COLLINS - Trinidad, Port of Spain, St. Ann's, San Fernando

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

COLLINS - Trinidad, Port of Spain, St. Ann's, San Fernando

Postby Palkirkham » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:02 am

I am researching the family of James Henry Collins and his wife Anna Maud Kirkham who migrated to Trinidad with their children around 1884-1888. They had 10 children in Essex, England, some of whom died young. Three more were born in Port of Spain.

James was a butcher and farmer in Dedham Essex, England, but I do not know why he went to Trinidad and what his occupation may have become. Anna died in 1931 at St Ann's, Trinidad, and James in 1930 in Trinidad The youngest child, Mary Esther Collins married George Shaw Swan and he lived and died in North District of San Fernando, Trinidad in 1942. They had 7 children. The youngest was Arthur born 1921, died 1961 in Trinidad. The others may still be living in Trinidad.

If anyone knows anything of any of these family members and how I could gather information about them, I would be glad to receive a reply.

Pamela Kirkham, in South Australia
Palkirkham

Re: COLLINS - Trinidad, Port of Spain, St. Ann's, San Fernan

Postby genphile » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:40 pm

If you think that the family name might have been COLLENS rather than COLLINS, please get in touch.
genphile

Postby Palkirkham » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:18 am

Hi,
Thank you for your reply.
All the records I have are from UK civil reg. and census records,, and their name is spelt COLLINS.

The records I have of Trinidad are from the IGI and the name is COLLINS. However, it is possible it was mis-transcribed to Collens or changed. I do not know.There were 2 children born in Trinidad
Margaret Ada Collins 1888
Mary Esther Collins 20 Oct 1886 both Port of Spain.
Mary's husband was George Shaw SWAN, born Ireland, died N. San Fernando, Trinidad, 29 August 1842.

Both parents James Henry and Anna Maud die in Trinidad.

Any thoughts on this matter are appreciated.

Many thanks.

Pamela
Palkirkham

Postby Palkirkham » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:40 am

Hi,
This is an update to last post and some corrections. I reviewed my records, and discovered a few things more since I last looked (which was a fair while ago). I have found the civil marriage record of James Henry and Anna Maud is spelt Collens. I hadn't noticed that before. I also found two only children's births spelt Collens, the rest, on census and births Collins. Of course enumerators don't always get the spelling correct.

Then I found on findmypast some records which have only been on a short time. I found the shipping records for the Collens/Collins family's travels between Trinidad and UK from 1890 onward till about 1930. Their surname was spelt both ways. There were also a couple of records of some of the children's future husbands travels to Trinidad.

So maybe you query re Collens is pointing in the right direction. They were definitely in Trinidad.

Hopefully this will lead you to point me further in the right direction.

Tjhanks

Pamela
Palkirkham

Postby tottour » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:35 pm

Hi,
I have family/descendants from Trinidad and there has always been confusion or mystery over the names Collins and Collens. I believe both may be correct. At this point I am not exactly sure of the connection but can work through this and get back to you. My family in Trinidad is Todd. There are other family names Collens/Collins, Davidson, Wright that I know of. I can send you more info soon if you are interested.
Thanks
tottour

Postby bimjim » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:48 pm

In an age of literacy such as we enjoy today, I think most people forget that before the First World War most people could NOT read and write. So a name could be spelled any number of ways in records, because how it was recorded depended entirely on how the person speaking it said the name and what the writer of the record/s heard, interpreted and/or how they decided to transcribe it.

Which is why the Soundex algorithm in the IGI is so important - it produces a code of any given name which can match with many other ways the same name can sound when spoken - and I am sure it has connected people all over the world to their research. It's not perfect, but it is an incredible help to researchers.

"Back in the day", records were kept only by clerks and priests, who were people who had education. In many cases the people being recorded themselves knew how their name sounded, but had no idea how their name was spelled. And of course even if they looked at the written record afterwards they could not read it, so there was no way they could know whether the clerk/priest had written their name correctly or not - or even if he had in fact written their name down at all.

One approach I suggest to people starting research is to go to the IGI and enter your desired surname, then write down all the variations the database throws back at you. Now you have a basic range of names which could have been those of your ancestors - although the range from the IGI is not exhaustive and there could easily be others. But it is an excellent start.

For example, in this particular instance earlier ancestors could have actually taken the name "Gawlin" (when surnames became mandatory by law), yet through time and occasionally slurred speech they could have corrupted it to sound like Gollin, Collin or Collen. One day some stranger could have been introduced to the family and reported to the local priest that he had met the Collens, and he then noted all future records of members of the family as Collins.

Yes, this is pretty wild conjuring, but unless you understand that before a certain era education was something only high-born and religious figures had, it's difficult to grasp the reality of times (and names) before 1900.
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby Palkirkham » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:50 am

tottour wrote:Hi,
I have family/descendants from Trinidad and there has always been confusion or mystery over the names Collins and Collens. I believe both may be correct. At this point I am not exactly sure of the connection but can work through this and get back to you. My family in Trinidad is Todd. There are other family names Collens/Collins, Davidson, Wright that I know of. I can send you more info soon if you are interested.
Thanks

Dear Tottour,
Thank you for reply. Yes your family could well be connected to James Henry COLLENS The name is definitely spelt COLLENS though some records have COLLINS. I now believe the former is more correct. We are very eager for any information you can provide.

James and Anna Maud KIRKHAM had as their second child Cecilia Maud COLLENS b. 3 Dec 1872 in Coggeshall Essex England and she married James Bryden Lochart TODD in Trinidad and had 5 children. Two of the children had WRIGHT as a second name, although I do not know its origin. The Todds were merchants and had a store in the main street of Port of Spain. Cecilia is a second cousin 3 times removed of my husband, and Anna Kirkham is a 1st cousin 4 times removed. That is about all I know. I would be grateful for any further information on this family.
Many thanks . Pamela. ( palkirkham)
Palkirkham

Postby ccollens » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:31 pm

I am a direct descendant of James Henry Collens, born in Port of Spain Trinidad. The family name is spelt Collens but a lot of records show Collins. I have quite a bit of information on the Collens family and would love to hear from you in regards to his family. I am also very interested in the Todd family from Trinidad. Regards
ccollens

Postby Palkirkham » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:27 am

tottour wrote:Hi,
Thanks

Dear Tottur, Have you been able to fiind any info on the Todd, Wrights and Davidsons of Trinidad that you can send.
Many thanks,
palkirkham
Palkirkham

Return to Trinidad