Codrington - Jamaica, Antigua 1680-1870

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

Codrington - Jamaica, Antigua 1680-1870

Postby chriscod » Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:20 pm

Please contact me if you encounter any references to a Codrington on or in transit between these islands during this period
Thanks\Cod
CM Codrington
Researching Codrington and related families in the Caribbean 1640-1880. Family trade and business networks
chriscod

Postby abollers » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:08 pm

Chris, are you aware of Codrington College, Barbados? It was established in 1745 and is the oldest Anglican seminary in the western hemisphere. It was also the best secondary school in the West Indies and many of the elites educated their sons there. They might likely have lots of info on the founding Codrington. My grandfather is a graduate. Thanks, A. Bollers
abollers

Re: Codrington - Jamaica, Antigua 1680-1870

Postby Badminton » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:27 pm

http://scholar.library.miami.edu/thomas/journal2.html

Chris
Am just reading through this Journal section 2 of the 8 by Aaron Thomas a Royal Navy Seaman 1798, in it he mentions visiting Barbuda and the Codrington Family who reside Darblay in Gloucestershire, etc.
Regards, Heather
Badminton

Postby Badminton » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:29 pm

Chris, you may have seen this before.
Regards, Heather

Aug. 25.

Antegoa.784. Governor Codrington to the Council of Trade and Plantations. My very good Lords, Yesterday by way of Nevis I received your letter of May 23, two days after I had dispatcht a packet to your Lordships from hence. A ship is just now sayling, so I must answer very much in haste. If the declaration of my intentions pleased your Lordships, my conduct since, I am perswaded, will not be disapproved, for I have pursued all my resolutions with steadyness and sincerity, and I no more pretend than I expect that your Lordships should take my word for what I assert. You are pleased to say you are not without hopes of a better regulation in time as to the dependance of Governors upon Assemblys. As to myself I will serve the King and Publick as well as I can, and be as little guilty of any mean arts and complyances below the dignity of my imploy (tho' my salary is not the fourth part of my expence) as if it were ten times as much. But I must take the liberty to say in respect of Governours who come abroad to make their fortunes, as I did to understand and establish mine, that Acts of Trade, Instructions and all your Lordships' wise and good Orders to them are verba et prœterie [sic] nihil. I think what I say is self-evident, but I could give such flameing instances, as would flash light and conviction into the Ministers. Pardon me, my Lords, this escape, and I will never agen trouble your Lordships or myself on this subject. I will write a separate and perticular letter of our judicature of all kinds.

Your Lordships are pleased to say you do not understand what I mean by saying I came too late to make a demand on the Governor of St. Thomas's; I deserve this reprymand for not having refered to the Order which was to demand one Bolton and Burke wth. the piratical goods they had bin entrusted wth. Bolton was before my arrival sent home, and Burk I found to have been before, as he still is, an inhabitant of the French part of St. Christophers, without my jurisdiction. I had it also in my Instructions to send to the Governor of St. Thomas's a caution both concerning St. Thomas's itselfe, and Turtola, wch. I did not faile to do by our Governor of Spanishtown. The Daneish Governor answered that as to St. Thomas's, the King, his Master, he supposed would give an account of his own title, and as to Tortola, it was a desert island, and free for anybody, he thought, to turtle at. If you would have me do anything more effectual in this matter, I beg precise and punctual directions, and I shall not faile to execute them.

I am glad you approve my proceedings against Capt. Norton. I assure you I proceeded not only with Justice but candour; he was never imprisoned, but for formality sake delivered the Marshall, but hath constantly had the privilidge of rideing about. There has bin no prosecution for the thousand pounds, because I did believe it would not be insisted on, and indeed I found him so brutally ignorant not only in his own business as Governor, but in all the common duty of humanity that I scarce think him an accountable creature. I designe to engadge Col. Elrington to go down to St. Xphers, where he will be more useful to the publick as well as assistant to me then at Nevis. He has an interest in that Island and knows all the passes of it very well, and as he is a man of courage and vigour, I find him also to act wth. great vigilance and honour in his imploy, and I believe will be found to deserve a much better then he has at present. I send your Lordships Col. Hodges' letter, which may serve to confirm what I lately wrote to your Lordships about the Irish at Montseratt. No care and vigilance on my part shall be wanting to prevent ill consequences. We have very unfortunately just a this time lost Mr. Parson, one of the Councill there, a man of as good understanding as any in those Colonys, and only unfortunate in being burthened wth. so great a family and too many imploys, for he was Secretary, Collector and Agent to the Royal African Company, besides a great trader on his own stock. I have given a Commission to a couz. German of mine, Mr. William Codrington, until H.M. pleasure is known, to be Secretary of these Islands. He is a young gentleman of great virtue and hopes, has a very good and clear estate in Barbadoes, and the foundation of one in this Government; I wou'd willingly lead him into business and make him fitt for ye Publick service. I give your Lordships my word that office shall be better managed then it has been, and I most humbly beg the favour of your Lordships' representation that my nomination may be confirmed and a patent sent from Home. I shall never faile to acknowledge your Lordships' goodness to me on this occasion.

I have sent your Lordships as perticular acct. as I cann of what is wanting in these Islands. Nevis, I think, can defend itself, and Montserat might, but that there's more danger from within than from without. In Antigua we have more ground to defend than in Barbadoes and not above a thousand fighting men, so that wee stand in need of very great assistance of men and small arms, and as to St. Christophers the Fate of that Island will be decided the first moment of the warr, the Commander that has the first news will certainly attack his enemy, and the English and French (since the accession of their people from St. Martin's and St. Bartholneys) are pretty near of a strength. If Mr. Grey had thought fit to have lent me the Barbados frigat, I think I cou'd pretend to secure that point. Signed, Chr. Codrington. Endorsed, Recd. 10th. Read Nov. 13, 1701. 2½ pp. Enclosed,
Badminton

Postby chriscod » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:06 am

Hi Heather long time no hear....thanks for the CCod bit. Nowadays have access to most of the correspondence if it is contained in the Calendars State Papers Colonial series....I find all sorts of goodies in dem tangs.

Mr Lynch has made this site very easy on the eyes and nice to use...thank you Mr Administrator!
Chris cod
CM Codrington
Researching Codrington and related families in the Caribbean 1640-1880. Family trade and business networks
chriscod

Return to Surnames C