HODGE - Antigua, St. Martin, Anguilla

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

Re: HODGE - Antigua, St. Martin, Anguilla

Postby crcurrie » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:55 pm

I'm looking for information on the Antiguan ancestry of my grandfather, Donald Adolphus Currie, who was born there Oct. 17, 1882. His parents were Theresa Hodge and James H. Currie, whose ancestry on U.S. Census records is listed as "Scotch" -- but we suppose that could mean their (or just his) ethnicity, not necessarily that either of them were born there. My grandfather was very dark and was said to be at least part Madeiran Portuguese, and to have been adopted into the Currie family (possibly along with a sister). He was Catholic. He emigrated to the U.S. as a young man and spoke very little about his Caribbean or family origins.

I have found a James Hamilton Currie on Internet records, who was born in Scotland but emigrated to Antigua and who married a Caroline Turpine Russell in 1879. Although it is an odd coincidence that there would have been two James H Curries living on the tiny island of Antigua in the late 19th Century, probably of about the same age, I think it's unlikely that the family records would be wrong about the identity of my grandfather's mother.

Any information about Theresa Hodge or other members of my family would be much appreciated.

Chris
crcurrie

Postby bimjim » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:12 pm

Not in your time line, but just for "other" information, a Joan CURRIE is listed as a prisoner in Edinburgh Correction House, and was transported by Morris Trent (a merchant in Leith) from there to Barbados aboard the Mary (master David Cameron) on 8 May 1663. [Ref: ECA#186.13.4]

Source: "Barbados and Scotland Links 1627-1877" by David Dobson.

And also for reference, there are no references to a CURRIE in either Hotten's "Lists" or the Hotten's "Omitted Chapters" books.
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby Red » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:01 pm

My grandfather also came from the Caribbean and did not speak much about his family. After much digging, I found out he was born out of wedlock; his mother apparently had up to 7 children with a married man. I believe this is the reason he did not want to talk about his family given that his wife (grandmother) came from a conservative catholic family which would not appreciate this fact...
Red

Previous

Return to Surnames H