Various Surnames

Discussion related to Caribbean genealogy.
THIS BOARD IS NOT FOR LISTING SURNAMES!!

Various Surnames

Postby richard » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:42 am

I have a list of names kindly sent me of baptisms in St Vincent Cathedral in the period 1813/1814, incl various British Military people, 90 Regt and people from Union Island and Bequia and lots of others. Not all anglo-saxon names either. Anyone interested please ask.
I have a name Polly KITHRY and I dont know what nationality she is. Any ideas please?
richard

Postby bimjim » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:00 pm

The two baptism records shown on
http://sv.usaroots.com/index.php/baptism-records/
suggest that the father was in the Royal Artillery and the mother - Polly KITHRY - a local negro... the children are each described as a "Free Coloured Child" (I think it's safe to presume that for 1813 a Captain in the Royal Artillery was caucasian).

I looked for both KITHRY and BEARSSIRE in the IGI (Caribbean Islands and British Isles), but neither appeared.
Jim Lynch
Owner/Administrator

Caribbean Surname Index
Canadian Surname Index
Irish Surname Index
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby richard » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:50 pm

Thank you.
In fact the man's name is Beausire, and he was French - or from Alsace Lorraine.
My interest is in tracing Polly Kithry and her nationality as the surname is not English or French. The best guess at this stage is that it is Punjabi, which seems rather unlikely. As to her race she could be a negro but that is by no means certain. If I can find the nationality from the name it might give some clues, unless you have other ideas?
regards
Richard
PS Curiously the source data is supposed to have been transcribed by the IGI!
richard

Postby bimjim » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:04 pm

In fact the man's name is Beausire, and he was French - or from Alsace Lorraine.

And a Captain in the British Royal Artillery? I'd stick a question mark there...

My interest is in tracing Polly Kithry and her nationality as the surname is not English or French. The best guess at this stage is that it is Punjabi, which seems rather unlikely.

KITHRI as Punjabi... I dunno... Google does not provide much in the way of that as surnames.

As to her race she could be a negro but that is by no means certain.

That's true... I was forgetting for a moment that the record-keepers marked almost all non-whites as coloured or negro, and these records are marked coloured - which could indicate mixed race, or simply non--white.

If I can find the nationality from the name it might give some clues, unless you have other ideas?

Not at this point. I looked in Ernest Wiltshire's expansive Caribbean database (on CD), but the name KITHRI is not even listed.

If I come across anything I think would be of use in the future I'll post it for you.

J
Jim Lynch
Owner/Administrator

Caribbean Surname Index
Canadian Surname Index
Irish Surname Index
bimjim
Site Admin

Beausire and Kithry

Postby caquart » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:13 am

I was just thinking that it is not unusual for upper crust British types to have French names. It's the legacy of William the Conqueror and the Norman French.

When you Google "Kithry", the word or name appears on several Punjabi/Sikh sites, so it could possibly be Indian.

Cathy
caquart

Beausire Kithry

Postby richard » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:08 am

Beausire, the man, is definitely French but took up with the British during the war as a result of the French revolution.
As for the lady I found the same Indian/Sikh/Punjabi connections with Kithry, but I havent managed to get any further with it.
She was in England about 1814/1815 as her daughter was born here but I havent been able to find anything else so far.
richard

Return to General Discussion