Crasto - Surinam

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

Crasto - Surinam

Postby Tom McGlinchey » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:15 pm

I am looking into tracing my ancestry to Abraham Gabay Crasto, a Sephardic Jew born in Surinam and later moved to New York, briefly returning to Surinam with his wife.

Most curious is that his wife was Christian. Their New York marriage at the age of 17 was in a Christian ceremony. Upon their brief return in their early twenties to Suriname, they were married in a Jewish ceremony.

Upon their return to New York, they again lived as Christians, and are buried in the non-denominational cemetery in Sleepy Hollow, NY. b. 1797 d. 1898

Abraham's adoptive father, David, had been instrumental in establishing a Sephardic cemetery in New York. There was some controversy concerning the burial of his wife in that cemetery. She is thus in the Crasto plot in Sleepy Hollow.

I am also interested in the surrounding cultural, religious, political and economic issues represented by Abraham's life. They are extraordinary to consider.

Thanks!

Tom
Tom McGlinchey - Seeking McGlinchey, Purdy, Crasto, Munson, Lopes Telles (Surinam), and David Gabay Crasto (Venezuela) ancestry.
Tom McGlinchey

Re: Crasto - Surinam

Postby Tom McGlinchey » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:48 am

I have been able to determine that the adoptive father for Abraham Crasto, David Gabay Crasto, was born ABT 1770 in Maracaibo, Zulia State, Venezuela. His marriage to Rachel Lopes Telles (b. 1771, Jamaica) was in 1791, in Surinam. The family was later found to be active in the Jewish community in Surinam. At some point David came to New York, where a genealogy source suggests he may have worked as an ambassador from Venezuela. I would guess, instead, he was involved in trade. Abraham's birth family are among the relations in the Lopes Telles family. It appears that Rachel is Abraham's aunt.
Tom McGlinchey - Seeking McGlinchey, Purdy, Crasto, Munson, Lopes Telles (Surinam), and David Gabay Crasto (Venezuela) ancestry.
Tom McGlinchey

Re: Crasto - Surinam and Lopes Telles and de Mesquita

Postby Tom McGlinchey » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:05 pm

Rachel Lopes Telles is also related to the de Mesquita family; it is thought that Abraham is a de Mesquita.

Looking for help to find concrete reference sources, thanks!
Tom McGlinchey

Return to Surnames C