Senior family in Jamaica/UK

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

Senior family in Jamaica/UK

Postby Clara Vee » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:17 pm

Hi,

I have recently started to trace the roots of the Senior family (my mum's side) in St Elizabeth, Jamaica and would be interested in any information anyone could provide who know the family or who are conducting similar searches on families in the area.

My grandfather is a twin that was born in Rose Hall, St Elizabeth, Jamaica in 1923.

If you require further information from me, please let me know.

Many thanks.
Clara Vee

Re: Senior family in Jamaica/UK

Postby retrotracer » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:12 am

Among my mother's (Edwards family, Falmouth-area) forebears, I have Sophia Francis Senior (d. 1868, Mt. Charles, during 6th childbirth) married 10 Jan 1860 (Hope Bay, by Revd Henry Browne, Island Curate of St. Margaret's Bay) to John William Manderson, Jr. (a surveyor, d. ca. 1869). Their 5 orphaned children (Rosa Elizabeth Sophia; Emily Helen; John William; Bernard Montague Richard; Ella Matilda) went to "The Lodge" (Montego Bay), home of John's sister, Rosa, spouse of Edward Fray (solicitor, and overseer of Catherine Hall Estate, St. James Parish).

[John's father (also John Manderson, married Rosa Bailey) at one time was Custos of St. James Parish, and, until abolition of slavery in 1837, owned Melvin Hall and a number of slaves].

"Capt". Senior married Elizabeth Miller; 8 children, no sons: Elizabeth (married Dr. Bateman, 4 children); Sophia Francis; Margaret (married 1st Mr. Risdon, 2 children; 2nd Mr. Parcels, 3 children); Anna (also married a Parcels, 3 sons); Mary (m. Mr. Finlayson; 4 children); Emily (married 1st Mr. Salmon, a daughter; 2nd Mr. Hill, no children), Letitia (married Archdeacon Ramson, 8 children), and Octavia.

Per my information, the Seniors were already settled in Jamaica by 1815; they owned a large plantation, were well-to-do for their time and place, and of the Jewish faith. There is a marriage connection with the Ormsby family (through Violet Ormsby).

I have further info on a later generation, if interested.
retrotracer

Postby Lyla Smith » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:11 am

Hello,

I am seeking details of my father's family, the Smith/Senior family land owners in St Elizabeth, Jamaica. Any information would be very welcome as I am trying to build a family tree. I have little information but:

SENIOR, Jamaica, Bigwoods, Pedro Plains, St. Elizabeth

My father was born Mervin Smith in 1936. But was raised Mervin Senior (his great grandmother's surname). In 1952, my father reverted back to his paternal family name of Smith i.e. Mervin Smith.

My Grandfather's name was Grafton Senior (born early 1900s). He married Adelaide Berlin who was also born in the early 1900s.

My great grandfather Lewis Smith (born around the late 1880s)adoped his mother's surname 'Senior' due to difficult relations with his father and became known as Lewis Senior. He began the use of the name Senior within the family line. Lewis was marriedto Kate (maiden name unknown). My father was raised by his grandparents Lewis and Kate Smith.

My great great grandmother's maiden name was Senior, it was her surname that was adopted. I do not have any other details about Great Great Grandmother Senior, but possibly born around the 1850s or later.

Other miscellaneous information: Uncle of Mervin Smith - Redell Seymour Elliott, Pedro Plains, St. Elizabeth (born 1920s); Aunt of Mervin Smith - Gladys Baker, Round Hill, St. Elizabeth (details unknown); Brothers of Mervin Smith are Nathaniel Atkinson born 1941, d.2003 and his twin Ernel Atkinson (known as Vee and Dee) Rudolph Atkinson and Archie McGhee (further details unknown all from St. Elizabeth). Other family details as yet unknown.
Last edited by Lyla Smith on Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lyla Smith

Postby retrotracer » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:56 pm

'Senior' family information here seems to offer no common ground with your search. Some indication of the time frames for your forebears' names might help others with your effort, if you have that info (e.g., 1800s or mid-1900s, the more precise the dates the better). Also, you might leave no doubt whether "aka Senior" is suggesting that "Smith" is a foster name, or some other explanation is at work here.
retrotracer

Postby Lyla Smith » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:09 pm

Thanks for your response. Things are a bit clearer for me now. The use of the name Senior in my post, comes from my Great Great Grandmother and was the surname adopted by my Great Grandfather. Have therefore edited my post, am new to all of this so welcomed and appreciated your suggestions. Lyla
Lyla Smith

Postby Jason » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:37 pm

Lyla, I know Mr. Archie McGhee. I'm from Bigwoods. I'm fairly young so I wouldn't know the history of his family. Would you like to get in touch with him?
Jason

Postby Lyla Smith » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:22 am

Hi Jason, what a surprise, I met uncle Archie once if it is the same Archie but have since lost contact.

Thank you very much for the information. I would really appreciate contact with him. If this is the same Archie he will recognise my name, Lyla. When my father lived in England his brother Archie also lived in England in a place called Birmingham, you can check this out. It would be great to reconnect with him and really helpful for me to fill in gaps in the family tree. Your name sounds familiar too! Thank you again. Lyla
Lyla Smith

Postby Jason » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:01 pm

I think its the same Archie, i know he lived in England and is married to a seamstress name Elen.
The Bigwoods community is flooded from the heavy rain over the past 2 days so his home is cut off from mine right now. I'll contact him as soon as possible using this string as reference.

Actually, he transported my mother to the hospital to birth me. :D
Jason

Postby Lyla Smith » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:56 am

That's fantastic Jason :lol:
Sorry to hear about the floods in Jamaica, I know it does rain a lot in St. Elizabeth. I look forward to hearing from Uncle Archie send him a big hello from me. So glad you read my post! How fortunate is that... Take care.
Lyla Smith

Postby CasMcGhie » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:40 pm

Hi Lyla,

I am Daniela McGhie. My husband is Cas (Casley) McGhie. He is the son of Archie (Archibald) McGhie.

As you can see, Jason managed to get the message to Archie and he called us here in England to tell us about your post.

We met at your fathers funeral but you probably do not remember me. We have two children called Cheryl and Jason McGhie, now 23 and 21 years of age. They were also at the funeral at the time.

We spell our name McGhie not McGhee.

Cas would like to make contact with your sister Angela.

We will write you a private message with our contact details and Archie's telephone number. He will be able to tell you all about the other siblings. Cas also knows a lot.

Your dad was not in Birmingham by the way. The men were in Nottingham, in the UK.

Hugs,

Daniela

PS: I am also on Facebook.
CasMcGhie

Postby Jason » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:39 pm

Hi Lyla,

I see Mr. Archie's daughter-in- law has joined and provided an option to contact the family. If you are unable to make contact via that means another option is to join a group I created on Facebook for our little community of Bigwoods - ''Bigwoods, St Elizabeth, Jamaica"...and I'll pass on Mr. Archie's telephone number there.

All the best at re-establishing family ties.
Jason

Postby CasMcGhie » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:05 pm

Jason,

Thank you for taking the time to deliver Lyla posting to My Father.

Regards,

Cas
CasMcGhie

Postby usdalton » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:36 pm

I am researching the Dunwell Family from Topsham, Manchester. Their daughter married Dennis Dwyer Senior, a planter. Their children were born in Mile Gully, Manchester. Dennis was born around 1840? Any information on this family is appreciated.
usdalton

Postby Rick » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:20 pm

My father Theodore Lascelle Senior was born April 23, 1923 somewhere around Kingston. I am not sure what parish.
He had two half brothers George Smith and Austin (Last Name Unknown) and he had a sister who died when he was very young. He was raised by Louise Drummond and George Headly.
Rick

Return to Surnames S