État Detaillé...de l'Indemnité...de Saint-Domingue - Tome 2

Antilles Francaises - Guyane, Grenada, St. Lucia, St. Vincent, Dominica, Martinique, Guadeloupe, Marie Galante, Les Saintes, St. Kitts, Nevis, St. Martin, St. Bartholemy, Haiti, etc.
Specifically for major differences in research methods and sources.
Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

État Detaillé...de l'Indemnité...de Saint-Domingue - Tome 2

Postby bimjim » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:18 pm

État Detaillé ... de l'Indemnité ... de Saint-Domingue - Tome 2 (1829) is NOW . thanks to Google books ! I have not had chance to Google around for the other 5 volumes (1828, 1830, 1831, 1832/33, 1834). I noticed that this volume came from the Wilson Library of the University of Minnesota. Perhaps the other volumes are in the process of being digitized. Please let me know if any of you find the rest of them! And if you can spare a minute or two, please give Google some positive feedback.

This is a real find, as there are few complete (6-volume) sets of this work in the US – the LOC has only 4 volumes. In many cases, the information contained in these official reports is ALL that you will find about the indemnity claims filed by your ancestors (if, indeed, they did file a claim – not all colonists did). I understand that many of the original indemnity dossiers no longer exist for one reason or another. What is left of them is presently housed at the Archives d’Outre-mer in Aix-en-Provence, France

http://books.google.fr/books?id=sy4MAQAAMAAJ&pg=PT145&lpg=PT145&dq=Jullien+Emmanuel+Marie+Guillet&source=bl&ots=tYNb2KWekp&sig=E2GiJe6eiXxGKVxhn6q9R-P4UnM&hl=fr&ei=HMCaTev4NMKxhAebhMzdBg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=6&ved=0CDcQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

When you click on the above link, on the same page, you will also see thumbnail images of OTHER indemnity publications. These others concern compensation paid for goods confiscated in France after the French Revolution, and have nothing to do with Saint-Domingue.

Bonnes recherches !

Augusta Elmwood
New Orleans, LA
Saint-Domingue Special Interest Group
bimjim
Site Admin

Return to Research specialties - French West Indies