BANFIELD, BRADSHAW - Grenada, St. Georges

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

BANFIELD, BRADSHAW - Grenada, St. Georges

Postby momlane » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:44 pm

Elaine, seeking information on Walter Evans Banfield, born 26 June 1880, in St. Vincent, married to Mabel Banfield, born 26 June 1895, in Grenada. Also looking for info. on Edward and Mary Bradshaw, immigrated in 1919, to NYC from Grenada. Hoping this info. will lead me to my father Joseph Mayers, born 23 Mar. 1889 in St. Vincent.

Thanking you in advance, Elaine
momlane

Re: BANFIELD, BRADSHAW - Grenada, St. Georges

Postby TERRIE » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:34 am

I have Quite a lot on what You need if so let me know and I will send it to you, but I had some one search St Vincent for the Birth Certificate, its not in any of the records there I Think I will have to get some one in Barbados get it for You, but JOSEPH MAYERS does have descendants in St Vincent, as I know some of them,

Rita
TERRIE

Postby Emily » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:51 am

Hi Elaine
My Father was born in St Vincent Island His name was STEADMAN PERCIVAL BRADSHAW Born 14.4.1904 his fathers name was
DAVID his mother's name was EMILY BANFIELD he was born at Lodge Village.
I don't know if there is a connection there or not if so please let me know

kind Regards
Emily
Emily

Postby bimjim » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:31 am

Terrie, can you please give me some names and dates about Joseph Mayers? I may be related to a Mayers family from about 1750 in Barbados, and I am in touch with two branches of the Mayers family (on on the US, one in Canada) in or from Barbados who claim to have descended from a Mayers who came from St. Vincent.

TIA,

Jim Lynch
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby JohnG » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:12 pm

I am related to both the Bradshaws and Banfields. I also have a database containing 68,000 names of people with roots in Barbados. I am willing to share any information I have with those to whom I am related. I am also related to the Mayers. Hope to hear from some of you soon. Best regards, John.
JohnG

Postby bimjim » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:47 pm

Please check your database for a Joseph Mayers, may have owned Staple Grove Plantation. He was a Barrister and lived and practised his profession at a house which he built on a property near Bridgetown.
m.Ann Hearne (or Stearn??) Pollard 03 Feb 1774
m.Mary Lynch Adams 28 Oct 1781
m.Jane Waith 04 Jan 1784

Please also check your database for Hamlet Mayers Lynch, Minifred Lynch and John Richard Lynch.

TIA

Jim
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby JohnG » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:07 pm

Joseph Mayers married Ann Stearn Pollard (born 1751-Lowsley, died Apr. 20 1777 during childbirth, buried at St. Michael). She and Joseph had a son- John Pollard Mayers - born Apr 20,1777 - baptised 1777 at St. Michaels. John Pollard Mayers held a commission in the Royal Regiment of Barbados for 13 years and was a Colonel for 9. He was a member of the House of Assembly from 1812 to 1817. From Apr. 14th, 1829 until 1848, he was Agent to London for Barbados. He owned Staple Grove Plantation.
JohnG

Postby bimjim » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:04 pm

From my own database (22,000+)...

Joseph Mayers

Family 1
Ann Stearn Pollard, b.1751, Lowsley (Genealogies of Barbados Families), d. 20 Apr 1777, in childbirth
Married 03 Feb 1774 Saint Michael, Barbados
Notes
Barbados Records, Marriages Vol 1, p.236
Ref: RL1/5, 1774, p.36
Children
1. John Pollard Mayers, ch. 27 Mar 1777, St Michael, Barbados, d. 1853

Family 2
Mary Lynch Adams, b. ca.1758, d. 12 Apr 1788, Caribbeana Vol 3 p312 "...in the 30th year of her age"
Married 28 Oct 1781 Christ Church, Barbados
Marriage by Banns
Barbados Records, Marriages Vol 1, p.256, 382
Ref: RL1/5, 1774, p.36
Children
1. Henry Adams Mayers, c. 21 Aug 1782, Saint Michael, Barbados, Caribbean, d. 19 Oct 1836, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, England
2. Eleanora Lynch Mayers, c. 24 Jan 1784, Saint Michael, Barbados, d. 25 Apr 1843, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, England
3. Conrade Mayers, ch. 15 May 1785, Saint Michael, Barbados

Family 3
Jane Waith
Married 04 Jan 1784 Barbados, by License
Notes
"Joseph Mayers batchelor & Jane Waith spinster, license"
Barbados Records, Vol 2, p580
Ref: RL1/24, 1784, p.56

Also, an isolated record...

Joseph Mayers
Family
Jane Waith
Married 04 Jan 1784 St. Philip, Barbados
Children
1. William Pearce Mayers, ch. 28 May 1787, St. Philip, Barbados
2. Joseph Mayers, ch. 11 Oct 1789, St. Philip, Barbados
3. Jane Waith Mayers, b. 1792
4. John Mayers, ch. 01 Jun 1792, St. Philip, Barbados
5. Pearce Waith Mayers, ch. 03 Nov 1803, St. Philip, Barbados

Do you have any LYNCH in your database?
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby JohnG » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:59 pm

There are a few people named Lynch, but not those whose names you gave me. It would appear, from information found in other sources, that Hamlet Mayers Lynch was a freed slave of considerable means. He married Minifred (family name unknown) and had a son named John Richard ( born 11Feb1809 ). John Richard married Elizabeth Alsop and they had a son named James Alsop Lynch who married Rowena Cheeks. From some of the other sites I checked, you may have more information on this branch than I do. I wouldn't mind chatting with you on the phone or Skype about it. I'm living in Ottawa.
JohnG

Postby bimjim » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:52 am

I do know that the LYNCH family (Irish merchants) in Barbados came there as family overflow from Jamaica, where they were also successful. They may have gone to Antigua from either Barbados or direct from Ireland.

Those Barbados names are Anthony, Dominic(k), Patrick, John and Hasell (first names). The first names from Jamaica are John, Mark, Henry, Arthur, Houston, Larchin (and many more).

My "brick wall" ancestor was a free mulatto - Hamlet Mayers Lynch - and I have no life records of either him or his partner Minifred/Menifred. By life records I mean birth, christening, marriage, death or burial, although there is a note somewhere that he was buried IN St. Stephen's Chapel in St. Michael, Barbados. I have not been there myself, but two people have done so for me and there is no indication - plaque, inscription, memorial - for him, nor did they find a gravestone with his name on it.

Minifred appears, has the children, then disappears without creating or leaving a trace apart from the childrens' birth records.

A Hamlet Fairchild Lynch is born seven years after HML, and that is someone different. But by using that first name and the birth record that does exist for HFL I decided to assume that HF:'s father and HML's father are the same - Hasell Lynch. According to my records, Hasell Lynch has no conventional family, just goes around impregnating free black women.

My major enquiry now is to find out who HML's parents were, and if possible something about Minifred. So I seem to be unable to discover any slave or free negro birth records for the time HML was born, and it is a mystery to me why I am unable to find any of his other records.

As to his wealth, I suspect that the white Irish/Jamaican LYNCH family all left Barbados about 1800 and left him some property (which he then wisely parlayed into more wealth - he seems to have been a very astute businessman), but I have no idea where they went to from there. I am in contact with three members of that Jamaican family, and one of them - a direct male descendant - has a similar DNA profile. I'm not sure what this means, if anything, but I continue to search in Barbados for documentary evidence.
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby JohnG » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:26 am

I wish that I could have been able to help you in your search. I, too, have "brick walls" on both paternal and maternal sides of the family.
JohnG

Postby Joan » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:11 pm

Hi Elaine: Don't know how far you've got with your query. As a member of the Banfields of St. Vincent site, I've found a Walcott Thomas Banfield born 1868 in Barbados. As a young child, I recall my Mom referring to a cousin of hers as "Uncle Walter" who lived in Edinborough in St. Vincent and most likely is this Walcott. If you need more information please contact the administrator of The Banfields of St. Vincent Heritage. Thanks....
Joan

Postby mysunnyone » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:55 pm

from the thread: BANFIELD & BRADSHAW, Grenada, St. George (2013)
JohnG wrote:Joseph Mayers married Ann Stearn Pollard (born 1751-Lowsley, died Apr. 20 1777 during childbirth, buried at St. Michael). She and Joseph had a son - John Pollard Mayers - born Apr 20,1777 - baptised 1777 at St. Michaels. ((etc))

Hello, JohnG. Thanks for this helpful information (and to 'bimjim' for all the follow-up details!).

Q1. Where in Barbados is "Lowsley"? Which parish? I can find references to the Lowsley surname, but not the place itself. So many estates and great house names lost in the mists of time . . . .

Q2. FamilySearch.org (the Mormons) has a baptism record extracted from the St Michael Parish Register for John Pollard Mayers, giving a christening date of 27 March 1777. JPM would have had to have been born either on or prior to that date, to have been present at his christening. Therefore he could not have been born April 20, 1777. ( :) )
Caribbean, Births and Baptisms, 1590-1928 >Citing this Record: Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C51395-3 , System Origin: Caribbean-ODM , GS Film number: 1157925;; also the original entry is _viewable_ here: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,218320501

Comment: I did find a St Michael's Cathedral Parish Register entry on FamilySearch.org for the burial on April 21, 1777 of JPM's mother, Ann Stearn Pollard Mayers [written as Ann Hearne Mayers -- I viewed the original page], so her death date of the 20th makes sense. However, at at least one month post the birth of her son, she would have died _following_ childbirth, as opposed to _during_ childbirth. Just a woman's / mother's 'picky' observation. :D

Q3. John Pollard Mayers married "Ann" -- does anyone have her maiden name in their database?

Q4. JPM and his wife both died at Brasted, near Sevenoaks, Kent, England. The local Church of England is Saint Martin's, and a pretty-much complete list of Monumental Inscriptions can be found . at the Kent Genealogy Society's website. HOWEVER, neither JPM nor Ann seem to be recorded as being buried there. Does anyone know where they were interred?

The other Mayers cousin I'm in contact with (in BC, Canada) and I are still seeking where our two extensive branches connect. He had thought John Pollard Mayers was the key, a brother to my 3xGGF Roger Mayers (born ca1770, married Susan Forte born June 1776), but unfortunately JPM and RM have proven to have different parents. Roger's were James Mayers and Frances Bannister (my 4th great-grandparents). If anyone can shed some light here, it would be most sincerely appreciated.

All the best,
=]) Beth (a Mayers / Lewis / Seale / Haynes descendant)
west Hamilton/Ancaster, ON, Canada
mysunnyone

Postby bimjim » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:07 pm

Q3: I got the surname Barrow from Ronnie Hughes (many years ago).

John Pollard Mayers
Christened 27 Mar 1777 St Michael, Barbados
Died 1853 From Ronnie Hughes
Father Joseph Mayers
Mother Ann Stearn [Mayers] Pollard, b.1751, Lowsley (Genealogies of Barbados Families), d.20 Apr 1777, Died in childbirth
Married 03 Feb 1774 Saint Michael, Barbados
Family Ann Barrow
Children
1. John Mayers, c. 24 Feb 1801, St. Michael, Barbados
2. Henry Mayers, c. 30 May 1804, St. Michael, Barbados
3. Frances Mayers, c. 16 Aug 1805

From "Genealogies of Barbados Families", page 466, there is a maiden name of Stearn in the Pollard family - JPM's mother was Ann Stearn Pollard, married to Joseph Mayers, which may clarity the Hearn/Stearn question. Her mother was Ruth Stearn (married Dr. Thomas Pollard).

Q4. GOBF says he died on his Brasted Estate in 1853 (from the BMHS Journal), and that Ann died in childbirth (in Barbados?) 20 Apr 1777 and is buried in St. Michael (Barbados, I assume). IGIO Records a death of John Pollard Mayers in Sevenoaks, Kent, in 1854...
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/2NKM-MJ7

HOWEVER, he is also recorded as the father of the bride, Sarah Mayers, on 06 Jun 1838 in Brasted, Kent (there is no Sarah in my database listing)
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NNFL-4YH
and another John Mayers in the England and Wales Census, 1841 with a birth date 1781 and residence Brasted, Kent, so JPM almost certainly married again.

Genealogies466.gif
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby bimjim » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:34 pm

From my database - in my search for free mulatto Hamlet Mayers Lynch b.ca.1769...

1 Joseph Mayers
..+ Ann Stearn [Mayers] Pollard b. 1751 d.20 Apr 1777
....2 John Pollard Mayers c.27 Mar 1777 d.1853
......+ Ann Barrow
........3 John Mayers c.24 Feb 1801
........3 Henry Mayers c.30 May 1804
........3 Frances Mayers c.16 Aug 1805
..+ Mary Lynch [Mayers] Adamsb. ca.1758 d.12 Apr 1788
....2 Henry Adams Mayers c.21 Aug 1782 d.19 Oct 1836
......+ Caroline [Mayers] Seyliard
........3 Caroline Seyliard [Hyndman] Mayers c.13 May 1811
..........+ John Beckles Hyndman