Abraham in P.Rico and Virgin Isles

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

Abraham in P.Rico and Virgin Isles

Postby benart2 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:59 pm

My great-great grandfather Bartolo (Berthold?) ABRAHAM migrated to Puerto Rico from somewhere in the Caribbean between 1815 and 1840. His ancestors may have come from Ireland or Holland or another European country, perhaps after the expulsion of Jews from Spain . The name is an Ashkenazi, not a Sephardic, surname, but traders in the Dutch West Indies Company appear on the roster of sailors plying their trade in Asia and in the Americas with that and similar names. I have many references on their participation in the trips between the US mainland , the coast of Africa, and the islands up and down the Virgin Islands. Enticed perhaps by the Spanish government's offer of lands and the new promise of being open to non-Catholic immigrants, many foreign citizens from these nearby Dutch (Curacao, for.ex.), Danish (St.Thomas)and other places such as St.Kitts and St.Croix moved to Puerto Rico after 1815. My ancestor B. Abraham married a widow who had inherited land and became a farmer and father to her children and their own. Where did he really come from? The land which he cultivated is now the site of El Conquistador Hotel in Fajardo, P.R.
benart2

Return to Surnames A