GRAVER - Jamaica, Panama

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

GRAVER - Jamaica, Panama

Postby dbrodie » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:34 pm

Hi, My name is Donna. I am researching the Last name Graver. My Graver's are from Jamaica.

William Gruber b. 1825 was a German from Germany. He jumped Ship in Jamaica at the age of 16. Shortly after, he changed his name to Graver to avoid conscription in to the German Army.

He married a woman named Ann Dodd, a native of Jamaica (Arawak Indian). William and Ann had two children that I am aware of. My GG Grandfather, Henry Dodd Graver and Ann Wilson Dodd.

Henry Dodd Graver married Hannah Saraphine Graver and they had roughly 8 children. Vida, Michael, Henry, Victoria, Ledina or Adina, Rupert, Kathleen and Harwold.

Michael and Rupert migrated to the United States in the early 1900's. Both lived in US and died in the US.

The rest stayed in Jamaica. Kathleen married a man with the last name Blake. They owned a plantation and a few brothels. I believe Victoria came to the US and moved to NY. I am not certain if she married. I can't find any info on her. All I know is that she committed suicide. I don't know how or when. I don't know anything about Vida, Henry Ledina/Adina.

Henry Dodd Graver and Hannah migrated to Panama to work on the Panama Canal. Harwold (Harry) went with them. Harry was killed in the streets of Panama at the age of 19. Hannah Saraphine Leslie graver died in Panama in 1938.

If anyone has any info.. it would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thank you kindly for reading.
dbrodie

Re: GRAVER - Jamaica, Panama

Postby bimjim » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:58 pm

Look in the IGI first (it's free)...
https://familysearch.org/search?PAGE=igi/search_IGI.asp

Here's one record I found...

name Harwold Dudly
event Birth
event date 20 Dec 1898
event place Hanover, Jamaica
gender Male
father Henry Dodd Graver
mother Hannah Sarahphene Leslie
digital folder number 4540741
bimjim
Site Admin

Re: GRAVER - Jamaica, Panama

Postby dbrodie » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:19 pm

Hi,

Thank you so very much for that info. I was fortunate enough to find that info along with the other siblings. I LOVE familysearch.org. It is a fantastic search engine! Thanks again!

xoxoxo
Donna
dbrodie

Return to Surnames G