Crasto

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

Crasto

Postby Tom McGlinchey » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:15 pm

I am looking into tracing my ancestry to Abraham Gabay Crasto, a Sephardic Jew born in Surinam and later moved to New York, briefly returning to Surinam with his wife.

Most curious is that his wife was Christian. Their New York marriage at the age of 17 was in a Christian ceremony. Upon their brief return in their early twenties to Suriname, they were married in a Jewish ceremony.

Upon their return to New York, they again lived as Christians, and are buried in the non-denominational cemetery in Sleepy Hollow, NY. b. 1797 d. 1878 (corrected)

Abraham's adoptive father, David, had been instrumental in establishing a Sephardic cemetery in New York. There was some controversy concerning the burial of his wife in that cemetery. She is thus in the Crasto plot in Sleepy Hollow (I have yet been able to confirm this).

I am also interested in the surrounding cultural, religious, political and economic issues represented by Abraham's life. They are extraordinary to consider.

Thanks!

Tom
Last edited by Tom McGlinchey on Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom McGlinchey - Seeking McGlinchey, Purdy, Crasto, Munson, Lopes Telles (Surinam), and David Gabay Crasto (Venezuela) ancestry.
Tom McGlinchey

Re: Crasto

Postby Tom McGlinchey » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:55 pm

Still actively looking, thanks! Abraham Crasto married into the Purdy family, and their daughter married into the Munson family.

- Tom
Tom McGlinchey - Seeking McGlinchey, Purdy, Crasto, Munson, Lopes Telles (Surinam), and David Gabay Crasto (Venezuela) ancestry.
Tom McGlinchey

Re: Crasto

Postby Tom McGlinchey » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:34 am

Still actively searching after family names. I welcome all inquiries.
Tom McGlinchey

Return to Surinam/Suriname