BURROWES - Kingston Jamaica

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

BURROWES - Kingston Jamaica

Postby justjo » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:04 am

Hello, one and all

A very Happy 2010 to you all.

I am researching a great- great.

Major Edward Lewis Burrowes (four, 4, names not title! :) ) Born 1810 Kingston, Jamaica.. His father, Mathew Burrowes was a 'Surgeon', His mother a Sarah Hawes. Any information or leads would be most appreciated. ( And a clue to the identity of the real Major Edward Lewis would satisfy my curiosity.. I am wondering if he wasn't a local hero/antihero of note. :) )

I live in on the other side of our ball, so please know, if i haven't answered immediately, I will get back to you..

With many thanks bimjim for the opportunity to post this. Regards to you all.. Jo
justjo

Re: BURROWES - Kingston Jamaica

Postby Allan » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:51 am

Hi,
My name is Allan Burrowes.
I am also a Great, Great..... of Major Edward Lewis Burrowes. As you are no doubt aware Major is his first name not a rank. He was in the British Army in Ceylon before returning to England and migrating to Australia in 1839. He worked as contract surveyor in New South Wales before moving to Queensland and becoming the Deputy Surveyor General. He died in Brisbane.
I live Collaroy, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia.
If you wish to reply and let me know more about yourself we may be able to exchange Email addresses.
Do you have any details of M.E.L.'s forebears?
Looking forward to hearing from you soon.
Allan

Postby ChrisT » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:03 pm

Hello,
My name is Chris Burrowes and I am researching my ancestry in Jamaica. At the moment all I know is that my great grandfather Bertram Burrowes was born in Kingston Jamaica est. 1880's . I would be very grateful if you could share any documents, charts, trees or other info you may have on the decendants of M.E.L. Burrowes.

Kind regards,
ChrisT

Postby justjo » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:15 am

Hi Chris,

MEL Burrowes ended up here in Australia. I only have his direct descendents here, and they are all accounted for. I joined this forum in order to find out more about his father, mother and his life as a child, and to see if he had siblings. So far, I've not discovered too much at all on any of those points. Let me know how or what I can help with.

Warm regards,
Jo.
justjo

Postby Jill » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:08 am

Hello
I've just read the posts re Burrowes of Kingston, Jamaica.

Chris - Bertram Phillips Burrowes 31 Jan 1884 is the son of William Robert Percy Burrowes and Eliza Georgina Louise Phillips and the brother of George Burrowes who came to England. George is the reason I became interested in this family.

Please let me know if you would like any further information.

Kind regards,

Jill
Jill

Postby ChrisT » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:42 pm

Hello Jill,
Because I have no information at all on any of Bertrams siblings or ancestors, I would very much appreciate any lists, documents, trees or other resources you may be willing to share.
Many thanks,

Chris
ChrisT

Postby Jill » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:20 pm

Hi Chris
Since my initial contact I notice that there are at least two Bertram Burrowes circa 1883/84 Kingston which is always confusing.

The one I'm interested in married Celia Edith Webster and had nine children that I'm aware of. Oscar Bertram 1912, James Taylor 1914, Cecile Lucille 1915, Zoe Marguerite 1917, William Dennis 1918, Lena Lydia 1922, Dorothy Elaine 1924, Horace Phillips 1927 and Aubrey Samuel 1930 all born in Jamaica. They (Burrowes) were a widely travelled family and regularly went to England and America and sometimes Australia.

The other one who was a Judge / Magistrate was married to Virginia Maud Patterson. They had a son Bertram Errol (Earl) Burrowes who died in 1944 in an accident in England during WW2.

Does any of this help to indentify your Bertram?

All of the information I have is from on-line sources and other than the marriage certificate of George Burrowes (wife number three), Bertram's brother, I have no other documentation.

Jill
Jill

Postby caquart » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:00 am

Hi Jill, Chris and others,

I notice Jill says she is lacking documentation for the Burrowes family. I don't know if you are aware that the LDS church is gradually putting more Jamaican records ..

Go to http://www.familysearch.org; click on Caribbean, Central and South America; Scroll down to Jamaica Civil Registration; enter Burrowes in the search and watch load of records pop up; click on the images and download to your computer. At present there are only birth records available. Get creative with your search because sometimes the records were not transcribed accurately.

Happy searching,

Cathy
Researching the Aquart family: Martinique, St.Lucia, Grenada, Jamaica.
caquart

Postby ChrisT » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:39 pm

I know very little of her ancestry. Daughter of Walter Webster and Ida Gregory I believe.
ChrisT

Postby Midge » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:45 pm

Here are the members of Celia Edith Lilian Webster's birth family - there were 17 children and 5 sets of twins ... Celia is # 13 in this list. The birth records for #'s 14 and 15 did not show given names.
This information can be found on the LDS Family Search website in the 'Jamaica, Civil Birth Registration' section, and the actual birth registration records for each person can be viewed and saved - https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1538386

Father - Walter John Drummond Webster
Mother - Ida Medora Gregory b. 5 Oct 1857

1 Lilly May Webster b. 23 May 1878
2 Mabel Louise Webster b. 10 Jan 1880
3 Oscar Reginald Webster b. 10 Jan 1880
4 Blanche Isabella Webster b. 24 Aug 1881
5 Walter John Webster b. 24 Aug 1881
6 Hugh Gregory Webster b. 20 Dec 1883
7 Ellen Louise Norman Webster b. 13 Mar 1884
8 Edgar Claude Webster b. 18 Jun 1885
9 Leana Maude Webster b. 12 Feb 1887
10 Ida May Webster b. 17 Jul 1888
11 Wilhelmina Charlotte Edwina Webster b. 9 Jun 1890
12 Cyril Cass Webster b. 5 Nov 1891
13 Celia Edith Lilian Webster b. 5 Nov 1891, d. 2 Nov 1943
14 Male 1 Webster b. 5 Jul 1893
15 Male 2 Webster b. 5 Jul 1893
16 Ralphine Iris Webster b. 16 Mar 1895
17 Ralph Durwood Webster b. 16 Mar 1895
Midge

Postby Dee » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:50 pm

I am also a Burrowes from Kingston, Jamaica. I'm descended from William Burrowes & Mary Sophia Johnson through Jonathan Bainbridge Burrowes. I have quite a bit on my line, plus I have several trees running concurrently and trying to find the missing links, if any. I will be more than happy to exchange my data.

Unfortunately, there was no mandatory birth registration in the early years so we've had to rely on Baptismal records where they exist. These were also not standardized so even the information there is sketchy. I've been very fortunate to have gathered a lot of information from my father and gleaned quite a bit from other relatives plus the LDS database. Please contact me if you think we can help each other. Yes, I do have a tree running for William Robert Burrowes with many gaps!
Dee

Postby Trish » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:47 pm

Hi Dee,

My Great Grand Father was William R.P. Burrowes Jr. He moved to New York (Brooklyn) in 1902 from what he called the British West Indies (Jamaica).

He married Mary Utz, born in Brooklyn to German parents in 1905, and my grandmother was their youngest child, her name is Grace.

I also know that his fathers name was William, his mother's name was Eliza Phillips. They had 9 children.

I do not know any info regarding the generation before.

If you have any information about that is would like to know.

Thanks, Trish
Trish

Postby Dee » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:37 am

Hi Trisha; do you still live in NY?
I have a partial tree for William Robert Percy Burrowes. There is more information that I can gather but I've not invested too much time in it as I am primarily looking for the connections between my many trees. My Great, great grandfather was also William Burrowes born in 1792, but I don't know his middle names. Based on what my father told me when I was little, we are all related but there are many gaps to be bridged. I am gleaning as much information so that on my next visit to the island I can spend more productive time at the National archives. I am in NY, so if you are around we can sit down to exchange information. In the meantime, let me work on that aspect of the tree a little more until you get back to me.
Dee
Dee

Postby bimjim » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:55 am

Facebook contains many Genealogy Groups for Jamaica, it seems one per parish as well as for Jamaica as a whole.

I had a relative who was born in Barbados but who lived there the latter part of his life and was buried there, and I found amazing assistance from the Groups I contacted.

I suggest you also try those Facebook Groups in your search.

And have you tried the IGI yet? There are quite a few Burrowes here...
https://familysearch.org/search/record/ ... %3AJamaica

In fact there is a William Robert Percy Burrowes born 27 December 1879 in Kingston, Jamaica whose parents were William Robert Percy Burrowes and Eliza Louise Georgina Phillipps. I am sure more creative searching may provide the answers you are looking for.

Best wishes, Jim Lynch
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby Dee » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:06 am

Hi Trish
I do have a bit on WRP, Sr. & Jr. I have 10 children including WRPB, jr. who also served in WWI, with a Brooklyn address.
Let's exchange notes.
Dee

Next

Return to Surnames B