PETGRAVE - Jamaica, Green Island

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

PETGRAVE - Jamaica, Green Island

Postby Messages » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:24 am

Could anyone out there please help me find information on Petgrave Family Tree. I am finding it very very difficult. My fathers name is Alphaeus Petgrave born in Jamaica, Greenisland, Enecil, Hanover in 1930. My grandfathers name is Hubert Petgrave he was married to Zella Brown her surname could also be Harris not quite sure. Zella Brown father was a minister in Hopewell. My father had a brother called Birtie and 3 sisters Emilyn, Lucille and Maudlin. I know of 3 Grand Uncles not sure of names but i think it could be Leonard Petgrave, Willy Petgrave and Ezekiel Petgrave. My Great Grandfather was known as Lawyer Petgrave. I know my grandfather Hubert suppose to have owned a store but he died when my father was a child. If any one can help I will be grateful.
Last edited by Messages on Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: PETGRAVE - Jamaica, Green Island

Postby Lizzy » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:22 am

Hello, I am looking for relatives of Wilford Elijah Petgrave born about 1881, circa, his Father was known as Lawyer Petgrave.
My grandfather was known as Wil, he left Jamaica in the early 1900s and settled in Lagos Nigeria.
He married Maud Ethel Amblestone another immigrant from Antigua.
They visited Jamaica thereafter with some of their children.
Do any Petgraves out there know of a Great Uncle who left Jamaica for Africa?
My grandfather had 8 children and we the grand children and great grandchildren plan a family reunion in December this year.
We would really like to know a little more of our family history. (Good and Bad)
Lizzy

Postby Yulette Barrett » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:07 am

My grandmother is a Petrave from Hanover. My father was born in Lucea Hanover. My grandmother's father was Hubert Petgrave. Hubert had two other brothers, Jimmy and the other named either Elijah or Ezekiel. This third brother migrated to Nigeria.
Yulette Barrett

Postby Lizzy » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:44 pm

Hello Yulette, Great to hear from you!
Your Grandmother could possibly be my Mother's First Cousin ! Wow!
As a I mentioned earlier my Grandfather was Wilford Elijah, he came to Lagos Nigeria in the early 1900s, it was always his intention to return to Jamaica, but never did!
He had 8 children 4 of whom are still living, my Mother Hilda, is his fourth child, she is very much alive and well and is 86 years old.
I would like to learn as much as I can about the Petgrave family and it's origins.
Is your Grandmother still alive?
There is a very strong resemblance running through the Petgrave family here, very strong genes!
I would very much like to keep in touch with you and any other Petgraves that may be related to my Mother
Lizzy

Postby Yulette Barrett » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:51 pm

Hello:

I am at work but this is truly exciting. My grandmother would be your mother's first cousin. My grandmother Amy, passed away many years ago. I am definitely in contact with my aunts trying to get as much information as possible. Was your mother born in Nigeria and does she still live there? I am hoping she remembers or knows Lawyer Petgraves first name. I did ask my dad and Elijah was the Petgrave brother who migrated to Nigeria. Hopefully your mother also knows Elijah's brothers Hubert and Jimmy. I have reached out to other family members so they can help me do as much research as possible. This is awesome.
Yulette Barrett

Postby bimjim » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:36 pm

This may n(or may not) help a bit...

From the IGI:

1881 British Census

Ezekial C. PETGRAVE

Other Information:
Birth Year <1828>
Birthplace Jamaica
Age 53
Occupation Solicitor In Practice
Marital Status M <Married>
Head of Household Ezekial C. PETGRAVE
Relation Head

Source Information:
Dwelling 5 Cavendish Place
Census Place Walcot, Somerset, England
Family History Library Film 1341588
Public Records Office Reference RG11
Piece / Folio 2442 / 78
Page Number 32

You would have to find the Census sheet to determine who his family members were, but if you are looking for a lawyer named Petgrave with connections to Jamaica, there you are.

Best,

Jim Lynch
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby bimjim » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:51 pm

I dug a bit more, and found the following in the IGI.

All are from the 1881 Census, and appear to be two families. Ezekial's son was also a lawyer. I think it reasonable to assume - from the ages - that Ezekial and Lucy were married, and that Charles was their son - they are all three at the same address. I can't tell if the two groups are related, but all the film info is there for you as well for further study. Unless Lucy had William at age 15, it's unlikely he was her son.

Ezekial C. PETGRAVE
Birth Year <1828>
Birthplace Jamaica
Age 53
Occupation Solicitor In Practice
Relation Head

Lucy H. PETGRAVE
Birth Year <1832>
Birthplace Bristol
Age 49
Occupation
Relation Wife

Charles G. PETGRAVE
Birth Year <1858>
Birthplace Bath, Somerset, England
Age 23
Occupation Solicitor

--

William PETGRAVE
Birth Year <1847>
Birthplace Liverpool, Lancashire, England
Age 34
Occupation Theatrical (Actor)
Head of Household Eliza ADAMS
Relation Lodger
Dwelling 13 Lady Mead
Census Place Bath St Michael, Somerset, England
Family History Library Film 1341586

Emily Jane PETGRAVE
Birth Year <1850>
Birthplace Bristol, Gloucester, England
Age 31
Occupation Theatrical (Actor)
Head of Household Eliza ADAMS
Relation Lodger
Dwelling 13 Lady Mead
Census Place Bath St Michael, Somerset, England
Family History Library Film 1341586
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby Messages » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:52 pm

Hello my name is annette flash, I originally started the post looking for Petgrave families. I think i might be related to lizzy and yullette. My fathers name is alphaeus petgrave but everyone calls him alphie. He had a brother called birty petgrave but has since passed away they both married the chambers sisters. My father had some sisters but I do not now anything about them. My grandfathers name was Hubert Petgrave. My father remembers an uncle will and uncle ezekial, he said he thinks he was a fisherman. My g grandfather was known as Lawyer Petgrave. I still have cousins in Lucea hanover my cousin pinky and there is dotris who is in america. I am 100% we are the same family because petgrave is not a common name especially from the same district. Please contact me.

Postby Lewnox » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:16 pm

Hello, Lizzy and Yulette and whoever else can help me. I was excited to see your post a few days ago on Petgrave of Green island Jamaica and to discover that you are related to the husband of Maud Ethel Amblestone of Antigua. I am Kingsley from Antigua and my grandmother Charlotte nee Ladoo had a sister Catherine, more familiarly called Kate who reportedly went to Nigeria in 1904 and taught in both Nigeria and Sierra Leone. She is supposed to have gone to Nigeria to a cousin who I have deduced was John Amblestone, the father of Maud Ethel Petgrave nee Amblestone who was born in 1893. I still have not been able to find John's birth details and am interested in findin out how old he was when he died in 1928 so that I will have an idea where to search for his birth. I strongly believe that Maud Ethel's grandmother's maiden name was Elenora Colburn and that she was a sister of my great grandmother Margaret Ladoo nee Colburn. I was wondering whether any of Maud Ethel's children might be able to help me to confirm this from anything that their mother might have told them (given that the records here do have gaps).

Apart from the family interest, I am also doing some historical research and I am interested in learning about the African sojourn of Kate Ladoo. I am told that she actually founded a school in Nigeria called the Westerby Memorial School and would be interested to know from Hilda or any of her surviving siblings where I might turn to for information on her peiod in Lagos. In addition to Nigeria and Sierra Leone she taught in Antigua, St. Thomas, St. John and St. Croix in the Danish West Indies, noe U.S. Virgin Islands and in Puerto Rico.

Any information you can give would be most appreciated.
Lewnox

Postby Messages » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:01 am

Hello my name is annette flash formerly petgrave. I'm trying to find out more about my petgrave family I wrote before saying I might be and most likely am connected toi yulette and lizzy. My father is alphie petgrave well alpheaus petgrave he had a brother birty petgrave. I have cousins in lucea hanover. My father had 2 or 3 sisters. They lived in green island enecil. My grand father was Hubert Petgrave. My G Grandfather was known as Lawyer Petgrave. MY father had 2 or 3 uncles I know he remembers one he called uncle Willy. My grandfather died when my father was really young. I'm begging anyone for any information pleas please contact me. I've been trying and trying to find out about my family but nothing.

Postby Messages » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:11 pm

I really need Yulette or Lizzy to contact me. My name is Annette Flash formerly Petgrave. My Dads name is Alphaus Petgrave known as Alphie. He lived in Enecil, Hanover, Jamaica but his grandfather Lawyer Petgrave lived in Askenish. My grandfathers name was Hubert Petgrave. My Dad had an Aunt Amy. My Dad had a brother uncle Berty when their Dad died my uncle had to live with Lawyer Petgrave in Askenish, unfortunately my uncle has died or he would know more of the family tree. My Dad said he can remember a uncle Wil and an Ezekial. Your grandmother Amy is my grand aunt. please please contact me. I really need to find out about my family, I have no idea about them. My dad was 3 or 4 when his Dad died and he knows nothing about the Petgraves. It is said that Lawyer Petgrave came from Scotland.

Postby Ona » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:45 pm

I am a grand daughter of Elijah Petgrave & Maud Ethel nee Amblestone. Yulette & Lizzy are cousins on my Petgrave side, whilst Lewnox is my cousin on Amblestone side. Lizzy & I are 1st cousins as her mother Hilda is Joyce's (my mother) older sister. This is very interesting as I am very much interested in both sides of the family. My grandfather, Elijah Petgrave he had 8 children. We all know each but do not know much of his family in Jamaica.
On Amblestone side, my grandmother Maud Ethel had a sister who married a Nigeria & we know her grandchildren too.
I want information on Maud Ethel, when/she got married, her family in Antigua, etc. Out of her 8 children, 3 are very much alive - Hilda 89yrs, Millicent 82yrs, and Joyce 80yrs.
Can anyone help with this information or direct me to where I can access these?
Ona

Postby DGPetgrave » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:40 am

Hello All,

My name is Diahann Petgrave-Reid. My father is Prince Albert Petgrave of Duncan's, Trelawney, Jamaica (born March 20, 1930). From my mother there are two children (myself born March 22, 1973 and my brother Derek born Aug 20, 1976). My father had many children in previous relationships prior to my parents marriage in 1972. I estimate there are at least 14-18 other children most born in Jamaica. I have not met my half siblings, but I know of Sonia, Janice, Doreen, George, and a few others. Looking to meet more in the future. Hope to connect soon! There is a Petgrave Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/101748676584267
Check it out as you may find out more relatives... all Petgraves are blood relatives.
DGPetgrave

Return to Surnames P