Cyndi's List -- what would I do without it?

Useful links in Caribbean Genealogy
(Please provide brief descriptions with the links)

Postby bimjim » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:39 am

http://paulastuartwarren.blogspot.com/2 ... ut-it.html

04 FEBRUARY 2011

I am sitting here putting together some syllabus/handout materials for upcoming presentations. It struck me how many times I cite Cyndislist.com in this material. Every genealogist should know about it. It links me and my audiences to thousands and thousands of websites related to genealogy and history.

On 4 March 2011 Cyndi's List will turn 15. I know she has a teenage son and this means two teenagers in her house. (Oh I don't envy her! However, I know her and she does quite well with both teens!) I went to her site and found these statistics.

Cyndi's List has been . since March 4, 1996.
In the beginning there were 1,025 links. Today there are more than 291,000.
This site continues to be one of the top research spots . for genealogy.

Cyndi's List has always been free for everyone to use.

To date, Cyndi's List has been supported solely by advertisements.
This site is in the process of a major upgrade, the first since 1998.
Goals for upgrading would include easier use for both the administrator and site visitors, making adding and updating links a quicker process for everyone. Improved navigation and other features are also on the to-do list.

For all these years she has been doing this for all of us. Out of her own pocket with just a bit of assistance from advertisements. It's time we thanked her and did our little bit to support her upgrade efforts. She doesn't know I am campaigning for this. But our donations will help her achieve the upgrade more quickly. Cyndi's List is a one-woman business and she spends most of each day maintaining the site. It's a full time job she does for us and for which she receives no paycheck other than a bit from the advertising. I can't even begin to imagine all the time it takes to post new links, correct old ones, and double check everything.

I did ask her a few questions and found out it costs $300 a month to host the web site on a commercial server. The upgrades will be done by a professional web development company to make the site an easier thing to maintain and to use.

If you go to the site, you can send her a bit of money to help out with something that will benefit us all. I am going to do just that. www.cyndislist.com

Thank you, Cyndi!
bimjim
Site Admin

Re: Cyndi's List -- what would I do without it?

Postby Jude » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:38 am

Wow, I had no idea that it was a one woman show, that's amazing. Haven't looked at the site for such a long time, but will start again. Thankyou, very interesting.
Jude

Return to Useful Links