FLAREY / FLERY

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

FLAREY / FLERY

Postby flares78 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:35 pm

I am looking for information on the surname FLAREY/FLERY circa 1845 - 1880. I have a birth certificate of my great grandfather (William Alfred Flarey) who was born in Sydney, Australia in 1881 which states his father's (Alfred Flarey) birthplace as 'West Indies'

Alfred's surname has also been recorded as FLERY on his marriage certificate and the birth certificate of another of his children (Mary Louisa Flarey who later married Louis Segal). All other references to the surname are spelled as "FLAREY"

Alfred is believed to have traveled extensively while working as a ship's carpenter before finally settling in Sydney, Australia in the mid to late 1870's. He married Elizabeth Kimber (nee Pearton, a widow, born in London or Bristol UK) on the Sep 29, 1879 in Woolloomooloo, Sydney.

Alfred and Elizabeth had 6 children; William Alfred (married Jemima Jane Donnelly in 1912), Emily Olivette (married Walter MacGuinness in 1903), Mary Louisa (married Louis Segal in 1908), William Victor (married Christina Richie in 1922), George John (married Grace MacMillan in 1915) and Leopold (never married)

Kind Regards
Andrew Flarey
Last edited by flares78 on Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
flares78

Re: FLAREY / FLERY

Postby Clement » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:43 am

Emily, a sister of William Alfred Flarey and Mary Louisa Segal (nee Flarey), believed that Alfred Flarey was born in France, went to America as a boy, and then visited many other countries before he began living in Sydney. She also said that Alfred Flarey's father was a ship's surgeon, which perhaps makes a link with the West Indies possible. Any information about the Flarey or Segal families would be most welcome.
Regards
Cathie
Clement

Re: FLAREY / FLERY

Postby flares78 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:16 am

Hello Cathie,

I have very little information on the Segal's but I know of someone that may be able to help you there. I've sent you a private message via this forum with my email address and a little more information so feel free to get in touch.

As for the Flarey's, I have managed to piece together quite a lot of information from within Australia but haven't been able to get many concrete leads prior to Alfred's arrival in Sydney. We have always believed that Alfred was the ship's carpenter and that his father (name unknown) was a doctor and a missionary who moved from French Canada to the West Indies (location unknown) where Alfred was born. I do not have a birth certificate for Alfred but we believe he born around 1845-1848 and was of mixed race. It is thought that he traveled extensively with his job and settled in China (probably Hong Kong) for a couple of years working as a police officer before emigrating to Sydney. I'm not sure what his motives were for coming to Sydney but it appears that he never left Australia again after he arrived.

Kind Regards

Andrew
flares78

Return to Surnames F