HYLTON - Jamaica

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

HYLTON - WESTMORELAND, JAMAICA

Postby Merissa » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:35 pm

Hi,

I have been trying to compile my family tree for the last year or so. My father's side are all Hyltons, the majority of which are based in Sheffield, Westmoreland, Jamaica.

I have managed to trace as far as my ggg-grandfather, but information seems to get sparse after that, so I've decided to attack it from the opposite direction and try to see if I can match my ancestors to the information I have about Hylton Castle and the Hilton/Hylton family which were based in Sunderland, UK.

So far I know that Ralph Hilton, a descendant of Sir William Hilton had settled in Jamaica by the 1740's and that several members of the family went on to own sugar plantations. I Believe that my father's family are probably descended from the Africans who worked on the sugar plantations, But I really need to find out where these plantations were and who the owners were and possibly if there are any records of the slaves that were kept on these plantations.

I would appreciate any help you can give to assist me in my search.

Thanks,

Merissa Hylton-Hamilton
Merissa

HYLTON - Jamaica

Postby JudithL » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:36 am

I have James Alfred Hylton b ? married 21 Aug 1884 Wesley Chapel Belize to Ellen Farquharson b 1860.

Any connection?

Judith
JudithL

Re: HYLTON - Jamaica

Postby Polly » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:34 pm

HYLTON, Jamaica:

My grandmother, Mary, had a 1/2 brother, Alec Hylton. He lived in Kingston, Jamaica and worked at the St Andrew Parish Church. His mother was Susan Lobban. Trying to trace the - father (Hylton).
Polly

Postby DHylton » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:38 pm

Hi!

I'm trying to locate any Hyltons in Jamaica who are related to a Uriel W. Hylton, son of Jack Hylton & Rosana Jemina Mclean. I'm trying to learn more about their ancestors and especially on the Hylton name. Also all info regarding the Mclean family will be much appreciated.
DHylton

Re: HYLTON - Jamaica - moved to Cayman Islands

Postby TKE » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:02 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to find any information on Hyltons/Hiltons who emigrated from Jamaica in the Late 1800's and moved to the Cayman Islands

Any help would be much appreciated,

Thanks
TKE
TKE

Postby donnamac25 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:42 pm

I have an ancestor named Esther Hylton Dolphy. Esther was born in St. Catherine parish, and lived in Old Harbour and Linstead areas. Esther had a sister named Josephine Elizabeth Hylton Hudson who died in Buff Bay, Portland parish in 1908. Her other sisters were Estella (married to Pierre), Annie (married name Hunter), another sister (married name March ) and a brother (father of Bancroft Hylton).

Do any of these names show up in your tree, by chance? I'm having a difficult time locating any information on Hyltons in St. Catherine.
donnamac25

Postby EJ08 » Mon May 09, 2011 1:20 am

Hi,

An aunt of mine, Adina Locke married a Luther Hylton in Westmoreland Parish, Sheffield, Jamaica. They had the following children

Hanley De Cordeva Hylton b. Aug 17, 1921
Beryl Esmeralda Hylton b. March 21, 1923
Luther Hylton b. Aug 7, 1926
Daisy Medora Hylton b. Oct 27, 1930

Any one connected?
EJ08

Postby donnamac25 » Mon May 09, 2011 9:06 pm

Unfortunately, I haven't come across any of those names in my research so far.
donnamac25

Postby stormy » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:29 am

I wonder, if your ggg-grandfather was by chance George Hylton. He had a twin sister called Mary Hylton? Born around 1801.
stormy

Postby dianhylton » Sun May 19, 2013 11:13 pm

My gg father's name is Bancroft Hylton. I just started doing family history research and would love any information.
Dian Hylton
dianhylton

Postby Judy Binns » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:23 am

donnamac25 wrote:I have an ancestor named Esther Hylton Dolphy. Esther was born in St. Catherine parish, and lived in Old Harbour and Linstead areas. Esther had a sister named Josephine Elizabeth Hylton Hudson who died in Buff Bay, Portland parish in 1908. Her other sisters were Estella (married to Pierre), Annie (married name Hunter), another sister (married name March ) and a brother (father of Bancroft Hylton).

Do any of these names show up in your tree, by chance? I'm having a difficult time locating any information on Hyltons in St. Catherine.

Judy B
I have no idea what or how to use this site. Sure hope you receive this message.
Family Search shows Bancroft St.John Hylton born 27 Nov. 1920 as the son of Bancroft Churchill Hylton (son of John Roland Hylton) and Miriam Denslo March (daughter of Cecil Denslo March). I am trying to trace the March family and know they were somehow related to or connected to the Dolphy's. The March and Hylton families are from the same area near March Pen, St. Catherine, Ja. Miriam and Bancroft also had 2 daughters - Dorothy Algo and Amy Sylvia Hylton.
Have no info on any of the Hylton sisters. Will keep trying.
Hope this helps you.
Judy Binns

Postby JohnW » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:37 am

I also am trying to find any leads on a 'J.V. Hylton' who was documented to be at Wolmer's Boys' in 1929 & 1930... not sure if this is the 'John V. Hylton' I saw on familysearch, b. Oct. 9, 1913
JohnW

Postby FelixHyl » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:00 pm

Hi I'm trying to find connections for Septimus Augustus Hylton - he marries Annie Maria Green in 1905. The marriage was registered in Dry Harbour, St. Ann. His father was James Hylton and Her Father was Jonathan Green. Their Son Clenson Vivian Hylton was my grandfather. it seems that they have some very distinct names so I hope they will be useful in making connections. Do any of these names connect to your research ?
FelixHyl

Postby donnamac25 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:28 pm

Sorry, but I haven't come across any of those names in my research.
donnamac25

Return to Surnames H