SENIOR (Richard) - West Indies

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

SENIOR (Richard) - West Indies

Postby Sivam » Mon May 26, 2014 4:38 am

Senior Family- There was a post regarding Richard Senior who died in Kent in 1835, I see that a Julia Senior died in Sheerness, Kent (where the family lived) in 1837 aged 71. I think that was probably his wife. She was from the West Indies but still can't find her surname. Maybe someone can help. :?
Sivam

Re: SENIOR (Richard) - West Indies

Postby jancar » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:42 am

Hi,
Re Richard Senior
---------------------
May be we are talking about two different people here but the I have in my Richard was born in Yorkshire then he went to the West indies and possibly married Julia there. I know for a fact that his daughter Alice was born there in 1790. Alice was my later husband's great grandmother many times removed. I have her in the 1851 census and all subsequent census reports where she gave her place of birth as the West Indies, possibly St. Kitts. Alice had siblings, Richard & Catherine, there could be more but this is all I have found so far and according to info I was given they were born in England. Alice named two of her daughters Catherine & Julia, the 1st after her sister and the 2nd after her mother. Their father, Richard, I believe in his younger years, was a naval man, as he was in the last years of his life, working for the Navy at Sheerness. Re Richard though, this is all conjecture. He could have been a trader working for a company that went back and forth between England and the West Indies - who knows as there aren't many surviving records. As I said he worked for the Navy in his last years, but that might have been because that was all the work he could get. His daughter Catherine put down on her marriage cert that Richard was a gentleman inferring that he was well off. I don't think this was the case.

Kind Regards
Jancar
jancar

Postby jancar » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:44 am

Hi,

You said you found a record for Julia's death in Sheerness in 1837. Could you tell how and where to find it.

Regards
Jancar
jancar

Postby Sivam » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:48 pm

Jancar, thanks for the very interesting information re. Richard Senior, I will 'plough' through my papers to see where I found Julia's death in 1837, I suspect it was a paid site which I do no longer have a membership with. I will be back to you though! :lol:
Sivam

Postby Sivam » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:35 pm

Jancar, Me again I got this information from family search, Julia Senior, burial date 22/03/1837, Minster in Sheppey, Kent. I do not know if this is Alice's Mother but the age seemed right, more sleuthing to be done! :D
Sivam

Postby Sivam » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:22 am

Jancar, This record is also on Find My Past and definitely says Sheerness which is where my ancestors lived.
Sivam

Postby jancar » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:59 pm

Hi Sivam,

Thank you for this information. Will have to do a search to see if anyone has the actual death certificate, which I doubt, but no harm in trying.

Regards
Jancar
jancar

Postby Pauline » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:36 am

Hi
I have seen the posts on Richard Senior father of Alice Senior born West Indies 1790, these are my ancestors, Alice Senior married William Harwood in Minster Kent at the tender age of 16 in 1806......Does anyone have any information on why he was actually in the West Indies and Alice was born there, was her mother previously from West Indies?

Thanks Pauline
Pauline

Postby Sivam » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:54 am

She is also my ancestor. From what I have read from other people's information it appears that she was from the West Indies but noone has given a surname. Some sources say she was of Spanish, Jewish descent. As our family were always told of Spanish ancestry, I think it is possibly correct.
Sivam

Postby Sivam » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:59 am

Pauline, I should have been clearer, I was referring to Alice's mother. Sivam.
Sivam

Postby Pauline » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:05 am

Thanks Sivan for this information........I am unsure if I am able to say this here, but, a family member had a certain form of breast cancer, and was told that it was rare as it was normally only found in American/Caribbean people!! so made me wonder if this could be contributed to the West Indies strain.....just a thought.

How are you connected to Alice, is it through the Harwood family by any chance?

Pauline
Pauline

Postby delabastide » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:49 pm

You might want to try the island of Curacao as the early settlers there were of the Senior family and are very much still there making well known Liquors
Attachments
SAM_0968.JPG
SAM_0966.JPG
SAM_0969.JPG
delabastide

Postby Sivam » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:17 pm

Delabastide, thankyou so much for that information, and Pauline we are connected as we are from the Harwood line as well!
Sivam

Postby delabastide » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:24 am

Glad to be of help,
Sending another bit of trivia i forgot to attach last time
Attachments
SAM_0967.JPG
delabastide

Postby Pauline » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:22 pm

Delabastide Thank you so much for this information gratefully received....

I am from James Harwood son of William and Alice nee Senior......have information on most of the siblings, especially Catherine!!
again thanks Pauline
Pauline

Next

Return to Surnames S