CONSTABLE, MOURGUE - Dominica, Roseau

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

CONSTABLE, MOURGUE - Dominica, Roseau

Postby Hugh Constable » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:28 am

I am interested in any information on the Constable and Mourgue families who were active in the West Indies in the 1700's and early 1800's. My ggg grandfather was John Charles Constable born in 1770. He had a brother Daniel and a sister Cecilia Rebecca (b 1768). I would love to find out where they were born, when and where their parents (or an earlier generation) arrived in West Indies and where they were from originally. What I do know is that all three siblings were resident in Roseau, Dominica from about 1795 to about 1840.

John Charles Constable married a woman called Laetitia Maria Mourgue in about 1798. She was born in 1779, probably somewhere in the West Indies, and I would like to know where. Her father was a Henry Mourgue. I have found another (French) website which says he was a Captain in the British merchant navy, and he died in 1788 off "Ile Princess". I would like to know where he lived, and exactly where Ile Princess is. (Google does not give much help on this last point.)

These are fairly uncommon surnames, and I would be interested in ANY information on families with these names, no matter which island.

Regards
Hugh Constable
Hugh Constable

Re: CONSTABLE, MOURGUE - Dominica, Roseau

Postby Laydee Gee » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:44 pm

Hi Hugh,

My name is Gloria Constable and I am currently researching my family tree. My grandfather is John Robert Constable and his father is also John Constable
both from Jamaica. I haven't managed to go back further yet but was told maybe the name Constable orginated from England.

I live in Birmingham England.

Let me know what you think.

Regards
Laydee Gee

Postby Hugh Constable » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:42 pm

Hi Gloria
Yes - I can confirm that the Constable name did originate in England, and the "heart" of Constable country (going back to 1200s) is the East Riding of Yorkshire , a bit east of the town of Beverley. There's a big stately home there called Burton Constable Hall which is well worth a visit. Wassand Hall in the same area belongs to a different branch of the family. Burton Constable Hall is not to be confused with Constable Burton Hall near Leyburn in North Yorkshire. Despite the name, this has little if any Constable connections!

The question for both of us, eventually, is to work out when our ancestors actually moved out from England to the West Indies. I know there was a fairly big population of Constables in Barbados in the ealy 1700's but I have have not been able to find a link between this poulation and my ggg grandfather John Charles Constable in Dominica. Even I can establish that link, it still another big step to find the link back to England....

Regards

Hugh Constable
Hugh Constable

Postby REVANS » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:49 pm

Hugh,
I've researching my surname since 1988. I can get back to 1500 in Saxtead Suffolk; they proliferate all over Suffolk from there.
In 2006 Bruce Constable from Australia asked about Leatitia Constable who married John James Revans in 1835.
Until last weekend I had no answers until I saw your research. Over the years people have got the wrong Revans. They try to tie Laetitia to the Revans who worked for over 40 years for Golding Constable (Silver Teapot?). He was James Revans b 1751 in Halesworth Suffolk.
My question to you is do you know John Charles Constable's parentage?
In 1848 there was a court case Revans v Constable about a child Charles Constable Revans the defendants included John Charles Constable and Leatitia Revans.
REVANS

Postby Hugh Constable » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:36 pm

Hi

Charles Constable Revans (1836 - 1909) was indeed the son of Laetitia Constable and John Revans, and a grandson of John Charles Constable. This John Revans was from Dublin and they married on 25 Oct 1835. In the marriage register, he is given as just "John Revans", and not "John James Revans".

Unfortunately I still know nothing of the parentage of John Charles Constable, and this is the most annoying "brick wall" in my family history research project. All I know is that he was born in the West Indies (probably Dominica) in around 1770. He had a sister, Cecilia Rebecca Constable born in 1768 and a brother Daniel, who I think was younger than himself. I know about a surprising amount about John Charles' later life, but as I said, nothing about his parentage.

There are records mentioning a William Constable and a Henry Constable both as landowners in Dominica in the late 1770's and early 1780's. One of them could be John Charles' father, but I have no evidence to support this idea.
Hugh Constable

Postby REVANS » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:35 am

Hugh,

Laetitia's "John Revans" was from Suffolk; his mother was Eleanor Kinsey. Arthur Kinsey was named as THE NEXT FRIEND of the infant Charles Constable Revans in the 1848 court case. Do you know what the case was about?

Regards,
Walter
REVANS

Postby Hugh Constable » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:03 am

Hi Walter
No - I don't know what the case was about. I have done some searches on Charles Constable Revans, and can find lots of references to his bankruptcy, but have found nothing about this court case. Please tell me!

You are right that this John Revans was not born in Ireland. The marriage was was reported in The Gentleman's Magazine of July 1835, and it says he was Secretary to the Irish Poor Commission. So I guess that when the marriage register says he was from Dublin, its just that he was working there at the time. But are you sure he was from Sussex? According to 1851 census, he was born in Kensington Surrey. The 1861, 1871 and 1881 censuses all say it was Lambeth, Surrey.

Rgds

Hugh
Hugh Constable

Postby REVANS » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:26 am

Hugh,
He was from SUFFOLK not SUSSEX and he appears in my family tree. There are two sides to the family he comes from the movers and shakers the other side stayed mostly in the country. As far as the court case is concerned it was 1848 and as Charles Constabele Revans was born 1836 it's got to be a family argument. The record isn't ., it has to be retrieved from the National Archive. I hadn't done any of this for a year and I had a spare weekend and then you get involved in the story Slaves, Dominica, Yorkshire, Court cases and other Constables (rather than the famous one).

Walter
REVANS

Return to Surnames C