HUDSON - Jamaica, Portland Parish, Buff Bay

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

HUDSON - Jamaica, Portland Parish, Buff Bay

Postby donnamac25 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:52 pm

Trying to find information about the Hudson family that lived in Buff Bay in the in the late 1890s and early 1900s.

My great grandfather was Robert Montique Hudson. He died in the great earthquake of 1907, in Portland parish. He owned a general store in Buff Bay. His wife was Josephine Hylton Hudson, who died 1908 of TB. They had a daughter who died as a child, 2 sons (one named Lockley Rienze Hudson) who both died together in a house fire, another son named Robert Montique Hudson born 1901 (my grandfather), and another daughter named Minette Louise Hudson.

After his parents deaths, Robert and Minette were sent to live with their maternal aunt, Esther Hylton Dolphy in Linstead, St. Catherine.

I've heard that the surname may have originally been "Hodson" in earlier generations. Not sure if this is in fact true.

Any information about any of the people listed here would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
donnamac25
donnamac25

Re: HUDSON - Jamaica, Portland Parish, Buff Bay

Postby cameron74 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:26 pm

To Donnamac25:

My maiden name is Hudson and my father (now deceased) was born in Buff Bay, Portland. The time period of 1890s to early 1900s would apply to my family as well. The family moved to St. Thomas in the 1940s, i believe. My grandfather's name was Alexander Hudson and his wife was Ethel. There were 6 girls and 2 boys in the family.
cameron74

Postby caquart » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:45 pm

Hi,

Could I ask if either of you have any connection to the surnames Tivy or Sheldon in your trees?

I have this piece from the Gleaner. I am related to the Tivy mentioned who was previously at Porus (Manchester) where he worked for a Mr. Altamont Dolphy.

April, 1926

Fire at Buff Bay

Buff Bay, April 5 – About mid-night on the 31st ultimo the inhabitants of this town were roused by the ringing of the fire bell. It was soon discovered that the shop recently vacated by Mr. Tivy in St. Georges Street was on fire. A large number of people hurried to the scene. The roof of the building was in the grip of the fire. A ladder had to be placed on the building and buckets used. Further help was given by Mr. W.A. Valentine who supplied a fire extinguisher. With the help of willing workers the task was soon accomplished after the building was almost completely destroyed. The cause of the fire cannot be ascertained. It is stated that the building was not insured. The fire was first discovered by Constable Hawkins who was on duty. Corporal Williamson who was also on duty rendered material help with his staff. Rev. W. J. Thompson gave material help.

Cathy
Researching the Aquart family: Martinique, St.Lucia, Grenada, Jamaica.
caquart

Postby donnamac25 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:50 pm

Hi, Cathy:

I have not come across either of those names in my research. I do have relatives showing up back then with the surname Dolphy, though.
donnamac25

Postby caquart » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:59 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your response. I should also have mentioned the surname Marshall.

Cathy
Researching the Aquart family: Martinique, St.Lucia, Grenada, Jamaica.
caquart

Postby CORDELLA » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:51 pm

Hello Donna,

I'm a member of the Hudson family. My son stumbled on the site quite by accident while checking a Footballer with the surname. You certainly seem to have done quite a bit of historical homework. I am very intrigued. Let me tell you where my connection lays. Alexander Hudson was my grandfather and my grandmother was Ethel (Nee Barton). Both would have been born early 1900s. My mother was one of the 8 children of Alexander and Ethel. Their names were: Gladys, Austin, John, Ruby, Gwen, Regina and Winona (twins, affectionately known as Gina and Winnie) and the youngest was Anita, (all now deceased). I was born in 1951 in St. Thomas, the oldest of 3 children of Regina, who married a local man. My grandfather, Alexander, known to the family as Pappy died in 1950, also one of the children Ruby died the same year. Our grandmother, Ethel, known in the family as Mammy, lived with us in St. Thomas and moved with us to Kingston in 1958, my father had already left for England. She continued to live with us until we emigrated to England in 1960, she then went to live with Aunt Winnie in Yallahs, but died 3 months later. Like most Caribbean peoples, mass emigration during the 1960s means that we are scattered between Jamaica, Canada, America and England. Fortunately for me though, I am still in close contact with most of my cousins and their children both at home and abroad. Hope this is helpful.

Cordella
CORDELLA

Postby bimjim » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:44 pm

https://familysearch.org/search/record/ ... %3AJamaica

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KP1B-B45
Alexander Hudson married Ethel Barton 20 Jun 1917

Fathers names: William Hudson, Isaac Barton

https://familysearch.org/search/record/ ... %3AJamaica

Children

Phyllis Hudson b.24 February 1919 Buff Bay, Portland, Jamaica
father: Alexander Hudson