O'CONNOR, BROWN - Jamaica

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

O'CONNOR, BROWN - Jamaica

Postby sapphiregemini » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:54 am

hi
My grandparents were Julia (nee Campbell) and Roland Johnson of Crofts Hill, Clarendon and I'm searching for family connections. So far I've found matriarchal family names of Dooley, Campbell, Douglas and patriarchal names Johnson, O'Connor and Brown all in the Ludlow, Point Hill and Crofts Hill areas but this is all after 1878. Can anyone guide me to where I can look for births/deaths before this period? I've found most of this in the LDS search engine. Thanks in advance for any pointers and tips as I'm just starting on this road of discovery!

stay peachy! :D
sapphiregemini
sapphiregemini

Re: O'CONNOR, BROWN - Jamaica

Postby Stargazer21 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:55 pm

I am a descendant of the O'Connor line from Point Hil. Have a lot of info on them as I have traced that line back to the 1820s. What O'Connor line are you from,i.e, names of grandparents or grt grandparents. I can check if I have them on my tree.
Stargazer21

Postby sapphiregemini » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:12 pm

that's great news! My Great Grandmother was Epilena O'Connor and her eldest son Roland Johnson was my Grandfather. where did you do your search to get so far back?
sapphiregemini

Postby Stargazer21 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:56 pm

Hi,

I am part of a team that manages a large family tree. The names I mainly focus on from St Catherine are O'Connor, Muirhead, Batchelor, Rhule, Ashley, Bedward, Anderson, Tulloch, Blake & Thomas. I do have your grt grandparents & their children on my Database of O'Connors for research, because your grt grandmother Epelena' s father was Augustus O'Connor. I have been trying to determine if Augustus and my grt grt uncle Gussy are the same. I have a copy of your grt grandparents marriage certificate. Do you already have any of this info, if not I will send them to you. Also do you know Epilena's mothers name. Uncle Gussy's parents were my grt grt grt grandparents and I estimate they would have been born around 1820 at the latest as their ist child was baptised in 1833. Still researching baptismal slave records I found with the same names.
Stargazer21

Postby sapphiregemini » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:56 pm

fantastic! I've not heard those other family names but this is fascinating. I don't know Epilena's mom's name but I'll ask an Aunt in Miami who may remember. I would love to have a copy of the certificate thanks. Researching slave records, would that be through the Spanish Town office as well as registrations? I'm not familiar with Jamaica I'm afraid as I was raised in Canada.
sapphiregemini

Postby Stargazer21 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:35 pm

Hi,

Please let me have your email address and I will send you the marriage certificate. I live in Wellington, Florida. The baptismal records of slaves I have been looking at can be found on the FamilySearch website. I also use the Jamaica Family Search website as a tool. I have found info on my Manchester paternal line there.
Stargazer21

Postby bimjim » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:56 am

sapphiregemini, I would remind you that, according to the Terms Of Use here, you are NOT allowed to Post email addresses in a public Post. I suggest you pass your email address in a PM - Private Message.

Simply click on Stargazer21's bolded username link at the beginning of any of their Posts, look further down in that new page and find the link "PM: Send private message", click on that link and a Private Message form will open, already addressed to Stargazer21 - it's that simple.

Alternatively, look to the right of each of Stargazer21's Posts and you will see a small square blue icom marked "PM" (immediately under "Posts:" and "Joined:"), and that will take you to a Private Message form already addressed to Stargazer21.

Best wishes,

Jim Lynch
Owner/Admin
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby TCTulloch » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:37 am

Greetings,

According to my father, he knows of an "O'Connor" from Jamaica. My father side is all from Clarendon, specifically the Rock River, Crofts Districts. My father is a Tulloch. His mother is a Tulloch and father is a Fearon. His paternal grandmother, Margaret Richards, died in 1939 in Wilbury, Clarendon. On her death certificate, Nehemiah O'Connor is the informant and is listed as cousin of the deceased.
TCTulloch

Return to Jamaica