HUGHES - Anguilla, Barbados, St. Maarten, St. Martin

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

HUGHES - Anguilla, Barbados, St. Maarten, St. Martin

Postby Mei » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:36 pm

Hello,

I am seeking information regarding the late Alice Augusta Hughes of Long Bay Anguilla, and relatives. Her late husband was named Hezekiah Richardson of West End.

She also had a sister name Margreth (nickname Mug) that I met when she was 107 years old at the old age home.

I would also like to hear from anyone or relatives, I am the great grand daughter of Alice and Hezekiah.

Thanking everyone in advance,

Mei
Mei

Re: HUGHES - Anguilla, Barbados, St. Maarten, St. Martin

Postby Badminton » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:05 pm

Do you know the parents of either Hezekiah Richardson or Alice Augusta Hughes?

Descendants of Hezekiah Richardson

1 Hezekiah Richardson b: 1874 in of West End, Road Division, Anguilla. Labourer. Black. d: Aft. September 17, 1919
. +Alice Augusta Hughes b: 1874 in of Long Bay, Road Division, Anguilla. Black. m: September 25, 1893 in Civil Authorities Anguilla. Bachelor Spinster. 19/19. Neither signed. Witnesses: September 25, 1893 Uncle, William Fleming. Joseph A Hodge, Edmund J Hodge.
....... 2 Virginia Elizabeth Richardson b: August 23, 1893 in of West End, Road Division, Anguilla. Black.
................ 3 Anna Matilda Richardson b: September 14, 1917 in of West End, Road Division, Anguilla. Black. d: November 17, 1920 in of West End, Road Division, Anguilla. Black. Aged 3y4m of diarrhoea.
....... 2 Joseph Alfred Richardson b: May 2, 1895 in of West End, Road Division, Anguilla.
....... 2 Rebecca Gertrude Richardson b: December 17, 1896 in of West End, Road Division, Anguilla. Black.
................ 3 Unnamed Richardson b: March 27, 1915 in of West End, Road Division, Anguilla. Black. d: March 28, 1915 in of West End, Road Division, Anguilla. Black. Aged 1 day of congenital debility.
................ 3 Geron Alphonse Richardson b: April 16, 1916 in of West End, Road Division, Anguilla. Black.
................ 3 Cloreta Lavinia Richardson b: July 12, 1918 in of West End, Road Division, Anguilla. Black.
....... 2 Mary William Richardson b: September 27, 1898 in of West End, Anguilla.
....... 2 Wallace Annestrere Richardson b: July 25, 1902 in of West End, Anguilla.
....... 2 Ida Augusta Richardson b: May 17, 1906 in of West End, Road Division, Anguilla. Black.
....... 2 Lavinia Richardson b: April 24, 1908 in of West End, Road Division, Anguilla. Black.
....... 2 Zenora Richardson b: May 6, 1910 in of West End, Road Division, Anguilla. Black.
....... 2 Jemima Vanita Richardson b: April 26, 1912 in of West End, Road Division, Anguilla. Black.
....... 2 James Nathaniel Richardson b: August 7, 1914 in of West End, Road Division, Anguilla. Black.
Badminton

Postby Mei » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:17 pm

Hi Badminton,
I appreciate your information very much I am sorry that I do not know the names of Alice or Hezekiah's parents.
However I am a bit confused by the names of their children while some names I know their are many others that I have never heard of until now. What is missing is the name and birth of my grandmother, her name was Maud Elezie Richardson born August 31, 1900; her first child was born 16 March 1920. As a young person I stayed with my great-grandmother in her little house in West End, and I never heard her mention some of the names that I am seeing, anyone having clarity regarding the information that was provided please share as we the great-grand children are seeking our roots.
Thanks,

Badminton thank you very very much for sharing your information.
Mei

Postby Badminton » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:53 pm

All the records I gave in my previous mailing are from the Anguilla Civil Marriage/Death/Birth Records.
You can apply to the Court House, Anguilla, for copies of birth and other certificates.

Descendants of Thomas James Reed

1 Thomas James Reed b: Bef. 1898 of The Valley, Anguilla. Labourer.
. +Maude E Richardson b: Bef. 1898 of The Valley, Anguilla. Labourer. m: October 15, 1919 in Civil Marriages Anguilla. Full age. Bachelor/spinster. Witnesses: October 15, 1919 William Alex Gumbs, Reginald Hodge.
===

There is no Maud Elezie Richardson in the Anguilla Civil Birth Records. There are no Methodist Records for that d.o.b. as all were lost in a fire up to c1910.
I have looked for someone with a similar name but there is no-one shown born on the day you give. Nor is there any child born on the 16 March 1920.
Are we talking of birth in Anguilla?
Can you give me the name of her child and that of Maud's partner/husband.
It just shows that not all children were registered, however, the child is possibly not registered as Richardson and the names were often changed at baptism; the day given for birth could be out by a few days as the person who registered it was often a young school child.
==

Descendants of Maud Richardson

1 Maud Richardson b: Bef. 1918 of West End, Road Division, Anguilla. Black. d: Aft. March 6, 1936
....... 2 Boy Richardson b: March 4, 1936 of West End, Road Division, Anguilla. Black. d: March 6, 1936 of West End, Road Division, Anguilla. Black. Aged 2 days of malnutrition.
==

Descendants of Maude Elydia Richardson

1 Maude Elydia Richardson b: Bef. 1909 of Sint Maarten.
........ 2 Daniel Morice Richardson b: 1927 of Sint Maarten. d: May 8, 1959 Sint Maarten, Dutch Antilles. Aged 32y.
............ +Lucinda Agatha Brooks b: Bef. 1941 of Sint Maarten. d: Aft. June 24, 1959 States mother a widow, father dead.
................... 3 Stillborn Richardson b: June 24, 1959 Sint Maarten, Dutch Antilles. d: June 24, 1959 Sint Maarten, Dutch Antilles.
==

Descendants of Maude Richardson

1 Maude Richardson d: October 1973 Burial: Methodist Cemetery, Anguilla. In same plot as Richard died 1940 August, and a Richard died October 1970.
==
Do any of the above seem familiar as to be your g.mother?
Badminton

Postby Mei » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:16 pm

Hi Badminton,
Your last posting regarding my grand mother is by far the best, she did have a son Daniel Morice Richardson who was born in Anguilla he married Lucinda Agatha in St. Maarten she is still alive Daniel died many years ago, on his birth register did have his mothers name as
Maude Elydia Richardson. Maude first child was Anesta Mardrica Richardson (b) March 9, 1920 Registry 6067 page#500 Maud also had eight children with Charles Richardson who's parents where Sarah and Harmond Richardson of West End.
These are the many names of Maud Richardson.
Maud Elezie, Maud Eliza, Maude Eleazer, Maud Elesea.

Thanks Badminton, I will post any further info that I find.
Mei

Postby Badminton » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:32 pm

Descendants of Daniel Morice Richardson

1 Daniel Morice Richardson b: 1927 of Sint Maarten. d: May 8, 1959 Sint Maarten, Dutch Antilles. Aged 32y.
. +Lucinda Agatha Brooks b: Bef. 1933 of Sint Maarten. d: Aft. June 24, 1959 States mother a widow, father dead.
........ 2 Harold Lorencio Richardson b: Bet. 1951 - 1952 Sint Maarten, Dutch Antilles. d: June 25, 1952 Sint Maarten, Dutch Antilles.
........ 2 Stillborn Richardson b: May 19, 1953 Sint Maarten, Dutch Antilles. d: May 19, 1953 Sint Maarten, Dutch Antilles.
........ 2 Daniel Dolfinus Richardson b: February 13, 1955 Sint Maarten, Dutch Antilles. d: February 16, 1955 Sint Maarten, Dutch Antilles.
........ 2 Stillborn Richardson b: June 24, 1959 Sint Maarten, Dutch Antilles. d: June 24, 1959 Sint Maarten, Dutch Antilles.
======

Was Charles Richardson, Charles Diego Richardson born 1907? I have Sarah and Hammond Richardson of West End (both termed coloured), parents of Oliver Austin Richardson born 28 April 1911 of West End, coloured man.
Badminton

Postby Badminton » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:32 pm

1 Daniel Morice Richardson b: 1927 of Sint Maarten. d: May 8, 1959 Sint Maarten, Dutch Antilles. Aged 32y.
. +Lucinda Agatha Brooks b: Bef. 1933 of Sint Maarten. d: Aft. June 24, 1959 States mother a widow, father dead.
........ 2 Harold Lorencio Richardson b: Bet. 1951 - 1952 Sint Maarten, Dutch Antilles. d: June 25, 1952 Sint Maarten, Dutch Antilles.
........ 2 Stillborn Richardson b: May 19, 1953 Sint Maarten, Dutch Antilles. d: May 19, 1953 Sint Maarten, Dutch Antilles.
........ 2 Daniel Dolfinus Richardson b: February 13, 1955 Sint Maarten, Dutch Antilles. d: February 16, 1955 Sint Maarten, Dutch Antilles.
........ 2 Stillborn Richardson b: June 24, 1959 Sint Maarten, Dutch Antilles. d: June 24, 1959 Sint Maarten, Dutch Antilles.
======

Was Charles Richardson, Charles Diego Richardson born 1907? I have Sarah and Hammond Richardson of West End (both termed coloured), parents of Oliver Austin Richardson born 28 April 1911 of West End, coloured man.
Badminton

Postby Badminton » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:38 pm

======

Badminton

Postby Mei » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:13 pm

Yes, to Charles Deigo Richardson, son of Hammond and Sarah Richardson brother of Oliver Austin Richardson .
Charles was the father of Daniel Morice, who was my mother's brother.
Daniel is survived by his wife Lucinda Richardson Brooks and three daughters on the island of St. Maarten.
Badminton your info by far the best, below are some more of the children of Maude E. Richardson and Charles D. Richardson
Charles Albair Richardson, .b. Anguilla March 8, 1928; Pedro Rapael Richardson .b. Anguilla June 16,1930; Anna Dorister Richardson .b. Anguilla February 17,1932; Inez .b. Anguilla March 31, 1934; twins Carl &Lexi died at age two. Adrianna Richardson .b.Anguilla April 18, 1938 most of these births were registered by Alice Augusta Richardson nee Hughes and the register signature was I. H. Schouten
Last edited by Mei on Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mei

Postby Badminton » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:23 pm

If you can get hold of death certificates for the members of your family like Hezekiah, Harmond and their wives, they should show their ages. I can then look back into my database and see if there are any possible connections.

By the way, I have Harmond as Hammond!
Badminton

Postby Mei » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:05 pm

Hi Badminton,

I have the death certificates for Hezekiah and Alice, I will have to check with another family member regarding Sarah and Harmond.

Regarding Harmond, Hammond you might be right about the correct spelling of his name as I dont have any documentation regarding him. I do know that he was the brother of Hezekiah and Nathan, they also had a sister named Albertha all Richardson.

Alice Augusta Richardson nee Hughes death was registered on October 27th, 1968 === Hezekiah's death was registered on May 17th ,1950.

Badminton, what is the meaning of the term coloured?
Mei

Postby Badminton » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:27 pm

Guess by "coloured" those old records mean of mixed race as many other records state "black".
However, prior to c1920 people from countries such as Portugal (or with Portuguese blood) were termed "of colour" too.

Out of interest, did the death certificates for Hezekiah and Alice not give their ages at death? This would then confirm the ages they gave when they were married.

Reason this could help is that it can help pinpoint children who changed their names once the father acknowledged the child was his. At baptism often only the mother's surname was used.

I transcribed Hammond and not Harmond but even if I were accurate, doesn't mean the person who wrote the record got the name right!

Thanks to your info we now know Hezekiah and Hammond are brothers.
Nathan - if you have a year of birth or if he used a second Christian name, would be helpful.
There is a Nathaniel Richardson of Long Grund, black labourer who had children with Eve Constantia Gumbs, black labourer, both of Long Ground, Anguilla.

Children are:
....... 2 Rudolph Alphonse Gumbs b: October 17, 1910 of Long Ground, Anguilla. Black. Baptism: December 23, 1910 Anglican Church Anguilla. No. 80.
....... 2 Adella Bettina Gumbs Richardson b: June 17, 1912 of Long Ground, Anguilla. Torn. Baptism: Bet. September 11 - 13, 1912 Anglican Church Anguilla. No. 90. Torn.
....... 2 Blanche Lucile Richardson b: March 25, 1915 of Long Ground, Anguilla. Labourer. Black. Baptism: July 7, 1915 Anglican Church Anguilla. No. 60. St. Marys.
========

There's an Albertha R'son, partner Hershall Ruan with son, Charles.

===
Alberta R'son of West End, with children
....... 2 Nigel McAuley Richardson b: April 24, 1917 of West End, Road Division, Anguilla. Black.
....... 2 Helen Amelia Hodge Richardson b: July 23, 1919 of West End, Road Division, Anguilla. Black.
========
And several others possibilities for both Albertha and Nathan/Nathaniel
Badminton

Postby Badminton » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:38 pm

Is this the same Hezekiah R'son with a different partner?

Descendants of Hezekiah Richardson

1 Hezekiah Richardson b: Bef. 1881 of West End, Road Division, Anguilla. Black labourer.
. +Sarah Richardson b: Bef. 1883 of West End, Road Division, Anguilla.
....... 2 Clarise Glodada Florence Richardson b: January 30, 1901 of West End, Road Division, Anguilla. Labourer. d: April 30, 1939 of West End, Road Division, Anguilla. Black labourer. Aged 40y of pulmonary tuberculosis.
........... +Charles Wilfred Hughes b: 1893 of West End, Road Division, Anguilla. Black Labourer. m: September 14, 1922 Civil Marriages Anguilla. 29/21. Bachelor/spinster. d: July 14, 1938 of West End, Road Division, Anguilla. Black labourer. Aged 41y of myocarditis. Witnesses: September 14, 1922 Joseph E Romney, Samuel Jacob Fleming.
Badminton

Postby Badminton » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:51 pm

When Alice Augusta Hughes married Hezekiah R'don, she married with consent of her Uncle, William Fleming. Joseph A Hodge and Edmund J Hodge were witnesses.

Below could be the Uncle William Fleming as he is of Long Bay, do the names ring a bell?:

Descendants of William Fleming

1 William Fleming b: Bef. 1865 of Long Bay, Road Division, Anguilla. Labourer/planter. Black. d: September 17, 1919.
+Anna Hughes b: Bef. 1851 of Long Bay, Road Division, Anguilla.
....... 2 Edwina Elizabeth Fleming b: 1881 of Long Bay, Anguilla.
........... +William Lazarus Cannegieter b: July 3, 1887 Cole Bay, Sint Maarten. m: October 15, 1919 Methodist Church, Sint Maarten.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Baptism: September 4, 1887 Methodist Church, Sint Maarten.
....... 2 Reginald Standford Fleming b: January 4, 1885 of Long Bay, Anguilla.
....... 2 Edwin Anderson Fleming b: September 18, 1887 of Long Bay, Anguilla.
....... 2 Clara Jane Fleming b: December 5, 1889 of Anguilla.
....... 2 Pauline Elidad Fleming b: February 20, 1892 of Long Bay, Road Division, Anguilla. Black.
........... +Joseph A Lake b: Bef. 1892 of Long Bay, Road Division, Anguilla. Labourer. Black.
................ 3 Clasena Cassandra Lake b: October 6, 1912
Badminton

Postby Mei » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:15 pm

Hi Badminton,

With regards to Hezekiah and Alice age at death this is what was recorded.

Alice Augusta was 99 years when she died in 1968, Hezekiah was 77 when he died in 1950. Alice and Hezekiah's marriage was witnessed by her uncle and Hezekia's cousins - is what I was told.

I do not know much about Albertha, but her great and grand children are still residing on Anguilla.

Regarding Hammond I will try and obtain more information regarding him from a cousin on St. Martin, whereby I think she once mentioned the names of Sarah's parents, I will check with her to see what info she can provide.

I have always heard that we are related to the Flemings but I never knew how, this information will help me to clarify it with some of the Fleming descendants who live on St. Maarten.

I was always told that Hezekiah only had children with his wife Alice, no outside children. Hammond had two outside of wedlock.
Mei

Next

Return to Anguilla