OGILVIE - Grenada

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

OGILVIE - Grenada

Postby maximary » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:30 pm

The brother of one of my forebears emigrated from Dundee area of Scotland (Blaise Hall, Parish of Liff) to Grenada, where I have been told he fathered many children. Not sure which of the brothers was the one who emigrated - another came to Canada and founded the Ogilvie flour mills in Winnipeg. Any new info welcomed.
Maximary - Granddaughter of Alithea Maria Ogilvie; great granddaughter of James Ogilvie.
maximary

Re: OGILVIE - Grenada

Postby eloise ogilvie » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:22 pm

my grandfather is from grenada,is name is roland.any help?there is something about having 3 ogilvie brothers sometimes my family talk about.and his father was from scotland.
eloise ogilvie
eloise ogilvie

Postby maximary » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:12 pm

Thanks for your response. I have James Ogilvie born 25 March 1840,parish of Liff. Emigrated to Ireland and married Margaret Isabella Dobbin.

His parents were Peter Ogilvie born 10 July 1806 Blaise Hall, parish of Liff, and Margaret Reid born Dundee (family were silk weavers in Dundee area).

James' siblings were William Reid Ogilvie born 05 Feb 1842 and died May 1842; Kenneth Chisholm Ogilvie born 07 Jun 1844 married Elizabeth Kirkaldy inglis; Peter William Ogilvie born 07 Aug 1850 married Susannah Margaret Hollwey; Margaret Reid Ogilvie born 06 Jan 1853 married Sir Alfred Graham Dobbin; Isabella McOstrich Ogilvie born 06 Jan 1853 (twins) married Henry Cooke McFerran; and John Carmichael Ogilvie born 10 Mar 1854, died Feb 1884 Tongatabua (Society Islands).

James' paternal grandparents were James Ogilvie chr 07 Feb 1771 married (at Blaise Hall) Margaret Burman.

Siblings of Peter Ogilvie 1806 were James Ogilvie chr 1805 died 1871 unm; Ann Ogilvie chr 23 Feb 1808 married (in Glamis) James Gouck; Jean Ogilvie chr 12 Feb 1810 Blaise Hall, married -- Herald.

James 1771 parents were Robert Ogilvie born ca 1745 Longforgan and Ann(e) Battie.

James 1771 siblings were George Ogilvie chr 25 Sep 1768; Harry Ogilvie Chr 10 Jan 1773; Jean chr 11 May 1777 married -- Neilson; Robert Ogilvie born 23 May 1779 married Jane Gordon; Ann Ogilvie chr 15 Mar 1782 married -- Lindsay; Alexander Ogilvie born 30 Dec 1786 died 1847.

I believe it was some of this latter generation of James, George, Harry, Jean, Robert, Ann and Alexander who emigrated to Canada and the Caribbean inc Grenada. There was a Dr. James Ogilvie who was at one time Mayor of Kingston, Jamaica, not sure where he fits in.

Hope this is helpful.
Maximary - Granddaughter of Alithea Maria Ogilvie; great granddaughter of James Ogilvie.
maximary

Postby helenk » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:14 am

Hello Eloise,

I have heard my mother mention her uncle Roland who went to England and was never heard form again. My uncle George went to the UK looking for him and had no luck. I have been trying to find him for about 10 years and had no luck. This is very exciting. All of his siblings are now dead the last was his sister Claire who passed away two years ago. Uncle George passed away approximately 4 years ago in Canada. You have lots of cousins in Grenada, Barbados, Trinidad, Canada and USA. Please get in contact with me.

Helen Knighton
helenk

Postby maximary » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:04 pm

I was briefly in touch with an Ogilvie family member in Toronto, whose parents had emigrated from Grenada, I believe there are quite a few of that branch in Toronto,Canada. She had given me the name and address of a relative in Toronto who was apparently very interested in the family tree. I never heard back. There is another ogilvie group in Montreal who came directly from Scotland, and another in Winnipeg I believe. perhaps it would be worthwhile to get a list through Canada 411 and send a letter to all of them!!
Mary
maximary

Postby helenk » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:33 pm

Hi Mary,

I have been trying for years to find the link with Scotland Canada and Grenada. I have found some descendants of the Bell family who married into the Ogilvie family and now live in NZ . They are very knowledgeable about the Ogilvie Clan. I will send you the info in my email to you. I can't believe I have also found a 2nd cousin in the UK on this site. I look forward to linking up with you.

Helen
helenk

Postby maximary » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:47 pm

I am excited, finally perhaps, there may be a proven connection. I have some letters written by my great grandmother about the Scotland part, the contents of which haven't fully made sense to me as yet. I have a book passed down to me entitled "Seafield correspondence 1685-1708, second series #3." which makes fascinating reading and verifies for me the Seafield connection.

I am in touch with a distant cousin in western Canada, we haven't linked our info as yet, she descends from the Montreal line, I'm from Scotland -> Ireland line. There are gaps which don't tie together.

Hoping to hear from you again.
maximary

Postby caquart » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:52 am

Hello,

Do any of you have a Thomas Allan Ogilvie of Grenada in your family tree? He married Sarah Maud Eugenie Aquart , daughter of Jules Aquart and Sarah Victoria (nee Boyle). Thomas would probably have been born c. 1865. He was described as a land surveyor and sometimes as a planter in the records of his children's baptisms. The name Thomas Ogilvie appears often in the 1902-1908 (Film #1563468) property and probate documents for Grenada in connection with land surveys. For all of the baptisimal records he and his wife Sarah (nee Aquart) were residents of Mount Gay, Grenada.

Children of Thomas and Sarah are:

Eliza Gertrude 1891
Alice Maud 1892
George Allan 1894
Constance Louise 1896
Albert Franklyn 1898
Lyris Dorothy 1900
Emily Eugenie 1902

Any information on his parentage would be much appreciated.

Cathy
Researching the Aquart family: Martinique, St.Lucia, Grenada, Jamaica.
caquart

Postby Aogilvie » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:40 pm

Hi,

A Grenada family tree is being created on Geni.com. It is free to join. There is information pertaining to Roland Ogilvie (i.e. brother's sisters, and parents). Not sure if its the same Roland Ogilvie but have a look. Also, if you know any other links in the famiy tree it would be great if you could add it.

The tree has information up to a George Ogilvie who was born in 1807 and died 1866.

I am also connecting with a Rachel Godfrey who has a site called http://www.ogilviefamilytree.com/. She talks about three sons of a John Ogilvie who left Scotland for Canada, India, and Malysia.
Last edited by Aogilvie on Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aogilvie

Postby Aogilvie » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:47 pm

Maximary,

Where did you get the information about the brother emigrating to Grenada? That may be a big link.

I found on a website http://www.hmsvictory.com, that a George Ogilvie from the West Indies served in the Trafalgar war in 1807. I am assuming this is an uncle or maybe even the father of the George Ogilvie who was born in Grenada in 1805 and died 1866.

After doing more research i discovered that Ogilvies have been in Jamica, Antigua and St. Kitts. So the George Ogilvie in this one may not have any relation to Grenada.
Last edited by Aogilvie on Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aogilvie

Postby Aogilvie » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:03 pm

Hi Caquart,

Thomas Ogilvie's father was George Ogilvie and Eliza Ogilvie nee Neckles.

Siblings were:

James, Henry, George, Ralph, Ruth, Julia-brown, Dorcas, Henry, Julia, Thomas

All this information is on the Ogilvie family tree at http://www.geni.com.
Aogilvie

Postby caquart » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:07 pm

Thanks so much to A Ogilvie for information on Thomas Ogilvie - another little piece to the puzzle.

Cathy
Researching the Aquart family: Martinique, St.Lucia, Grenada, Jamaica.
caquart

Postby Margaret Ogilvie » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:08 am

To the Ogilvies of Grenada: I am a direct descendant of Geo Robertson Ogilvie and his wife, Catherine Campbell (great great grandfather and great great grandmother) who travelled from somewhere in (either Aberdeen or Airlie) Scotland to Jamaica. Their children, George Augustus Ogilvie and James Leopold Ogilvie, In 1880, my great grandfather, George Augustus Ogilvie married Hannah Elizabeth Arena DeLisser. They had 10 children with one of the youngest, Robert Ogilvie, my grandfather. My grandfather left Jamaica in the 1920s and emigrated to the U.S. He met my grandmother, Vivien Daly, (she was from Montego Bay, Jamaica) in New York City. They had three children, Robert, Stuart and Ted. After World War II, my father and uncles left the U.S. for Canada. I am looking for more information who Geo Robertson Ogilvie's family were in Scotland and where they came from. Would be interested in matching details about three brothers who left Scotland, one going to Jamaica (Geo Robertson?); the second brother travelling to Grenada and the third brother travelling to Canada.
Margaret Ogilvie
Margaret Ogilvie

Postby Aogilvie » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:13 pm

Does anyone know anything about a Felicity Ogilvie or a Richard Perry Ogilvie?

They may have been slave owners in Grenada (Felicity, Richard) and Jamaica (Richard) back in the late 1700s early 1800s.

I have traced my heritage back to George Ogilvie in 1806. However I have reached a dead end.

I do not know much about the slave history with the Ogilvie family, but I would imagine that either Felicity or Richard are linked somehow.

Any infor would be appreciated.
Aogilvie

Postby Marion » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:22 pm

Hi, I dont know of any Grenada relatives, but, I was going through my storage room the other day and found a lot of information on my moms family. She was an Ogilvie and her Great grandfather was Peter William Ogilvie. He had a brother called William who died in infancy and then had a son later called William Reid Ogilvie, They were from Ireland, originally Scotland I believe. I hope people are still talking about this family cause I noticed the post dates were from a couple years ago
Marion

Next

Return to Surnames O