LAING, Jamaica - Kingston

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

LAING, Jamaica - Kingston

Postby MicheleL » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:48 pm

Seeking info on family of Frederick George LAING and Desmerara LOPEZ.

They had 9 kids: Minnie, Frederick George II, Lily, Madeleine, Frederick George III, Gilbert, Louise, Vivian, Percival Charles.

Any leads appreciated.
MicheleL

Re: LAING, Jamaica - Kingston

Postby MrMole » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:20 am

Percival Charles Laing, my maternal grandfather, was a Jamaican jewelry dealer. He married my grandmother whom he met when she was a counter girl at Macy's in New York, in 1906. He died in Jamaica in 1930. He had three known children, one of whom was my mother, Hazel Laing. I have a great many photos of this family taken in the early part of the century in Jamaica, some of whom I knew, but many I do not. I did not know Percival had so many brothers and sisters.
MrMole

Postby MicheleL » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:57 pm

Hello "Mr. Mole",

How wonderful to hear from you. I'm descended from Gilbert Laing, Percival Charles' brother. One of his sons, my father Owen, emigrated to Canada when he was 21. I was born and still live near to my birthplace in Toronto.

What is your name and where do you live? I would love to share information and see your photos. I vaguely remember my father mentioning someone called Hazel Laing. What were her siblings called?

I hope to hear from you again soon.

Best regards,
Michele Laing
MicheleL

Postby MrMole » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:10 am

Greetings!

Well it seems we are closely related cousins - my sister and I remember "Uncle" Owen from our early childhood. We didn't really know if he was a real uncle or not as we appeared to have virtually no relatives.

I have a vague recollection of his being quite good looking, and a person I would describe as "elegant". I believe he had a round pleasant face.

My grandmother's name was Lillie Mae, but for some unknown reason she was known as "Billy". She had three children, my mother Hazel, sister Sybil, and brother Tony. We all lived at 25 Cluny Drive in Rosedale. My mother, sister, and I arrived there from England in November 1942.

The house is no longer there - it is now an apartment building - although a few of the large adjacent mansions are still there.

Sybil Laing was an accountant, and after my parents moved west in 1955, she joined them, and died in Calgary in her mid-sixties of complications surrounding diabetes. I stayed in Toronto with "Billie" and Sybil, and finished UTS at Bloor and Spadina in 1957. Tony Laing became a Canadian Army officer, served in Vietnam in the early sixties, and retired to become director of student housing at the University of Western Ontario in London. He died there tragically of a stroke when he was only 66.

I have been going through boxes of old family photos and would be fascinated if you could put names to those which have no labels on the back. One of them is a picture probably taken in Jamaica about 1924 of Sybil (about age 12) with Tony (age about 3) and a little three year old boy named "MacArthur". He could have been a brother of theirs who died in childhood, or the child of one of Percival Charles' brothers or sisters.

I am not sure of the ethics or the methodology of our getting directly in touch. I appreciate the professional security of the current administrator and don't want to bypass him without thanking him.
MrMole

Postby bimjim » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:16 pm

While you are not allowed to leave email addresses in Posts, you are welcome to communicate any way you wish via Private Message.

There is a tiny icon on the right of every Post with a tiny "PM" on it. To send a PM, go to a Post by the person you want to communicate with and click on that icon, and you will open a page in the Private Messaging area with the addressee pre-set to that person.

Or (more roundabout) you can make a note of the person's username, click on the "new messages" link at the top of the page (look for "* User Control Panel (0 new messages) • View your posts"), type or paste in the username and lick on "Add", and you're ready to create your message as above.

Private messages are internal to the Index... the message stays here, and the other person is sent an alert email to come and see the message. At that point they can respond with another Private Message or, if you included an email address, directly to you, the sender by email.

Sorry if this all seems to be difficult, but my experiences with doing this over almost 15 years make it necessary to ensure that my users are safe, and have the ability to remain 100% anonymous if they so wish.

Best,

Jim Lynch
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby MrMole » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:58 am

Hi Michele!

It looks like you tried to send a private message to me a couple of days ago, but it never came through. I asked the administrator about it, and he said you either retracted it, or inadvertently erased it.

I was going through my old family photos again and came across an old envelope with all the birth and marriage certificates in it. If you are interested in these, which include Percival Charles original marriage certificate, perhaps I can scan them and transmit them to you by E-mail.

I forgot also to mention that my uncle Tony's wife Joan Laing in London used to send us Christmas cards until a few years ago, but the letter parts got fainter and we have lost touch. Tony and Joan had two kids Bonnie and David, whom I would assume still live in the Toronto Area.
MrMole

Postby MrMole » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:31 pm

Hi Michele!

It appears you are trying to reply using the Private Message function, but nothing is coming through. There shows two attempted private messages in the inbox, but at the top, it says under "X New Messages" "Zero".

I have asked Jim Lynch for help and he is very patient with us senior citizens, giving very explicit instructions, but nothing seems to work for me.

Best for you for now to just POST A REPLY the normal way until we get this figured out.
MrMole

Postby MicheleL » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:59 pm

Hello Michael?

Isn't it annoying that the private messaging system isn't working for us. Anyway, if you'd like to find my work email address, just Google "University of Waterloo Library" and click on "About Us". You can find my name on the staff list.

Looking forward to hearing more about your family.

Michele
MicheleL

Postby bimjim » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:19 pm

A PM is very simple, actually... at the RIGHT HAND SIDE of MrMole's Post you will see a small section with the following...
--
    MrMole

[PM]
--
To send MrMole a Private Message, just click on the [PM] button and fill in the text area of the form provided - the addressee (MrMole) will already be pre-set there. If you wish, just delete the entire contents (it's just the Post you were just looking at) and write in your message in the blank space.

That [PM] icon is at the right of every Post, and is the shortcut to sending a PM to the person who made that particular Post.

Have a GREAT week!!

Best,

Jim Lynch
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby MicheleL » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:32 pm

Hello Jim,

I think Mr. Mole and I have been following these PM instructions carefully. My messages say they've been sent successfully but Mr. Mole does not receive them for some reason.

Cheers,
Michele
MicheleL

Postby MicheleL » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:52 pm

SANDY D'ARCY JEWELL - would you please send me a private message with your contact information. I can't respond to your earlier message because your username is "anonymous" which prevents my messages getting through to you.
Thanks,
MicheleL
MicheleL

Return to Surnames L