NEWMAN - Jamaica, Manchester

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

NEWMAN - Jamaica, Manchester

Postby skeman » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:05 am

Hi.

I am searching for my father's mother's family. My grandmother was Ann Louise Leslie nee Newman. She was born in Manchester, Jamaica.

She was born around 1873, married and started a family later the family moved to New York City in 1921 ... she lived in US until about 1935 (she wanted to go home after my grandfather died in Dec 1933).

So she return to Jamaica and lived for a while with her son Dr. Linton C. Leslie; she died approx. 1957.

The Leslie family lived many years in Christiana. My grandfather W.C. (William Charles) was a school master, he was active in

I do not know who her parents or siblings were, I hope some one can enlighten me.
skeman

Re: NEWMAN - Jamaica, Manchester

Postby JohnW » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:04 am

A famous Jamaican runner from the 70's who ran in the Olympics: SEYMOUR NEWMAN, is from Manchester from what I heard and is back there now as a coach of Track & Field.

I'm not sure where he is but could inquire.
JohnW

Postby Andrea » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:34 pm

Hi I just signed up and saw this post on your grand mother Ann Louise Leslie nee Newman... I too have Newman's on my tree from Manchester. Her father's name was Richard Newman. Ann died 16 June 1956 in Kingston.

I will try and see if she is related to my Newman's from Manchester. Let me know if you need any records
Andrea

Postby skeman » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:02 am

Hi Andrea,

I just saw your reply: Re: Ann Louise Newman of Manchester, Jamaica ... I am looking for any and all records ... I am unable to identify who her family members were, discovering her mother's name and which Richard Newman was her dad ( I have found more than one possibility).

I know very little about my grandmother or her husband (my grandfather William Charles Leslie).

Carmen
skeman

Postby RNewman68 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:56 am

Hello, in my family tree I see Anne Louise married to WC, with parents Richard Newman and Esther Cohen. She had seven siblings that I am aware of and children including Gladys, James, Ina and Clarence. I don't have a great amount of detail about particular individuals but can perhaps help to construct your family tree.
Rob
RNewman68

Return to Jamaica