OGILVIE - Grenada

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

Re: OGILVIE - Grenada

Postby Marion » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:41 pm

Also wondering, was the James Ogilvie you talk about disowned by his family for marrying a catholic girl? Thanks for any info you have
Marion

Postby jondaniel66 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:09 pm

Hi Helen K,

Hope you are keeping well.

I believe we may well be related. My name is Jon (Jonathan) Daniel and my mother is Sheila Daniel (nee Ogilvie) originally from La Digue, St. Andrews in Grenada. You have previously responded to an "ELOISE OGILVIE" on this site who is also a 3rd cousin of mine from Bristol, UK and the grand=daughter of ROLAND OGILVIE who is my mother's first cousin.

I believe the uncle you mentioned who went to the UK and was not heard of again is not ROLAND, but ADRIAN OGILVIE.

So to give you some background, my mother SHEILA is the sibling of Woodrow (deceased), William (Half-Brother, deceased), Louise (living in Grenada), Anne (living in Toronto, Canada).

They are the offspring of JAMES GORDON OGILVIE (b. 18 Feb 1895) and ISABELLA (nee BELL - b. 16 July 1894). My grandfather was I believe the only land surveyor on the island at the time and my grandmother ran and owned retail properties in Grenville.

I too, would love to find out more to see how your family connects to mine as I would love to try and trace back through the generations to the Scottish roots I have always been told about.

I wish you and your family a happy christmas and new year and look forward to hearing and sharing more in due course.

Warmest regards and Seasons greetings

Johnny
jondaniel66

Postby maximary » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:21 am

Peter William Ogilvie and William Reid Ogilvie are my family as well. The Reid name is presumably for Margaret (Reid) Ogilvie whose birth (Reid) family were silk weavers in Dundee. I have not been on the site for ages , but am ready to get on more frequently again as things are a bit more settled at home!.
Maximary - Granddaughter of Alithea Maria Ogilvie; great granddaughter of James Ogilvie.
maximary

Postby Aogilvie » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:03 pm

Hi maximary,

I have a question. Do you know when the brothers left scotland to go to Grenada, Jamaica and Canada? And are you sure they left from Dundee?

I have a George Ogilvie born in Grenada in 1807 (or 1803) and I am assuming he was the first to be born in Grenada (or maybe the second).

Any help you can provide would be appreciated.
Aogilvie

Postby BigBoss424 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:35 pm

Hello all, I'm trying to figure out where my grandfather fits in all this. His name is Ralph Gordon Ogilvie who married a woman named Vida my grandmother. So can anyone give me any hints to this.
BigBoss424

Postby BigBoss424 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:40 pm

Also what sparked my curiosity is this post about my grandfather.

http://barnaclegrenada.com/index.php/lo ... lly-opened
BigBoss424

Postby Aogilvie » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:09 pm

hi,

There is an Ogilvie family tree on geni.com.

There are about 3 or 4 Ralph Ogilvies. Do you have any more information? such as who his kids were?

BTW i don't check this site often so if you need something by Private Message.
Aogilvie

Postby maximary » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:44 pm

I am so sorry I never saw this post when it appeared. But I think I may have a connection.
My Peter Ogilvie and his wife Margaret Reid had 7 children, and indeed one of them was William who died in infancy. In Order - James (1840-1910), William Reid (5/02/1842 - 01/05/1842), Kenneth Chisholm(b 1844), Peter William (b1850), Margaret Reid (b 06/01/1853 1853), Isabella (06/01/1853, John Carmichael (10/03/1854 - 01/02/1884) died in the "society islands".
The eldest son James is my great grandfather.
BTW I have an old letter written by Margaret reid ogilvie, in which she mentions a Capt. James Ogilvie becoming Mayor of Kingston Jamaica, about whom I have no further info.
I am in Ontario, Canada. Again my apologies, I hope you haven't changed your email!
Mary Davies
Maximary - Granddaughter of Alithea Maria Ogilvie; great granddaughter of James Ogilvie.
maximary

Postby Aogilvie » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:49 pm

Thanks. I do check from time to time. I'm in Ontario, Canada too
Aogilvie

Previous

Return to Surnames O