GEORGE - St. Lucia, Castries, Soufriere

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

GEORGE - St. Lucia, Castries, Soufriere

Postby RGeorge » Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:58 pm

Ricardo P. George Bernez, seeking info on the George surname, Henry Rufus George (father), Henry George (grandfather) Edith Dauvergne (grandmother)
RGeorge

Re: GEORGE - St. Lucia, Castries, Soufriere

Postby Peaches » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:44 am

I notice you live in Panama. My great-grandfather was Charles George from St. Vincent. One of his brothers moved to Panama. My brother had a classmate/friend in high school whose father was from Panama. We inquired and his people were originally from St. Vincent, so it appears there's a connection, but we've never looked into it. I've just started working on the family tree. Family legend has it that the brothers all (except for my great-grandfather) went different places. One went to Trinidad. The other went to Panama. And I know of one who went to Cuba. St. Lucia is just across the way from St. Vincent, so I'm thinking we could be related.
Belfon, George, Findlay
Peaches

Postby RGeorge » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:02 am

Peaches wrote:I notice you live in Panama. My great-grandfather was Charles George from St. Vincent. One of his brothers moved to Panama. My brother had a classmate/friend in high school whose father was from Panama. We inquired and his people were originally from St. Vincent, so it appears there's a connection, but we've never looked into it. I've just started working on the family tree. Family legend has it that the brothers all (except for my great-grandfather) went different places. One went to Trinidad. The other went to Panama. And I know of one who went to Cuba. St. Lucia is just across the way from St. Vincent, so I'm thinking we could be related.

Hello Peaches, I received the notice of your visit and your e-mail. I know that my father had a half-brother named Evans George but I will have to obtain more details from my sister. I also know that my great-grandfather, Henry George, had other children who moved to the New York area. I have made a genealogical chart (suspended from 2004) which I can make available to you. This is the first notice I have of family members living in St. Vincent. But I am willing to pursue this with your help.
Regards, Ricardo
RGeorge

Postby Peaches » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:16 am

Hi Ricardo,

I have some more information. My great-grandfather was Charles George. He had a sister named Robertha "Eva" Sam who later divorced her husband and changed her last name to Barrow. He also had a brother named Walter George who supposedly moved to a South American country and no one's heard from him since. He had a brother "Mannie" who moved to Panama from St. Vincent to build the canal and moved to the U.S. around 1914, when the canal was finished. Mannie George (which by the way I don't believe was his real name) had a son named Berdie. Berdie moved straight from St. Vincent to the U.S. Mannie George was never married to Berdie's mother. There also was a brother named Theophilus George. I haven't figured out yet if he was Mannie George--one and the same person. There also was an Earnest George who moved to the U.S. from St. Vincent. I'm not sure yet exactly who he was.

I'm still trying to get in contact with my cousin who moved here from Panama and said a long time ago that he had family originally from St. Vincent. I'll post that info once I get it. We've never sat down and figured out how we're related.

My great-great-grandfather was also named Charles George.

Shannon
Belfon, George, Findlay
Peaches

Postby Peaches » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:49 am

I have checked with the person I know from Panama about the George family. His ancestors were from Antigua and also had the names of Theophilus, George, Walter and Albert and were from Antigua. As I may have mentioned earlier, my great-great uncle Theophilus had a son named Albert Theophilus.

I have managed to find a Joseph and Adelaide George who moved from St. Vincent to Trinidad before moving to Panama. Some of their children were born in Trinidad before they moved to Panama. I have also found a JOseph Eleza George who lived in Grenada and was from Antigua.

At this point, I can say my family has connections in St. Vincent, Grenada, Antigua, Trinidad and Panama. I still have to dig some more to establish and verify the Antigua connection. I wish you luck in your family search and hopefully this information can be helpful to someone also working on their family tree.
Belfon, George, Findlay
Peaches

Postby RGeorge » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:30 pm

Hello Peaches,
I have not come into this site for many years. I read the last item you posted and wondered if your search has been successful.
God bless you.
Ricardo
RGeorge

Postby Peaches » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:48 am

RGeorge wrote:Hello Peaches,
I have not come into this site for many years. I read the last item you posted and wondered if your search has been successful.
God bless you.
Ricardo

Hello Ricardo,

I took a long break from genealogy and am back at it. I've had some breakthroughs with other surnames. Thanks.

I wasn't able to establish a connection with Georges in Antigua. I do know of George brothers from St. Vincent who moved to different places-- Trinidad, Cuba, Grenada, Panama and somewhere in South America. I do believe there may have already been Georges in Grenada. There's a Samuel George according to the Grenada Handbook that was a pensioner in 1913 and Charles George worked for a similar or the same office and eventually drew a pension as well. I found seemingly a different Samuel George from Grenada in the 1930 US Census as head of the household with boarders who were also from Grenada-- Rufus Mathison, Shadrach Mathison, and Freeling Adams. Samuel George was born in 1897 and Rufus is about a year younger. You mentioned a Henry Rufus, so this name stuck out.

I found records of a Theophilus George born in St. Vincent who died in Panama. And there is a record of Augustus George with his wife Edalia (born in Panama with parents from Jamaica) and their children were Augustus, Alfred and Beatrice. Have you made any headway with the Georges?

I have started to look into the names you mentioned. Evans George was in the 1940 Census for Panama. He and his wife were both born in St. Lucia. And I've seen Henry George who was employed by a ship that departed Panama and arrived in New Orleans in 1943. At this point I'm not sure if the Georges of St. Lucia were the same family as the Georges of St. Vincent. I will look some more into the names you mentioned.

Peaches
Belfon, George, Findlay
Peaches

Postby Travel Lady » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:24 am

I would totally recommend that you guys purchase the AncestryDNA kit and have your dna tested. I am also a George. My branch is coming from the British Virgin Islands and I too have heard the story of brothers going in different directions. I have taken the test. Please consider it and lets see if we match.

Myrna George
Travel Lady

Postby Peaches » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:48 am

Travel Lady wrote:I would totally recommend that you guys purchase the AncestryDNA kit and have your dna tested. I am also a George. My branch is coming from the British Virgin Islands and I too have heard the story of brothers going in different directions. I have taken the test. Please consider it and lets see if we match.

Myrna George

I took the test too! I think I see you on my list. I will send you a PM :)
Belfon, George, Findlay
Peaches

Postby Duncan » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:40 pm

One possible origin of tge George family of St Lucia is as follows.
George Barnard born 1869 in Castries son of Samuel Barnard born Antigua 1832 had a relationship with Cecil (Cecile) Anatole. They were not married but their seven children adopted the name George as their surname possibly their father's first name was the source of the George surname. George Barnard lived first at Castries then Choiseul. The children listed below may have been born before George Barnard's marriage to Florence Hendy in 1905 and possibly as early as 1880.

The children were
Harold George. (Had eleven children with Agnes Mark)
Olive George ( had seven children who apparently took the George surname)
Eta George,
Ada George. (Had three children also using the George surname)
Jeffrey George ( had children with a Ms Didier and had two children on record with the surname Didier)
Thomie George (was reputed to have have had over one hundred children of whom I have the names of thirty.
Charles Henry George (married Marie Simon but I have no record of children)

It is believed Ms Anatole may have been married previous to the relationship or later and may have had other children. Anatole may therefor not have been her original surname.
Duncan

Return to Surnames G