BURKE, ASHBY, VALVERDE - Barbados, Trinidad, Grenada

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

Re: BURKE, ASHBY, VALVERDE - Barbados, Trinidad, Grenada

Postby JohnK » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:19 am

We probably share a common ancestor in the Valverde line.

I reckon the first Valverde's in Barbados were Portuguese Jews probably out of Brazil.

Some became Quakers and by the 1800's had become Anglican.

That's why I think there are so many blanks in the parochial records.

There is also a Sarah Valverde described as a Free Negro baptized in 1713 when she was 36.

I suspect she was given her freedom by a Valverde who had become a Quaker.

From the wills I reckon Eleazar Valverde was a Quaker as he is listed as a friend of Rachael Levy in her 1712 will.

Would be interesting to check on his deeds and will because almost certainly there will be no record of a baptism or marriage.
JohnK

Postby JohnK » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:11 pm

I could be wrong but I don't believe Keilings/Keelings were Jewish.

There are occurrences of early baptisms and marriages in the Anglican Church that to my mind rule out that possibility.

Also, the list of Jewish Deaths in Early Barbados published at familysearch.org has no instances I can find of this name.

There are no Keiligs/Keilings in the two early censuses as far as I can see which is a surprise.

It is possible that members of this early family were persons of colour.
JohnK

Postby bimjim » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:38 pm

Barbados Census, 1715...

David Valverde - 1 man (30), 1 woman (28), 2 boys (4, 3)
Elias Valverde - 1 man (24), 1 woman (24), 2 boys (4, 2.5), 1 girl (6 mos)

There are 16 Ashby/Ashbye, 25 Burck/Burk/Burke.
---
Hotten's "Lists"...

1680 Barbados inhabitants in St. Michael (Barbados)...
Abr: VALUERDE, 2 children, 4 slaves
---
There is no Valverde listed in the index of Hotten's "Omitted Chapters".
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby JohnK » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:09 am

I have a record of a death of Abraham Valverde in 1706/7 so he would not appear in the 1715 census, however, his widow might if she were alive.

The 1715 census has a Jaell Valverde, 1 woman age 50 and 2 girls aged 14 and 12. I think she is his widow and the two girls are his daughters, born before he died.

However, they are not the 2 children from the 1680 census.

I think David and Jacob, aged 30 and 31 may be his sons and were his two eldest children.

But there are two other Valverdes to account for from the time, Elias and Eleazar who appear in the Saunders/Macrae wills. You also have Elias as 24 from 1715 census. I figure he is another son and since Eleazar is at a loose end I am going to guess he is yet another son.

So I think the first Valverde family comprised Abraham and Jaell and their six children, four boys and two girls.

Mrs. Jaell Valverde is listed in the records for Jewish Deaths in 1721, aged 56. This agrees with her age in the 1715 census.

The next Valverde to depart this life was Elias, aged 3 years and 1 month, son of Daniel and Simcha Abigail Valverde ..... I reckon he is a grandson named after his uncle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simcha

I am going to infer that Daniel was a 7th child.

Jacob Valverde died in 1729 aged 44, in 1715 he would have been 30 so I think he is the one from the 1715 census.

Moses Valverde died in 1739 aged 22 years and 4 months ... I think he is another grandson.

Abraham Valverde, looks like F.M. died in 1739 aged 26 years. F.M. is Free Mulatto. Family looks like it was mixed from pretty early.

In 1742, Jaell Hannah of David and Simcha Valverde died at 26 years.

In 1743 Isaac Haim Valverde died at 33 years of age. I reckon another grandson.

etc. etc.

It is possible to infer a family tree and then look for wills and deeds to confirm.

The records on family search.org are amazing.

I know I can go to the archives and access them but imagine being able to do it from home.
JohnK

Postby bimjim » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:23 am

Dunno how I missed those others in the Census Index... I did just find Jaell Vallvardie, David and Jacob Valvarde, but now can't find the original David and Elias I quoted above in the Index!!

Stranger than friction... anyhoo...
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby JohnK » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:22 am

Too many names!!!

I think you may have got Elias from the baptisms and marriages up to 1800 database.

Eleazar is in there too as are David and Jacob and Abraham, but not Jaell.
JohnK

Postby JohnK » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:50 am

oops!!

There is a Mrs. Rebecca Valverde who died in 1705 and a Rebecca Valverde (child) who died in 1682

First creates problems, second does only if child is older than 2 years.

Unfortunately no Valverde wills prior to 1715
JohnK

Postby JohnK » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:32 am

Problem if wrong age but could be first daughter in law who died young ... still ok with proposal
JohnK

Postby bimjim » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:47 pm

I'm getting the 1715 census names from David Kent's book "Barbados and America" (the 1679/80 and 1715 census names).

David Valvarde (above) is listed on page 195, Elias is four names down but not listed in the Index.

1715 census...
Jaell Valverde, p186, 1 woman (50), 2 Girls (14, 12).
Jacob Valvarde, p191, 1 man (31), 1 woman (31), 3 boys (7, 6, 5), 6 girls (9, 8, 4, 3, 2, 1)

I'm just starting to put this into my database, but it does not fit chronologically.

Abraham .FM. Valverde b.ca.1685 would have been 20 years younger than
Jaell Valverde, b.ca.1665, and her
Children
1. Jacob Valverde, b. ca.1684
2. Elias Valverde, b. ca.1691
would have been the same ages as their father.

Time to separate and re-think.
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby JohnK » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:21 pm

I'm using that book too

Missed Elias as he isn't in the index but picked him (also Eleazar) up in the Sanders/Macrae Wills

Fast Forward to 1822-1842!!

I am finding Elizabeth Keiling Valverde a Free Coloured Woman as well as Rebecca and Mary Valverde also a Free Coloured women baptizing children.

I am guessing they are siblings of Joseph Keiling Valverde, listed as a shoemaker in his first two marriages, Maria Holder and Jane Cutting in 1829 and after 1837.

There is also a Michael and Caterine Valverde baptizing a Mary Keiling Valverde in 1842. I am guessing he is in the mix somewhere. I see Michael Valverde being baptized by Rebecca Valverde in 1828.

Keiling and Valverde only started to be put together at this point in history.

Almost certain Keiling is not Jewish and is probably Free Coloured or more likely Free Negro from the Quaker era.

Need to check and see if Isaac Valverde (1776-1853) left a will or did deeds.

He is the last Valverde death listed in the Jewish records .... 1853 ... he was 77.
JohnK

Postby JohnK » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:23 pm

Where do you get Abraham's age from?
JohnK

Postby bimjim » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:29 pm

From your Posts above...
"Abraham Valverde, looks like F.M. died in 1739 aged 26 years. F.M. is Free Mulatto. Family looks like it was mixed from pretty early.'

I also have been annotating people with FM, FCP, FCW, etc. depending on the "descriptions" provided before slavery was abolished.

And I have the entire set of Sanders, it's been a while since I went through them looking up the new surnames which came along.
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby JohnK » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:35 pm

There is also an Abraham Valverde death in 1706/7 in the list of Jewish deaths with no age who I think is the patriarch.

That's why there is no Abraham Valverde on the 1715 census and only Jaell.

No age is given in the record of his death.

Abraham the F.M, I reckon is the second generation, the result of one of Abraham the Patriarch's sons efforts .... or perhaps even Abraham the Patriarch himself.

Abraham the Patriarch left no will.

Hopefully his sons did and the existence of Abraham the F.M. can be linked to one!!

My feeling is Abraham the F.M. may have been Eleazar's son.
JohnK

Postby bimjim » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:16 pm

Sanders Wills Vol III p253
Abraham Valverde named as nephew in the Will of Aaron NAVARRO 4 July 1685, son of Abraham NAVARRO of Amsterdam, now resident in Barbados.

Sanders Wills II, p209: Will (abstract) of Rachael LEVY of St. Michael's Town, widow.
24 Feb 1712, RB6/7, p151
Xtrs are to . 2 tombstones, 1 for myself and 1 for my husband Emanuel Levy decd to be placed in the burying place amongst the rest of our brethren; my cousins Jacob Valverde, David Valverde, and Eliza Valverde; friends Jacob Frances and Eleazer - Xtrs. Signed Rachael (x) Levy
Wit, John Park, Thos: Clarke

Volume I has no Valverde in the Index.
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby JohnK » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:04 pm

That 3 volume set of wills is a work of art.

It contains the extracts from all available wills up to about 1715.

I use it a lot like the Census.

Volume I is the earliest .... no mention of Valverde means possibly no Valverdes were present at the time.

Volume II and III chronologically follow.

Some families in Volume I are likely to have been here from the beginning.

My guess would be that Navarro arrived around the time of Valverde as they only appear in Volume II wills. There is one marriage in the Navarro family in Saunders/Macrae church records and that is in 1717, a couple of generations on from when the first Navarro's arrived.

The other thing to notice in the Valverde family is that up to 1800, there is only one baptism ... turns out to be a Free Mulatto, Sarah.

That speaks to their religious beliefs.

You will also find blanks in families that became Quaker, different sets of records which are unavailable.

That's why there are roadblocks in most families in the church records.
JohnK

PreviousNext

Return to Surnames V