PHILLIPS - Barbados, Bridgetown, Christ Church

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

Re: PHILLIPS - Barbados, Bridgetown, Christ Church

Postby Pablo » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:13 pm

Stevenson, did you find Clarence Phillips as a child of William Abram and Helena Barrow? I found data, listed in my post earlier. That would make Clement, Reginald, Daisey, William and Annie and CLARENCE, as well. I examined birth records on Barbados, but ran out of time to complete anything. I am learning now of Daisey and Annie.
Pablo

Postby Stevenson » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:12 pm

Pablo
Yes you are correct. Reginald married Louise, not Grace. Sorry for the error.
Stevenson

Postby Stevenson » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:16 pm

Pablo
I saw your post on Clarence, but had not found him listed prior to putting my list together. I will add him to the list of children.
Stevenson

Postby Jellybaby » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:58 pm

I just came across the following for Daisey Elder Phillips:

http://www.geni.com/people/Daisey-Phill ... 2499628239

Not had a chance to look into it any further
Jellybaby

Postby Georgianna » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:34 am

My ancestry also traces back to Richard Adam and Anna Maria Phillips. Though I am not a pro genealogist and have only been to Barbados once for pleasure, at the time did not know my ancestry. I have enjoyed reading your posts and questions.

My great grandfather was Richard Edgarton Archibald Phillips married to Grace Elizabeth Devine. My grandfather was Norman Wilbur (born in Medford MA and buried in Lynn MA). I did not know that branch of my family and have no photos, only paper trails.

What I can share about him is that he served in WWII and is buried in Pine Grove Cemetery in Lynn MA

I would be forever grateful if anyone would care to share photos of their ancestors as they are family and it is the resemblance and period that interests me.

Thank you for considering my request.
Georgianna

Barrows Re: PHILLIPS - Barbados, Bridgetown, Christ Church

Postby Sunkissed » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:17 pm

As a part of my work attempting to help sort out (or not!) the Goodins, Goodwins, Goodens and Goodings of Jamaica in the 16, 17 and 1800's, I'm dissecting documents that contain the names those families/family.

The will of Col. John Cavalier, 1735, contained a wealth of family information, including his "niece" Mary, wife to George Goodin. To keep it all straight, I started a new, "Cavalier" tree on Ancestry.com using the information in the will.....and it has grown!!

http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/51758754 ... 86?pgNum=1

The reason I am contacting you is he mentions his niece Helena Barrow of Barbados. You have several mentions of Helena Barrow.....but the dates associated with her are too late to be the same Helena Barrow who is in Col. Cavalier's will of 1735.

I have one clue. I believe that Col. John Cavalier's brother was Peter Cavalier. Peter Cavalier is reported as having a daughter Helena Cavalier b. 1702. So that could make her the same Helena, married to a Mr. Barrow of Barbados.

Here is a link to someone else's research on Peter Cavalier and his family.
http://www.thecaverlys.com/pdfs/PeterG.pdf

Like my entire Cavalier tree, the page on Peter is just a "catch all." If I have a source, I include it....if not, it is most likely gleaned from someone else's tree to be used as a starting point. (Some researchers have him having children well after he died....but so far, I don't know if the dod is correct, so I haven't eliminated anyone.)

I thought this tiny tidbit might be of interest to you....and I hope, of some help.

Col. John Cavalier's complete will in on my Cavalier Tree or you can see it in this free, E-Book:

The New York Genealogical and Biographical Record, Volume 37 edited by Richard Henry Greene, Henry Reed Stiles, Melatiah Everett Dwight, George Austin Morrison, Hopper Striker Mott, John Reynolds Totten, Harold Minot Pitman, Louis Effingham De Forest, Charles Andrew Ditmas, Conklin Mann, Arthur S. Maynard

Page 51

Will of Col. John Cavalier

Good luck....and if you find anything on Helena Barrow, please drop me a note so I can add the information to the tree!

Thanks!
Pam
Sunkissed

Postby drongo » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:13 am

Hi, this is from left field, but we are trying to track down any information re: my Great Grandfather John Phillips. We believe he was born around 1855 but have no idea where in the World. What we DO know is that he married Elizabeth Lurchman/Lurchmin/Lashman/Lashmin or similar (signature is blurred) around 1880, that he was a Sugar Plantation Manager on St Vincent and they had a son, George Egbert Phillips who later went to Australia (probably after the earthquake of '02).
Knowing that you are associated with a Philllips family in the Windies is the closest we have come to getting some help as records are few and we believe many were lost as a result of the earthquake itself.
But, long shot or not, we hope that this may jog a memory or a record that you may have.
Cheers, Chris Phillips (Drongo47)
drongo

Postby ljc7 » Thu May 01, 2014 12:34 am

I am trying to establish a connection between the Phillips family in Barbados and either the Pierponts/Pierreponts or the Walronds of Barbados. My mother Eloise Walrond (Ordway) Evans and her sister Phyllis (Walrond Ordway) Muccino had many recollections of the Phillips family while they were growing up near Boston in the early 1900s. Phyllis informed me that either Sam (Richard Samuel Phillips b1862 Barbados) or his wife Ella (Eloise Ernestine (Johnson) Phillips, b1866 Barbados) were a cousin or distant cousin of her mother Agnes Louise Walrond Ordway, and she also mentions "old Aunt Liz", Ella's mother Elizabeth Jane (Griffith) Johnson, b1836 Barbados. Phyllis went on to list off the top of her head most of Sam & Ella's children, of which there were many, and told me they were all 4th cousins to herself and my mother. All of the Phillips children referred to my grandmother, Catherine Edith Leonora (Pierpoint) Walrond, b1860 in Barbados, as "Aunt Edith"..

Catherine Edith Leonora Pierpont had married Gedney Walrond in 1878. Gedney was supposedly the son of Nicholas Humphrey Walrond and Anna Maria Walrond Howell (no records to prove this), and he died in tragic circumstances before 1885, where after Catherine Edith Leonora emigrated to Boston in 1886 with my grandmother, Agnes Louise Walrond in tow. They resided in Somerville, MA in the late 1890s and in Cambridge in the early 1900s with the Lestrange family. It was in the early 1900s in Somerville or Medford that my Aunt Phyllis became acquainted with all the children, her 4th cousins, of "Sam" (Richard Samuel Phillips). There must be a family connection, and I am hoping someone will help me find it!
Either the Phillips, Griffiths or Johnsons were related to the Pierponts or the Walronds in Barbados, from whence they all immigrated to Boston. So far I have been unable to pin down the connection. Any help would be much appreciated!
ljc7

Postby Jellybaby » Thu May 01, 2014 7:27 am

Hi

Take a look at the following link to my family tree.

http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/786866 ... =537461318

I am not directly related. I researched this side of the family for my Dad's second cousin - Blanche Boland - whose mother was Annie Violet Phillips. I believe Annie Violet was born in Barbados, but grew up in USA. She subsequently cam to the UK and married here in Liverpool.

Best Regards,

Alison
Jellybaby

Postby MichelleC » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:39 am

I. Richard Samuel and Eloise Ernestine Phillips were my great grand parents.

Wendell Phillips born 12 Jun 1900 Medford, Middlesex, Massachusetts Died 03 Aug 1969 Camden, NJ. Buried in Glassboro NJ.

His second wife was Maria Rita Henry born 17 Mar 1914 Philadelphia, Delaware, Pennsylvania died 4 OCTOBER 1983 Saint Augustine Fla. (my maternal grandmother and grandfather).

They had four Daughters, Eloise Marie Phillips 1935 (My Mom), Alice Mae Phillips 1938, Dorothy Louise Phillips 1940, and Theresa Marie Phillips 1942
MichelleC

Postby pjpreston » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:56 am

I am the great granddaughter of Reginald and Louise Gertrude Wilde. Her children (that I know of) were Ernie Phillips, Reginald Phillips, Ruth Phillips and Eleanor Phillips (these were the only people I came in contact with).

Ruth Phillips married name Ruth Gordon was my grandmother. She had 3 children, Ruth Gordon (daughter same name), Richard Gordon and Allen Gordon (he likes to be called Al).

My mother Ruth Gordon (daughter) had myself and my brother Paul. She married my father John Preston.

My mother grew up in Boston then moved to Quincy. My grandmother spent her later years in Weymouth, MA and we have some cousins that we used to get together with from the above named great aunt and uncles.

I had the opportunity to spend time with my great grandmother who lived to be almost 100. She would tell me wonderful things about my great grandfather and I could tell she loved him very much.
pjpreston

Previous

Return to Surnames P