GARNER, LUMSDEN, DALY - Trinidad & Tobago, POS & Arouca

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

GARNER, LUMSDEN, DALY - Trinidad & Tobago, POS & Arouca

Postby Caribgirl » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:33 pm

My Great Grandfather, Edward Garner, was apparently well known in Arouca and resided at his Woodland estate. According to his obituary he was born in 1838 and died in 1905. His wife is believed to be Mary Edouard and they had 2 daughters and one son - Joseph Bertiere Garner who was my paternal Grandfather.

Joseph Bertiere Garner married Alice Maud Lumsden and had two children - my Aunt Louisa May Garner and my father Ralph Edward Garner. JB left his family in Trinidad and went to live in the US where he remained until he passed. We have never been able to trace back further than Edward Garner and so have hit a wall with respect to the origin of the Garners.

Stories describe that they spoke French patois and may have come from one of the French Islands. However, my Father also spoke French Patois and was born in POS - so doesn't necessarily follow! Many people in the country areas spoke patois at that time.

We are related to the de la Rosas. Eugene de la rosa was the son of Eugenia Garner who would have been my father's Aunt. As children, we were told very little of any of the branches of the family.

My sister and I are looking for any information on the Garners - we had a cocoa/coffee estate in Maracas Valley and perhaps someone may remember us and know more about the family than we do!

We are also related to the Lumsdens and my grandmother's mother was Anna Maria Daly before marrying Mathew Lumsden so we are related to the Dalys as well.

Anyone out there who might have any information - we would love to hear from you!
Caribgirl

Return to Surnames D