CAMPBELL, Jamaica - Hanover

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

CAMPBELL, Jamaica - Hanover

Postby The_Jacksons » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:50 pm

My Great great Grandmother was Alice Campbell, mother of Martha and Herman Houghton. Alice died around 1950.
Thanks
Leona
The_Jacksons

Re: CAMPBELL, Jamaica - Hanover

Postby jsobiz » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:49 pm

Hello,

I have recently discovered that Clementina Campbell m. Evans was my great grandmother. She was probably born ~ 1870. I belive she was from St. Mary or St. Ann and think that she had two sisters Angie anf Rebecca. She had 13 children born in St. Ann. Any conncection?
jsobiz

Postby Shellie » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:26 am

What are the names of Clementinas' children and where in Hanover are your Campbells' from?
Shellie

Postby jsobiz » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:36 am

Clementina's children were born in Dry Harbour, St. Ann. Here is what I have regarding the children's names and DOBs:

Margaret Campbell (Evans) (1891-1993)
Lunadel Campbell (Evans) (1893-)
Bernetia Elizabeth Evans (1894-)
Albertine Evans (1896-)
Richard Evans (1898-)
Aubrey Douglas Evans (1901-)
Annette Agatha Evans (1903-)
Avis Evans (1905-)
David Evans (1907-)
Joshua Evans (1909-)
Catherine Evans (1911-)
Valda Maud ( Evans (1912-2001)

Clementina was married to Samuel Evans "Mass Sammy". It is said that he was of Portuguese descent.

She may have had sisters/cousins named Angie and Rebecca. There is also apparently a connection to the Whitehorne family.
Last edited by jsobiz on Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jsobiz

Postby The_Jacksons » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:30 pm

Hi, Our Campbells were from Logwood, Hanover between Marchtown/Santoy.

Thanks for getting in touch

leona
The_Jacksons

Postby Messages » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:45 pm

I was wondering if you have heard of any of these names - my Mum's maiden name is Chambers, my grandmother's maiden name is Ellen Campbell. My Mum does not remember her grandfather's name on her Mum's side, but it has to be Campbell, he is supposed to have left Jamaica and went abroad, I don't know if it was to Cuba. My Mum's ggrandfather was called John Campbell. My Mum's grandmother died when she was little, she does not really remember her name. She said she thinks it was Annie Ellard but she does remember her ggrandmother, she said they use to call her Mother Johnson. If anyone has any information please contact me.

Postby RNO » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:12 pm

I recognize some of the names of people and places discussed in this message thread. I also have ancestors from Hanover Parish, Jamaica, including my great grandmother, Minna Ellard, whose mother (my great-great grandmother) was Annie or Anna McIntosh Ellard (born in about 1861, died in 1924) -- she may very well be the same "Annie Ellard" mentioned in the preceding message in this thread. Anna Ellard and her husband Adrian Reid Ellard, a tailor, lived in Green Island, on the coast west of Lucea about halfway to Negril, but Anna Ellard was originally from the Logwood district of Hanover, mentioned by "leona" in an earlier message in this thread. My great-great grandmother Anna Ellard was the daughter of William McIntosh and Eliza Muir -- this is as far back on this branch of my ancestry that I've been able to go so far.

Anna Ellard emigrated from Jamaica to New York City in 1913, apparently after the death of her husband, along with her daughter Ida Ellard (Ida was the sister of my great grandmother Minna). In 1914, my great grandmother Minna Ellard and Minna's son Frank Palmer joined Anna and Ida Ellard in New York City (Minna's daughter, my grandmother, Iris, stayed with her father, Lionel Palmer, and later emigrated to Panama). Anna McIntosh Ellard died in New York City in 1924 -- a few years ago I visited her grave at St. Michael's Cemetary in Queens, New York; my great grandmother Minna, who died in 1949, is buried with her.

I'm eager to find out if my history matches with yours. I at least hope that this information helps you. I wish I'd visited this website more frequently to keep up with the postings.
Richard N. Osborne
RNO

Postby RNO » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:36 pm

Hi again, Annette -- I just noticed another family/friendship connection in the information about the Ellard family that I sent to you earlier today in my private message. I had focused on your likely great grandmother Annie Ellard from Hanover Parish and the fact that my g-g grandmother was named Anna Ellard and was from Hanover Parish, but I didn't pay close attention to your mum's maiden name: Chambers. Upon a closer review of my notes on the Ellards, I see that when my g-g grandmother Anna and her daughter Ida arrived at New York's Ellis Island immigration center in New York in 1913, they told immigration officials that they were going to live with "Mrs. H. Chambers" whose residence was at 33 W. 99th Street in New York City.
Richard N. Osborne
RNO

Return to Jamaica