MARTILLER - Caribbean unknown

Antilles Francaises - Guyane, Grenada, St. Lucia, St. Vincent, Dominica, Martinique, Guadeloupe, Marie Galante, Les Saintes, St. Kitts, Nevis, St. Martin, St. Bartholemy, Haiti, etc.
Specifically for major differences in research methods and sources.
Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

MARTILLER - Caribbean unknown

Postby Susan » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:26 pm

I am looking for information on Nancy and her siblings Phillis, Bowling and John; all have the last name of Martiller. I'm not sure what island they came from. They were brought to Virginia, USA by a sea captain named Muscoe Livingston in 1783. At that time Nancy was 7 years old; she was born in 1776. She and her siblings were slaves belonging to Livingston, but on his death in 1798 successfully sued for their freedom.
Susan

Re: MARTILLER - Caribbean unknown

Postby sweets » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:47 pm

THIS IS WHAT I HAVE OF THE LIVINGSTON FAMILY. I AM A DESCENDANT OF JACK, AND THEY WERE BORN IN ANTIGUA.

NANCY'S LAST NAME WAS MCGIVEN. SHE HAD FOUR CHILDREN, ANNETT, COLSTON, PATRICK AND WILLIAM, AND THEY LIVED IN ESSEX VIRGINIA AS SLAVES OF MUSCOE LIVINGSTON.

MUSCOE LIVINGSTON WAS JACK'S FATHER. I NEED MORE INFO ON THE MARTILLER AND JOSH SURNAMES. I HAVE NAMES OF OTHER MARTILLER CHILDREN AND GRAND CHILDREN.

HOW CAN I HELP YOU?
sweets

Postby Susan » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:12 am

I am descended from Colston McGiven who is registered in Essex County, Va in 1815 as a free black who was also known as Colston Waring. He was my 3rd great grandfather. In 1824 he left the USA and settled in the colony of Liberia in West Africa. I would love to read what you have on Colston' s mother's family. I know his mother was still living in Essex County in 1810, but beyond that I know nothing else about her. I could not find a trace ofthe other members in her family.
Susan

Re: MARTILLER livingston

Postby sweets » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:42 am

WELL HELLO LOST COUSIN. LOL
I DONT KNOW MARTILLER SURNAME. HOWVER I WILL TAKE A LOOK AT MY TREE,AND SHARE WITH U WHAT I HAVE.
WHERE ARE YOU LOCATED? WE JUST HAD A FAMILY REUNION IN SALEM WINSTON NC. FOR THE LIVINGSTON FAMILY.
sweets

Postby Susan » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:52 am

I have a family tree on ancestry.com. I'm not sure if you can view it as it is private. I'm not a registered member any more, so I'm not sure I can invite you. I am in Pittsburgh, pa.
Susan

Postby Susan » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:24 am

I have lots of questions about the family and maybe you can answer them. I'll begin with what was Captain Livingstone role in all of this? Why did he bring the children here? Did he bring their mother here too? Where did they live in US?
Susan

Postby sweets » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:53 pm

SUSAN,I HAVE ALOT OF INFO ON THE LIVINGSTON FAMILY. I BELIEVE MARTILLER WAS MUSCOE'S LOVER BECAUSE HE NEVER GOT MARRIED.

THEY WERE BROUGHT TO ESSEX COUNTY VA. FOR A BETTER LIFE.

MY RESEARCH WAS BASED ON JOHN LIVINGSTON MUSCOE'S SON. I AM NOT SURE ABOUT NANCY'S SURNAME. I DO NOT HAVE HER SURNAME, DO YOU?

ALSO THERE WAS A JOSH - SERVANT - THAT CAME HERE WITH THE FAMILY.
sweets

Postby Susan » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:22 pm

Thanks, I thought that Martiller was a last name, but it seems that it was a first name. I guess the children had different last names, Nancy was McGiven and her sister Phillis was Richards. I think back then it was common to have one name especially slaves. Do you have a reference for the Livingstone notes, I would love to read it?
Susan

Postby sweets » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:49 pm

FREEAFRICANAMERICANS.COM-VA
NANCY -SURNAME I DONT KNOW
PHILLIS SURNAME I DONT KNOW
sweets

Postby sweets » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:22 pm

DO YOU THINK SINCE, COLSTON WENT TO LIBERIA THIS IS WERE HIS FAMILY WERE FROM (Liberia)?

I READ SOMEWHERE IN DOCUMENTS OF ESSEX COUNTY THAT THE FREE SLAVES WERE GIVEN A CHOICE OF GOING BACK TO AFRICA PAID BY THE COUNTY OF VA/OR THE SLAVE OWNER.
sweets

Postby Susan » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:23 pm

I don't think that Colston knew where his African ancestors came from. He went to Liberia because it was a place where he could be free. Life in the US for free blacks was difficult.
Susan

Postby Susan » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:27 pm

Do you know if Martiller, Phillis, Nancy and John were related?
Susan

Postby sweets » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:02 am

I KNOW JOHN LIVINGSTON IS MARTILLER SON. NANCY,PHYLLIS I ASSUME THEY ARE FAMILY MEMBERS, SINCE THE GROUP CAME TOGETHER.
I HAVE THEM ON MY SISTER AS MARTILLER CHILDREN WITH QUESTION MARK. ALSO A JOSH CAME WITH THEM AS MUSCOE SERVANT.
sweets

Postby Susan » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:18 am

I just found out that Musco Livingston was married to an Isabel. They had a son John Livingston who was christened on 02 July 1776 in St James parish, Jamaica. Is this John your ancestor?
Susan

Postby Susan » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:27 am

John Livingston was born in 1770. He had a sister Mary Livingston who was born in 1768. Muscoe Livingston's father was John Livingston who was born in 1716 in King and Queen Co, Virginia, USA. He died in 1752 in Jamaica. His wife was Frances Muscoe, born in 1720.
Susan

Next

Return to Research specialties - French West Indies