793. It seems highly likely this Richard Senior is Alice’s father.
Eric
EricD

Postby Sivam » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:09 am

EricD this reply to your post from April albiet a little late! Really appreciate this information, I was just checking posts to see if there were any new ones, somehow I'd missed yours sorry. Alice Senior was also my 4xgrandmother, still can't find the surname (unmarried) of her mother though.
Sivam

Postby Jennie » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:10 am

My great great grandmother was Julia Senior born in Sheerness, Kent 8/1/1805 and died in Geelong, Victoria, Australia in 1873. Her father was Richard Senior, a British officer and her mother Julia? She was married at Christ Church Blackfriars Road London on 25/3/1824 to Edward Sayers (Mariner) born 1796 in England. Edward Sayers was a master mariner and made regular voyages between England and St Vincent.
Jennie

Postby Sivam » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:24 am

Interesting to read your post Jennie. Alice was born in 1790 so a big age difference between Julia and her sister Alice, it would seem as though Richard was the same one. :D
Sivam

Postby lynnC » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:21 am

Hi Jenny,
I am fairly new to researching the Senior family of the West Indies as I have just discovered that my 4x great grandmother was Alice Senior, born 1790 at St Christopher/Kitts so I have a long way to go to fill in the gaps. Do you know if the family descended from Sephardic Jews? We have never known anything about our maternal grandfather's family (Alice Charlotte Harwood born in Deptford in 1852 so this site is very exciting and useful for my family to start researching. I'll read all the posts and see what I can find. I was interested to learn that Julia died in Geelong Victoria which is only 30 minutes from where I live.
Thanks!
Lynn
lynnC

Postby EricD » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:44 am

Hi Lynn
Alice Senior is also my 4xgreat-grandmother (see my post of 19 April). I don't think "our" Seniors have any connection with the Sephardic Jewish family of that name. Alice's father Richard was in St Kitts as a soldier, came from Yorkshire and was baptised as a baby.
All the best
Eric
EricD

PreviousNext

Return to Surnames S